Sack Bob Willis Campaign (sky Tv)

Sorry Dave I don't know what Bob Willis has said to upset you but I think the stick that has been dished out to the English spinners is to a certain extent probably justified - if your captain couldn't rely on you consistently bowling to your field you shouldn't be being picked to play international cricket. Phil Tuffnell was talking on TMS this morning and they said in his career he was bowling about 900 longer format overs a season, I think all of the English lads were around the 300 mark this year. He also made the point that being consistent in limited overs cricket means you get whacked, so there is a benefit in being inconsistent which I think you can see in Rashid and Patel who are far more useful in the shorter formats of the game.

Not sure this new coaching scheme will work, a similar scheme already exists and my guess is it will be many of the same faces doing the coaching. The problem comes in that most clubs favour short format success (bums on seats etc) so hence we have coaches who will naturally want to coach players to perform in that format, hence we have very few opening batters who want to bat 'time' nor spin bowlers to whom consistency is a virtue.

Sorry Dave I don't know what Bob Willis has said to upset you but I think the stick that has been dished out to the English spinners is to a certain extent probably justified - if your captain couldn't rely on you consistently bowling to your field you shouldn't be being picked to play international cricket. Phil Tuffnell was talking on TMS this morning and they said in his career he was bowling about 900 longer format overs a season, I think all of the English lads were around the 300 mark this year. He also made the point that being consistent in limited overs cricket means you get whacked, so there is a benefit in being inconsistent which I think you can see in Rashid and Patel who are far more useful in the shorter formats of the game.

Not sure this new coaching scheme will work, a similar scheme already exists and my guess is it will be many of the same faces doing the coaching. The problem comes in that most clubs favour short format success (bums on seats etc) so hence we have coaches who will naturally want to coach players to perform in that format, hence we have very few opening batters who want to bat 'time' nor spin bowlers to whom consistency is a virtue.

You're probably right. There was a good suggestion where they said that pitches might be prepared where the areas where seamers bowl you carry as they are, but at the batting end they rake/rough up or prepare it in some way that allows the spinners into the game. Sounded as though it had been discussed somewhere previously as an idea to implement at county level.

I have to confess I actually really like Bob, he's quite a character. I feel the same about Boycs, grumpy old men are just hilarious and I think a lot of Bobs comments are quite tongue in cheek but he's just so dry it's hard to tell when he's doing it. Anyone who used to sneak off at the end of a day's play to see Bob Dylan is alright by me!

I have to confess I actually really like Bob, he's quite a character. I feel the same about Boycs, grumpy old men are just hilarious and I think a lot of Bobs comments are quite tongue in cheek but he's just so dry it's hard to tell when he's doing it. Anyone who used to sneak off at the end of a day's play to see Bob Dylan is alright by me!
I don't mind boycott, he's more animated, Willis is just negative and dull. He just P****s me off every-time I watch SKY.

I've changed my mind a bit on Bob Woolmer as he advocated that wickets should be shaved bare at both ends and then roughly raked to give the spinners a chance on any green tops prepared for seam up/medium pacers.:D

I'm loving Jonathan Trott on SKY at the moment on the verdict panel with miserable Bob, Trott just laughs his head off at Willis at how much of a complete tosser the bloke is, he just sits there with an incredulous looks and smile on his face every time Willis opens his mouth, he just cannot believe how much tripe he talks - it's brilliant!

Back