S Africa boycott Champions Trophy

mas cambios

S Africa boycott Champions Trophy

South Africa will not take part in the ICC Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September because of security fears.

I guess that this is no surprise but it does leave you wondering if any other country will follow suit. I have a feeling that Australia and New Zealand and more than likely England will.

As for relocating the event, then I can see it going to India, not sure if there are any other viable options to be honest.

Re: S Africa boycott Champions Trophy

I think Australia has all but said they weren't going and New Zealand are highly unlikely. I heard that Sri Lanka was a possible relocation place, as well as South Africa. I think if the ICC do move the games, then there will be a large amount of compensation to pay to the TV rights. Apparently they have to give 6 months warning to any move. In the millions I think it was

Yeah, I know its pretty insignificant compared to players safety, but with so much money on stake, it may just sway the ICC's hand. However if too many teams do pull out there will be nothing to show so they may have no choice

Yeah, I think it will go ahead as planned. In the event that it gets cancelled or relocated, I guess ICC will ask the respective boards to pay for the compensation.

This is stupid. Our Pakistan is currently very safe and ready to host the Champions Trophy, all this is just to target pakistan somehow. I'm sure its an international strategy and the terrorists are involved in this. :mad:

The countries that are scared are just a bunch of sissies to be afraid. I'm sure Aus would follow suit, they are one of the most stupid cricket team ever.

Calm down mate, I'm dead certain that there isn't an international conspiracy headed by terrorists to keep people out of Pakistan. I don't think that you can call people who are afraid for their lives sissies. Pakistan can't be perfectly safe or people wouldn't have made such a big deal out of it.

I wouldn't call Pakistan very safe. The Asia Cup did go without any security problems but the concerns of South Africa and others are also very valid. Cricket is not more important than human life.

Afridi_fan;29278 said:
This is stupid. Our Pakistan is currently very safe and ready to host the Champions Trophy, all this is just to target pakistan somehow. I'm sure its an international strategy and the terrorists are involved in this. :mad:

The countries that are scared are just a bunch of sissies to be afraid. I'm sure Aus would follow suit, they are one of the most stupid cricket team ever.

I can understand where you're coming from but I think it's safe to say that there is an element of turmoil in Pakistan. Ok, I don't think that cricketers would be the no.1 target but you never know and lets not forget that even presidential style security has been breached in recent times.

Surely, it's better to take a softly softly approach, and then give Pakistan a tournament when things are more settled?

Back