Pollock Retires from international cricket.

Timed Out

Pollock Retires from international cricket.

Shaun Pollock, the South Africa allrounder, has announced his retirement from international cricket following the second day's play against West Indies in Durban. The current Test, his 108th, will be his last and the one-day series that follows the final matches for his country.

"I'd like to thank Cricket South Africa for allowing me the opportunity of representing my country for the last 12 years," Pollock told a press conference after the day's play. "I thoroughly enjoy the honour and privilege of wearing the Protea badge and take with me some remarkable memories having played against some great players."

"I made the decision at the start of the season that the West Indies series would be my last," he said. "I have been fortunate to be in a team that has had the calibre of players to beat any opposition on any given day. I have made some wonderful friendships and have played against some remarkable characters."

Read the rest here: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wivzimsa/content/current/story/330394.html

Sad and at the age of 34 i cant help but think he had a bit more to offer perhaps in the 20/20 or one day arena. But i suppose this paves the way for him to sign up with the ICL and earn him some well earnt cash. His career has had controversy but he certainly is a great player.

Re: Pollock Retires from international cricket.

South Africa will miss him most in England next year, his bowling was suited to English conditions.

He had a good career, lived up to the family name and can go out with his head held high.

He was too good a player to deserve being dropped before his retirement, though he does have the opportunity to have his one last shining moment in the Durban test. It would be a memorable end if he gets a five-fer in the second innings.

i dont know the reason why he was dropped. it must have felt bad. hes had a great career and could have played a bit more cricket but after he was dropped i can see why hes retiring.

pollock was a wonderful all rounder for south africa over the years. it was sad to see him dropped from the national team. he definitely deserved better. he could have easily played for a year or two but it was shocking to see that he was dropped recently against pakistan.

Along with Jacques Kallis, arguably the world's best all-rounder in the last decade. Really sad to see him leave the game prematurely, I think. I think his dropping from the SA test team certainly had something to do with it along with the emergence of Dale Steyn. Agree with AA that the England tour would've been ideal for him. Nice that he could end it off at his home ground though and on a winning note. SA will certainly miss him, his experience and calmness under pressure is something that cannot be bought, his unerring line and length while bowling created wickets for other bowlers (Think Ntini and Donald) as well as his batting exploits, especially if the top order doesn't fire as shown in the first two tests of the Windies series. How many times haven't Pollock and Boucher saved SA down the order. Ironically as his bowling was on the wane, his batting improved during the same period. Hopefully he'll still be involved in SA cricket in some sort of capacity, especially with the younger bowlers. I saw him working with Morne Morkel in the nets during the second test. Looks like he'll be playing in the ICL in the meantime and then Warwickshire are also interested in signing him as a Kolpak player.

He'll remain in the game for a another year or 2 I feel. No surprise to see him back at Warwickshire, he'll do well there.

As Shane said, his batting continued to improve and he has certainly been one of the best all rounders of the last 10 years.

Even now his bowling isn't that bad, even on pitches that many would consider unsuitable, I feel he'd at least contain one end.

He should never have been dropped. But it was only fitting that his replacement, Steyn, polished off the tail so well

i cant believe that there will be no pollock in the south african team after todays game. another one of the great legends retiring. a 5-0 finish to the series would be great for him.

He finished his career on a high. Winning the Man of the Series award in your last series has got to be pretty special.

He was a great all rounder. One of the two players to get more than 350 wickets and 3500 runs. I don't know why he was dropped. That surprised me very much. But the good thing is that he ended his career on top.

i watched the testmatch in Durban and the Onedayer in Durban to, was spectacular! he was amazing and we love him! not one person wasnt standing in his last over/s and when he was batting!
will remember that for ever!

He had a great ending too. He made the winning runs in the last two matches he played. We'll get the opportunity to watch him in action again in the IPL.

Back