Run up and bound

Re: Run up and bound

someblokecalleddave;408566 said:
Tonight I was looking at the next stage on from the stand start, with the one step in and it kind of negates my skip and as you say it then makes it difficult to get side on. Taking it to 2 or 3 steps requires that I focus on just the walk in and delivery from a leg-centric point of view and I probably start to bowl more front on like possibly?

Sounds very possible. I think also with a run up, everything happens quicker and small problems get emphasized more in the result of your delivery. You also expect more -- i.e. you run up you should bowl faster and with more rip.

Matt2010;408565 said:
My main problem is the "jump". Do I need to jump and how do I do this

What I'm saying is Matt... jump or not... it all ends up the same thing anyway. Jump up may decrease your momentum -- but if you find it comfortable then use it. Then you can make changes accordingly.

Matt have a look at this. Till today (See other older videos) I had the 'Tich Freeman' skip, which I was never all that happy with, but it never really seemed to impact on my bowling, but today off the back of the 'Stand start video' YouTube - Leg Spin bowling drill 'Stand Start' I've been looking to produce a video with the next stage a 1 step and bowl video and a 2 step and bowl video, but the initial outcome wasn't that good as I have that skip. I uploaded the video and asked for peoples comments and several people made comments that were useful and I decided to go back to the stand start this afternoon and look and see if I could take it to 1,2 or multiple steps. Remember for the last 4 years I've always bowled with the skip. Half hour working with the stand start and then extending the 'Walk in' and I've got this far.... YouTube - Leg Spin bowling - walk in drill no skips or jumps!

The more I'm looking at my own action the more I'm realising the problems and here's a graphic example of the impact the skip is having.
Example+1.jpg

In the image above you can see I've super-imposed a line leading from the foot that is about to rotate around the pivot foot down to the stumps. If I'm right in saying, Warne and Jenner et al all advise keeping everthing going forward and straight down to the stumps, which case it follows that the rotation should mean the back foot in this image ends up on the red line?

Example+2.jpg

The reality in fact as you can clearly see is that I move bodily across the wicket wider, with my foot ending up almost 2' wide of where it should be! I think despite this and refering to some of my videos on youtube I somehow manage to maintain my head position and in doing so possibly some of the accuracy? But in the effort to keep the head in-line with the direction that the body and the delivery is trying to go - the movement across the crease caused by the lower part of the body means I have to lean over.

The initial work with the new 'Non Skip' walk in seems to suggest increased accuracy, so I'm possibly as Jim mentioned earlier on the verge of a big break through in my bowling?

Here's video version of the images http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUbaO3CFho

Dave, glad to hear you think the changes are worth continuing with. I would say the issue would seem to be less about skip/no skip and more about ensuring that your delivery stride is in line (along your red line in the frames) and this should then stop your follow through being as wide of the mark as you point out

Looking at the walk through footage, I would next try to increase your speed through the crease which would probably result in an extra pace in your follow through - so approach to the crease the same but with more drive from when you land your back foot. I try to get the young leggie at my club to increase each pace in the run up/delivery so that it is quicker and more powerful than the previous step (if you had a sound in your head think of rumble strips as you approach a roundabout rather than a constant steady beat)

Tony that's kind of what I was looking at working towards. At the minute with night drawing in a lot earlier, there's little opportunity to get out and have a bowl unless I start using floodlit netball courts and the like which I end up doing in the winter. I generally have a knock about with my kids outside the house, but the space there only allows for a few steps before a short delivery and we use windballs, so the transfer of anything learnt there to full size with a proper balls is limited, although not entirely useless. Tonight in that scenario I carried on with this new approach and as with yesterday it looks promising. What I have noticed though and this may end up being beneficial with regards my plantar fasciitis condition? Is that I'm using a whole new set of muscles which has become apparent in my inner thigh?

The sense I get with this bowling approach and your advice to step up the speed as you approach the crease is - that is the logical next step. I'll try and build that in slowly, what I'm wondering is maybe with the speed increasing, might that then necessitate the need for some kind of bound? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose?

someblokecalleddave;408767 said:
Tony that's kind of what I was looking at working towards. At the minute with night drawing in a lot earlier, there's little opportunity to get out and have a bowl unless I start using floodlit netball courts and the like which I end up doing in the winter. I generally have a knock about with my kids outside the house, but the space there only allows for a few steps before a short delivery and we use windballs, so the transfer of anything learnt there to full size with a proper balls is limited, although not entirely useless. Tonight in that scenario I carried on with this new approach and as with yesterday it looks promising. What I have noticed though and this may end up being beneficial with regards my plantar fasciitis condition? Is that I'm using a whole new set of muscles which has become apparent in my inner thigh?

The sense I get with this bowling approach and your advice to step up the speed as you approach the crease is - that is the logical next step. I'll try and build that in slowly, what I'm wondering is maybe with the speed increasing, might that then necessitate the need for some kind of bound? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose?

Obviously this is more Liz's area but I would guess being more upright through your delivery action, as the videos seem to indicate, places less stress on your lower body but works other muscles. I wouldn't say speeding up necessitates a bound although if it comes naturally then go with it - thats why I initially said look to drive through the crease having placed your back foot (the 'standing start' point) - the bound may feel like it gives you more momentum but that will only really count if you can carry all that energy into your delivery action so I would work on the final couple of steps being as dynamic as possible for the time being

Sounds good to me, I'll let you know how I get on as I work on this over the next few weeks. I might have one final match on Sunday, but at the minute family commitments are conspiring against it and it's looking increasingly unlikely, but it would be useful to try this out in a game even though it's only developmental.

Generally you would look to get into a classical 'side on' position during the 'bound' stage of your delivery. So run in front on (as you would normally run) then jump off your non bowling foot and whilst in the air twist your body such that when your bowling foot lands it is something approaching parallel to the crease and your shoulders and hips should be 'side on' to the batsman ready to go through your delivery stride and bowl the ball. Obviously the greater the hang time of the bound the more time your body has to turn itself through 90 degrees and if you dont have much of a bound you will find it harder to twist mid run in. Really its horses for courses and so long as its a 'safe' action (check with a coach if you are unsure) I would suggest going with whatever feels most natural and comfortable for you

someblokecalleddave;408900 said:
Matt here's a fast bowler example, everyone slates this as an awful example, which it might be? But it's in slow motion and you can see what's happening and which feet the bloke is taking off from and lands on etc. The 'Bound' aspect starts at 10 seconds and finishes at 17 seconds. YouTube - Worst Bowling Action Ever!

The guy's overrotating horribly, falling away slightly and bowling past the vertical, but the bound is actually quite good!

Matt do the stand start drill, I take it you're right handed? Stand with your front foot (left) just behind the popping crease and your right foot sideways on the bowling crease. Push off with your back foot as you bowl and bring your right foot through and round into the follow through. Do that till it feels natural and you're getting the ball up the other end of the pitch.

Cricketpitchmswd.png

Nets start in a couple of weeks and I'm working towards the first session. I think this year though I'm not going to be focussing on my bowling in the nets at all because it just doesn't work for me - all that queueing and waiting to get a bowl, I never seem to get any rythym, so batting will be the main focus.

But in prep for the season I'm primarily focusing on my approach and action through the crease. Since changing my action from this to something more akin to this things have significantly changed for the better, but the newer version still needs some work. I've several issues and goals and I've been playing around with an idea I saw in a David Freeman vid which I can no longer locate, but in the video he advocated practicing the run up and bowling action without a ball along a line on a football/rugby pitch watching to see if you maintained the straight line as you went through your action. Anyone else do this or has any thoughts on its usefulness. What I'm hoping to be able to do is go straight into the season with a comfortable, automatic and consistent run up and explosion through the crease, as last year I was all over the place with this.

Back