Recording A Cricket Game

Sunnysaw

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know
1. What would be the best camcorder to record a full / partial cricket game.
2. How much space would be required.
3. Would i require any thing other than a tripod and camera?

Thanks,

Sunny

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know
1. What would be the best camcorder to record a full / partial cricket game.
2. How much space would be required.
3. Would i require any thing other than a tripod and camera?

Thanks,

Sunny

There's loads of variables you have to consider and some basic premises that have to be address.
(1). For what purpose are you recording the footage - who is its audience, how do you intend to use it?
Answer that and I can then go on to the next set of questions and answers.

Dave is right, that more info is needed, but assuming you are looking to point a camera at the pitch and let it run then you need to consider:

1. How much detail you need. The better the sensor/lens the better quality you can get. I would say 1080p or 720p is a suitable middle ground with a decent optical zoom of some kind. Zoom is where most cheap cameras and camera phones/tablets fall down.
2. How long you want to film. If you are filming a full 50 over match you are going to need a lot of batteries or a power outlet.
3. How much memory you need. An hour footage is about 4-5Gb (compressed HD as most cameras do) so you are going to need a suitably sized memory card.

Frankly, you can do pretty well with something relatively cheap that does 1080p. It's not going to look like Sky Sports, but it might get you enough for your needs. If you are only taking clips a camera in phone might be enough. but the zoom on most of those sucks, so maybe not. The features I would go for first as upgrades are optical zoom, extra batteries and memory cards.

To give you a product idea, a really good camcorder is the Panasonic HC-W850EB-K. I use a budget DSLR (Nikon D3300) that also does excellent video but you might need a longer lens than the one it comes with. Obviously these are general considerations, you may have more or less budget or they might be spec overkill/underkill for your needs.

Back