Removing stickers & tape from bats

Re: Removing stickers & tape from bats

I've always just done it by hand, pulling slowly along the grain, and then sanded it to remove the excess adhesive etc

A said above, the only real method is pulling them off slowly. You'll probably lift some wood with them but this can be sanded out.

I was looking into it last night and found a couple of websites where people were saying you can use alcohol or meths to break the glue residue down because it evaporates quickly, but they warned not to get it anywhere near the handle splice.

While I was looking around at that I came across another website where there was a bloke that was talking about Australian Willow as though it is on par with Essex Willow here in England? I thought that English Willow was noted as being far superior than any Willow anywhere in the world?

Use can use meths but you need to be careful as it can effect the wood. If you peel it off very carefully then any lifting should be minimal.

The main willow used for bats is Salix alba ‘Caerulea or English willow; Kashmir willow is a hybrid of English willow and a species native to that area (the idea being that you get a hardier wood which can withstand the growing conditions there as well as some of the desirable properties of English willow).

As far as I know there is no such as Australian willow although they do grow English willow over there and in a few places it's reasonable enough. The main problem is getting the watering correct to ensure the right levels of moisture in the fibres. I get the feeling that the bloke you mention is getting himself confused.

A lot of the top-range bats over here are labelled 'Made in Australia from English willow' which may be where the confusion comes from

mas cambios;370674 said:
Use can use meths but you need to be careful as it can effect the wood. If you peel it off very carefully then any lifting should be minimal.

The main willow used for bats is Salix alba ‘Caerulea or English willow; Kashmir willow is a hybrid of English willow and a species native to that area (the idea being that you get a hardier wood which can withstand the growing conditions there as well as some of the desirable properties of English willow).

As far as I know there is no such as Australian willow although they do grow English willow over there and in a few places it's reasonable enough. The main problem is getting the watering correct to ensure the right levels of moisture in the fibres. I get the feeling that the bloke you mention is getting himself confused.

Have a look at these. The first one is where I got the info re Aussie Willow YouTube - The growing of cricket bat willow

Then researching further I came across this - The Australian Cricket Bat Willow Project

The youtube video - the bloke seems pretty convinced that Aussie Willow has it's merits?

Here's the real deal though - http://www.cricketbatwillow.com/

It's still English willow though. Their aim is to produce a source of sustainable, locally produced English willow in Australia.

It's as much to do with the growing conditions as the actual tree. England and in particular the areas around Essex (and a few other places) is ideally suited to producing top willow due to the amount of rain as well as rivers/wetlands. Until recently supply has always met demand but that is not the case today. It's only the fact that Kashmir willow is around that takes some of the pressure off. England alone cannot meet demand, which is why they are looking at other countries.

There is little to stop good quality English Willow being grown elsewhere as long as the conditions are right, something they are trying to produce in the videos shown. The main advantage that Australia has is that the growing seasons are slightly longer. However, this is (currently) outweighed by the fact the infrastructure is in it's infancy. Given time I wouldn't be surprised to see English Willow grown in Australia overtaking Kashmir Willow in the market place.

It's difficult to say if one is better than the other as they are essentially the same thing. Some years the 'harvest' or 'vintage' will be better from one or the other. Most years will probably see little to no difference. The main advantage will be that the trees in Australia mature that little bit quicker, hence a quicker turnaround which in turn will lead to more willow available and hopefully a reduction in prices. On the other hand you have to ask if the reduced growing time will lead to better/worse wood - although I'm vague on how you would actually test this.

There is a similar program (or there was) in India in order to improve the quality of Kashmir willow. They were using selective breeding in order to produce a hardy willow with a good moisture content. From memory we are a few years (probably 15/20) from seeing anything worthwhile though.

it may be a little late but i had more luck peeling across the grain, none of the timber lifted...dunno just a thought...

I thought the reason english willow was so good was because the climate meant the willow grew fast and had other desirable qualities. Unless there's a part of Australia where they get a perfect facsimile of English weather I doubt they'll ever be able to produce really top grade willow, but it might well be better than Kashmir willow.

A few custom aussie batmakers grow their "english" willow in Gippsland, Victoria.
For example Fisher Bats. I know many people who use these and say that the willow performs exactly the same as english willow imported from england.

No bro, there can and often is wood lift. Idiot.

Then again as you're probably a bot spamming a shitty website, what does matter what you think?

Back