Pulling back the length advice!

Bashypack

Pulling back the length advice!

Hi,

My natural length is a half volley! - I can bowl yorkers more or less at will - but I have great difficulty in bowling short of a length - and certainly don't seem to have any success with a bouncer - when I try either length I just get loopy tennis ball bounce - I know my action isn't ideal as unfortunately it is quite mixed but I have stayed generally injury free with 20+ years of bowling with it - I would just like to drag that length back to make it trickier for the batsman - as I'm getting older I have lost some pace so can't just blast them out...... any advice would be gratefully received .....! It really is extremely frustrating :(

Re: Pulling back the length advice!

I struggle too to push it back, but I suggest that you hold the ball with your thumb on the side of the ball (as far to the side before ANY discomfort) and two fingers on the seam. I attempted to develop inswing with this, but it has given me a shorter length and more bounce.:laugh:

Also, try to imagine that you are 'burying' your shoulders into the pitch, it will help you to pull the ball back a little, as well as giving you a little extra 'oomph'.

Thanks for both those other pieces of advice - I have tried bowling back of crease but still manage to get it up there! I think my focus is on the batsmans feet so that is where the ball goes ....

As for burying shoulders - do you mean at the point of delivery or prior to that?

Thanks again

From point of delivery onwards, it's more of a mental thing than an actual action. You just have to think that you're going to push your shoulders into the ground at the end of your action, it helps to pull the ball back and in theory give you a little bit extra in the delivery.

Back