Seca 2015/16

Who was the lout seeking his 5 seconds of fame by taunting Warnie about Liz Hurley and then sulking to the umps when it blew up in his face?

Who?
On an unrelated matter,Carpenter Steve Scott, 22, hit Shane Warne for 6: 'Threw it up there, so I thought ************ it!' 17th October 2015.
On the 25th anniversary of said match 17th October 2040, I suspect the story will have changed. The older I get the better I was. Good on the young fella.

Young Gebert hitting Warney for three boundaries was also an impressive effort. Getting stumped....not so impressive. Definite trivia questions in a few years.

I would like to congratulate the way Shane Warne conducted himself at the ESBC V ANA game on Saturday. He seemed extremely amicable to all who approached him including posing for many photos and signing many autographs for both children and adults. Although our players didn't perform as well as they and the club would have hoped, they were stoked to be given this once in a lifetime opportunity. Well done to President "Rossy" and his entire off field team on the way they conducted the day. Many hands make light work and they certainly had many volunteers helping out right across the day. A really enjoyable day (except for the current state of the game!).

I would like to congratulate the way Shane Warne conducted himself at the ESBC V ANA game on Saturday. He seemed extremely amicable to all who approached him including posing for many photos and signing many autographs for both children and adults. Although our players didn't perform as well as they and the club would have hoped, they were stoked to be given this once in a lifetime opportunity. Well done to President "Rossy" and his entire off field team on the way they conducted the day. Many hands make light work and they certainly had many volunteers helping out right across the day. A really enjoyable day (except for the current state of the game!).

Good work, Shabster. However, I suggest you have a chat to Jack Morrison about how he represents your club when a legend of the game gives back to community cricket. It would be a great shame if an opportunity like this was passed because of the deeds of one lout taking things too far. Furthermore, if he's going to gob off, he should expect a bit back. Particularly against a side like East Sandy.

Fair call Mick. I am unaware of the said incident as it must have happened on field late in the day whilst a bit of spectator "socializing" was happening. I am sure the issue will be addressed by the appropriate committee members, if it hasn't already. We all know things happen on the "spur of the moment" on the sporting field but I am certainly not condoning the incident in any way.

Good work, Shabster. However, I suggest you have a chat to Jack Morrison about how he represents your club when a legend of the game gives back to community cricket. It would be a great shame if an opportunity like this was passed because of the deeds of one lout taking things too far. Furthermore, if he's going to gob off, he should expect a bit back. Particularly against a side like East Sandy.

I wasn't there and don't know what was said but.... What could Jack Morrison possibly say to Shane Warne that he hasn't heard a million times before? Would have thought it would be water off a ducks back for Warne. And, wasn't he playing as a warm up for some US junket?

I wasn't there and don't know what was said but.... What could Jack Morrison possibly say to Shane Warne that he hasn't heard a million times before? Would have thought it would be water off a ducks back for Warne. And, wasn't he playing as a warm up for some US junket?

Each to their own, Rtg, but I would think if it was enough to incense Warne and his teammates then the lout probably needs to think about opening his gob. And if he's going to leave his crease then cry foul to the umps when confronted then perhaps he needs to think about his actions too.

Shabster, it's hardly something the committee need to involve themselves in if it was left out on the park. Might be worth an experienced head or two having a chat with him about pulling his head in.

Last edited:
Two rounds in and there's been some movement

ESBCC: $1.55
Mackie: $11.00
CHAG: $5.50
West Bentleigh: $13.00
Washington Park: $15.00
Bentleigh Uniting: $7.00
Carnegie South: $35.00
Elwood: $12.00
Kingston Heath: $51.00
Bentleigh ANA: $101.00
Brighton Union: $251
Omega: $300

Bentleigh Uniting-v-Chelsea Heights/AspGdn
Uniting managed to nearly blow what should have been a regulation win in the Grand Final Relay. The experience of Dolman
at the death turned the contest. Uniting have their first legitimate test this round against the Combine which managed to overcome
a poor Golfer outfit. Uniting had six batsmen who failed to make double figures against Mackie and their batting is looking a
touch brittle. The Combine seem to be back on track and I think they can defeat Uniting.
Brighton Union-v-Elwood
Despite losing to the Sharks, the Hoops actually fought back well to give the Sharks a fight. Losing Stojko, Plumridge and Gregory
for 0 and the score standing at 3/5 one would not have been surprised to see the Hoops capitulate for a meagre score. A few other teams would do well to take note. The Beach Boys on the other hand accounted for Omega down at the Beach and look to be travelling along nicely. These are the games that the Beach Boys must win and I expect them to continue their good form and defeat the Hoops in what will be a keen contest.
Bentleigh ANA-v-Carnegie South
Let's be fair to the Royals. it's not every week you come up against 'Warney' and the throng of media that follow him. The lads
were slightly overwhelmed, but it is one they can tell their kids about. The Royals come back to earth when they meet the spiritless
Spiders in what could end up being a relegation battle. Three Spider batsmen got to double figures, and if it were not for Dabra and his face saving 81 and the veteran 'Gags' Gallagher with his valuable 34, the Spiders could have struggled to reach triple figures. The Royals will bounce back and account for the relegation threatened Carnegie South.

Mackie-v-Kingston Heath
Not sure what they are doing down at the bowling club. Good to see the 'Iceman' back to his best form, but the rest of their batting
is abysmal. Thirteen batsmen failed to reach double figures in Round 1 & 2. They have three quality bats in their seconds that could
solve a lot of problems, but their brains trust continue to select players who are not up to it. The Golfers after disposing of the disappointing Spiders in Round 1, triple bogied against the Combine. To be dismissed for 65 is a very poor effort and they have to hit back hard to regain some 'face'. The Machine cannot afford another loss, but their batting is just not upto it. The Golfers to rebound and win a low scoring game.

Washington Park-v-Omega
The Sharks accounted for a gallant Hoops outfit to get their first win on the board for the season. The Sharks batting line up is starting to look formidable with some depth and will get better as the season progresses. The Ommies were better against the Beach Boys, but they are a significant way off the mark in being able to compete with most teams. The Sharks to win comfortably.
East Sandringham Boys Club-v-West Bentleigh
It will be a lot quieter down at Chisholm Reserve this week, but East Sandy fresh from an outright win against the Royals will be
keen to put the Cowboys to the sword. There is not much love lost between these two clubs. The Cowboys accounted for a poor
Carnegie South last game, but you just never know with the Cowboys as they are the perennial Jekyll & Hyde of the competition. ESBC to win in what surely be an interesting encounter.
Woolnough:
Hampton Central
Le Page
Harlequins
Combine
Wanderers
Wash Ups

I'm hearing that a club not used to losing requested SECA Exec review the match result of a recent T20 fixture. Trying to claim 10 runs for a slow over rate when they themselves may have bowled a slow over rate in the first innings contributing to the game finishing just after 8pm. Coincidentally, the 10 runs would've reversed the result.

I'm hearing that a club not used to losing requested SECA Exec review the match result of a recent T20 fixture. Trying to claim 10 runs for a slow over rate when they themselves may have bowled a slow over rate in the first innings contributing to the game finishing just after 8pm. Coincidentally, the 10 runs would've reversed the result.

I have been advised they had received punishment against them the previous season for the same reason.

Were seeking some consistency from the S.E.C.A.

What a match in Quiney. Urgent calls to KPMG or any auditor (except the one that did Slate & Gordon's books) to come in and forensically examine every dot, dash, cross, beer and sauce stain. I cannot remember a tie in a final for a long long time. Not surprising really as their last encounter in Round 10 went Mackie's way by three runs. It's going to be hard for Centrals to lift themselves, but they have a wealth of experience to overcome such a set back. The last time the Panthers and Hampton Central met was in Round 1 in a one day match, which will have little relevance. It should be a cracking match and I suspect Centrals will account for the Panthers, setting up a cracker of a Grand Final.

Then we have Longmuir and Woolnough. Congratulations to Washington Park. They have battled on for a number of seasons and finally they get to another Grand Final. I am not sure what goes through the heads of the Cowboys batsmen. Fidler scores 55 and the remaining batsmen can only contribute 29 between them of 147 deliveries? In fact the batsmen that failed to score managed to chew up 69 deliveries without contributing to the score board. The last time I played on Packer Reserve (back in the dark ages of Mats, two piece balls,no helmets, and a plethora of quicks who with serious personality issues) I seem to recall it was a big ground with a lot of gaps for singles and two's. It Looks like the Cowboys froze, but they have done this so many times over the past two years. Their bowlers did such a good job to restrict the Washups to 139, replicating their Round 6 encounter.

The last time the Cowboys played East Sandy was in a one day match and they routed East Sandy even with Hodge playing. Street needs to make a big score if they are to have any chance. He is averaging 14 and this is well below par for someone of his pedigree. Funnily enough he has made a couple of big scores in the 20/20. Perhaps it is time for Street and the Cowboys to take that mindset into the Preliminary Final.

In Woolnough the Westars were beaten in a day, and just adds to their litany of finals failures. It must have been a very sombre mood at Widdop Street on Saturday night. There is an old saying, better to die on your feet than on your knees. The Westars defeated Cluden quite comfortably the last time they met in Round 5 which must seem an eternity. Can they regroup and overcome Cluden? Are they mentally strong enough to put Saturday's performance behind them? History says no.

Long time no hear, Clock. A little birdie tells me Mackie may have been a tad lucky courtesy of a dishonest fieldsman and there being no boundary fence. But alas, the Two Blues get a shot at redemption this weekend.

Onto the big dances......
A few seasons ago the Wash Ups left a sour taste in the mouth when they had all 9 fieldsmen on the boundary for the last 5 overs defending 12 an over. When it's almost forgotten a stark reminder presents itself courtesy of their plight in the same grade where the karma train hit them hard in Rd.11 trying to defend a spot in the 4 instead of chasing a win. Some say the last ball of that match cost them March action.
Some great people down there and a seemingly well-run club, but anywhere that perpetuates a culture of defending in that manner doesn't deserve to be considered the competition's best. Coincidentally, with no reserve weekend there's talk they'll be doing rain dances all weekend.
That aside, someone poked the bear after Rd.11 and he has since peeled off a ton and 45. And so with Marto finding form, Crack being fairly consistent, Duesbury gaining confidence up top, Gibb & Duddy overdue, and of course a bloke named Hodge I think the ESBC batting will be too much for Cleary & co.
Btw - how the fark can a bloke take 39 wickets in 10 matches at <10 and not win player of the year, let alone finish top 3? #farcical

Woolnough Shield owes us a thriller. Both sides have respectively had comprehensive wins in their two outings this year, but hard to go past 2 weeks ago when the Westars folded with 15 overs left on day one. Perennial bridesmaids I can't see that changing, however they're a proud bunch as evidenced by last week's result. I'm expecting a much better performance from them this weekend, but Le Page to head back to Longmuir next season.

Quiney Shield is set to be a thriller. Their last 4 results have been two semi finals, a GF and Rd.9 playing for top spot. Two matches were 3 run victories split one each, another one Centrals won by 6 runs in the D Grade GF and a tied ball game happened a fortnight ago. The Two Blues will be very nervous if the game is tight and Burger is in, but I suspect it'll be 3rd time lucky for him if in the same position - he was the final wicket in the Rd.9 loss and the tied semi final which saw the higher ranked Mackie have last week off. Both sides have quality experience in their batting line ups and so I'm expecting an unusually high scoring GF. Picking the winner is like splitting hairs and so a literal toss of the coin tells me Mackie.

Good luck to all teams playing on the weekend. Let's hope the weather clears up and allows for two full days of play.

Any news on the recruiting front or is it too early? Carnegie South looking for a new coach. Does anyone know if Bruce is having a break or moving on?

Back