Seca - Sth East Ca 17/18

Could you imagine Packer Park, Duncan St, Hurlingham, Centenary, all being changed over to turf wickets. I'm sure CSB would be very excited about that prospect.
Why though – CSB’s charter is as manager of cricket in this region. Turf cricket, local women’s, indoor and probably girls next year. Hopefully synthetic and juniors not far away
Making those grounds turf would be great – if those clubs wanted to play on turf. Once again – do you think CSB want those grounds to become turf grounds, for the prime purpose of driving existing synthetic clubs to the wall??

Do you seriously think that the end game for the governing body for cricket in this state is to have fewer people playing cricket for fewer clubs? CV need synthetic grounds because that’s where the kids play – so why on earth would they force all these SECA clubs to become turf clubs

I know you probably won’t, but I urge you to actually read the documents with the reasoning behind what they are doing. The goal is to have one regional governing body running all cricket within a region – which makes perfect sense. In year 2 CSB started a women’s comp, this off season have an indoor team and will likely have girls comps under their banner next year. If their dastardly plan is to kill off synthetic clubs – then they are certainly going about it in a weird way

And as I’ve said before we currently get a full time administrator, with the further help of everybody at CV plus a board. SECA have a volunteer committee on a part-time basis, with (I believe) a secretary who is trying to organise a succession plan with limited luck. The service we get is amazing, and we get it with cheaper affiliation fees than we previously had.

I know you can’t be convinced otherwise so I don’t know why I’m wasting my time – hopefully others actually do their own research and make up their own mind

Stop it Rat, talking sense won't help. It's all Dan Andrews fault.

Do you seriously think that the end game for the governing body for cricket in this state is to have fewer people playing cricket for fewer clubs? CV need synthetic grounds because that’s where the kids play – so why on earth would they force all these SECA clubs to become turf clubs

I know you probably won’t, but I urge you to actually read the documents with the reasoning behind what they are doing. The goal is to have one regional governing body running all cricket within a region – which makes perfect sense. In year 2 CSB started a women’s comp, this off season have an indoor team and will likely have girls comps under their banner next year. If their dastardly plan is to kill off synthetic clubs – then they are certainly going about it in a weird way

And as I’ve said before we currently get a full time administrator, with the further help of everybody at CV plus a board. SECA have a volunteer committee on a part-time basis, with (I believe) a secretary who is trying to organise a succession plan with limited luck. The service we get is amazing, and we get it with cheaper affiliation fees than we previously had.

I know you can’t be convinced otherwise so I don’t know why I’m wasting my time – hopefully others actually do their own research and make up their own mind
Very well put Cocker is past his use by date. They will NOT be putting turf wickets on those grounds !

Yeah my apologies I missed the GF, had more important things to do. I mention Andrews because the way cricket is being managed and governed is corrupt, very similar to the way he has been running his Govt. Look at the recent media deal CA orchestrated with their deceit and lies.

So what you are saying is that after 40 years of abject failure by Southern Turf clubs to attract any interest or relevance in their meaningless competitions, it has been decreed that a combined Turf and Carpet comp would exist? Well it has existed for the past 40 years. What has not existed is all this interference from CV. At the end of the day it is clear to see what the ultimate plan. Get the larger CMCA clubs into the turf realm on their own or by merging existing poor performing turf clubs and leave what is left over in the CMCA to fend for themselves. Good luck with that plan, but ultimately local cricket will be the loser.
You must be beside yourself with the latest news.

Headline in Local paper - '' Three Comps to come under one Admin in Shake up of Sth East and Bayside Cricket ''. SECA been huffing and puffing for over a year saying that they will not be involved ? ISEC probably have no where to go other than joining as its very hard to run a stand alone junior comp. CSB will oversee the region, wow can't wait to see who gets elected for that committee and whether SECA and ISEC will have enough voice to be able to run their respective comps. Must admit though, I've been really impressed with the way CSB have gone in such a short time, far more pro-active and organised than SECA. I guess that happens when you have a new challenge, it will now be up to SECA Execs to perform at that level. One thing for certain is that SECA will fall into line with CSB and alter their structure to 8 teams in 2019 / 20 season. 7 one day games and 7 two day games seems to works, and if I was a betting man, id say the clubs will vote it in. I'd be against altering the finals format though as the current final 4 works and works well. Top 2 play, winner goes through to GF, loser plays the winner of 3 & 4 in a prelim final. Cant wait to hear the comments at this years AGM.

Will SECA be announcing uniting’s demotion to Wooly at the same AGM, or have they been saved the axe for another year?
Aside from union, another wooly club was rumored to be part of the Longmuir invite email.

Although the redbacks didn’t finish bottom, there was murmurings that they could go down after struggling in Longy and their twos being unable to field a team every week.
If the redbacks went down, the former billionaires may live to fight another day. It would be a big surprise if two Wooly clubs went up given recent precedent.

Elwood are rumoured to have signed Bunting for next season, which will help if true. Elwood finished second bottom but IMO have better depth than the redbacks.

Anyone got other player movement rumors or updates re a club that looked at changing to a turf wicket.

Will SECA be announcing uniting’s demotion to Wooly at the same AGM, or have they been saved the axe for another year?
Aside from union, another wooly club was rumored to be part of the Longmuir invite email.

Although the redbacks didn’t finish bottom, there was murmurings that they could go down after struggling in Longy and their twos being unable to field a team every week.
If the redbacks went down, the former billionaires may live to fight another day. It would be a big surprise if two Wooly clubs went up given recent precedent.

Elwood are rumoured to have signed Bunting for next season, which will help if true. Elwood finished second bottom but IMO have better depth than the redbacks.

Anyone got other player movement rumors or updates re a club that looked at changing to a turf wicket.
No one is changing to turf, end of conversation.

SECA were scheduled to announce a decision this week and not wait for the AGM. They are still procrastinating due to issues with 3 clubs in the gun to be considered to be relegated. Uniting, Elwood, Redbacks. Cluden have been invited to consider promotion to Longy if SECA decide they are a better option. Seriously, if Cluden come up its an absolute joke and reeks of inconsistency's in previous processes. How can you seriously promote a runners up team who were playing in their first finals series and about 12 - 15 years ? If SECA actually can follow their own criteria, then Uniting have to go down, they finished bottom so there should not be any arguments, as two seasons ago SECA applied that method to Union. Redbacks have been a reasonably consistent club and finished above Elwood but must be questioned on depth due to their seconds. The former billionaires are opening up the war chest again and have used that to try and strengthen their proposal to remain, however, when you look at their depth there isn't a lot as most of their teams finished in the lower levels of their respective grades. Further to that, there is sub district club near Nth Rd sniffing at 2 or 3 of their better juniors to try and convince them to play subbies. Elwood actually need more than Bunting to help them, but its a good start but again there is not much depth as their seconds should be relegated to Quiney or even D garde as they were exceptionally poor last season.

Ahh thanks turfie, I threw that bit of bait out there waiting for you to bite hard and you didn’t dissapoint.

WP although precedent says the billionaires should come down, precedent doesn’t always apply to SECA. I’m pretty sure omega went up after losing the grand final to the billionaires twos.
On the other hand Le Page were clearly the best side in recent memory to get dropped after having a horror year. I’d expect uniting to go down but stranger things have happened.
CS will have to turn things around quickly if they’re to remain competitive, you can’t compete if you struggle to fill two teams. If it was cluden that was invited, it would be out of left field if they went up, even though they’ve been one of the stronger sides in wooly for a while.

If uniting come down, that would likely mean at least two years out of the top grade for them as the comp will go to 8 teams in 19/20 and promotion is unlikely.

Any other news about recruits, east sandy will surely be after another bowler as Hilton didn’t work out and Gara has stayed at union. Union need a few more players to be competitive especially since a couple of their senior players are unlikely to play this year

Headline in Local paper - '' Three Comps to come under one Admin in Shake up of Sth East and Bayside Cricket ''. SECA been huffing and puffing for over a year saying that they will not be involved ? ISEC probably have no where to go other than joining as its very hard to run a stand alone junior comp. CSB will oversee the region, wow can't wait to see who gets elected for that committee and whether SECA and ISEC will have enough voice to be able to run their respective comps. Must admit though, I've been really impressed with the way CSB have gone in such a short time, far more pro-active and organised than SECA. I guess that happens when you have a new challenge, it will now be up to SECA Execs to perform at that level. One thing for certain is that SECA will fall into line with CSB and alter their structure to 8 teams in 2019 / 20 season. 7 one day games and 7 two day games seems to works, and if I was a betting man, id say the clubs will vote it in. I'd be against altering the finals format though as the current final 4 works and works well. Top 2 play, winner goes through to GF, loser plays the winner of 3 & 4 in a prelim final. Cant wait to hear the comments at this years AGM.

Not surprising and stage 1.

Stage 2 will involve spending the next year or so convincing the stronger clubs to join the Turf competition. There are a number of turf clubs that just make up the numbers.
Stage 3 will be to redirect all the shit clubs to the CMCA or convince them to merge, and there you go.

Prediction: Watch a number of CMCA clubs just fall away. I am sure that will excite all the Rohan O'Neill's of this world. The game is on the nose as it is.

I will no longer be following any local cricket. After 50 years of involvement in the game I will step aside. Cricket is broken from the top echelon of the game right down to Park Cricket. Good bye and good luck to you all.

Not surprising and stage 1.

Stage 2 will involve spending the next year or so convincing the stronger clubs to join the Turf competition. There are a number of turf clubs that just make up the numbers.
Stage 3 will be to redirect all the shit clubs to the CMCA or convince them to merge, and there you go.

Prediction: Watch a number of CMCA clubs just fall away. I am sure that will excite all the Rohan O'Neill's of this world. The game is on the nose as it is.

I will no longer be following any local cricket. After 50 years of involvement in the game I will step aside. Cricket is broken from the top echelon of the game right down to Park Cricket. Good bye and good luck to you all.

Sadly I pretty much agree with you. This is what happens when a comp loses it's identity. I think the CMCA missed a trick a few years back when the VTCA South clubs were about to split. CMCA should have copied the ECA model and united the comps under the one historically significant banner rather than what has eventuated. The loss of history and identity leads to a loss of grass roots clubs and supporters/volunteers, the collateral damage from CV's meddling and Subbies clubs should be watching this carnage with interest. And, before Turfie pipes up, you would have to be stupid if you didn't think that some CMCA clubs were not exploring the viability of moving to turf either in their own right or via a merger with a CSB club, certainly happened in the ECA. RIP Longy.

Sadly I pretty much agree with you. This is what happens when a comp loses it's identity. I think the CMCA missed a trick a few years back when the VTCA South clubs were about to split. CMCA should have copied the ECA model and united the comps under the one historically significant banner rather than what has eventuated. The loss of history and identity leads to a loss of grass roots clubs and supporters/volunteers, the collateral damage from CV's meddling and Subbies clubs should be watching this carnage with interest. And, before Turfie pipes up, you would have to be stupid if you didn't think that some CMCA clubs were not exploring the viability of moving to turf either in their own right or via a merger with a CSB club, certainly happened in the ECA. RIP Longy.

I'd hate to be the one offering a counter view to what seems a pretty sensitive development, however CV trying to convince SECA clubs to move to Turf is hardly likely. CV and CSB would need to convince LGA's of the benefits of that.
Having one sporting administration dealing with the various councils across the different formats is the key achievement.
History is not scrubbed or loss when change occurs.
You have referred to issues within the ECA in your closing statement but stated CMCA missed a trick in your second sentence.
RTG I think your issue is CV Administration and perceived threats to VSDCA as it stands now, not the benefits local clubs and cricketers stand to realise in having an effective administration backed by CV Resources.
I hope the majority of SECA clubs embrace the incoming changes and see the benefits as the plans are implemented.

I'd hate to be the one offering a counter view to what seems a pretty sensitive development, however CV trying to convince SECA clubs to move to Turf is hardly likely. CV and CSB would need to convince LGA's of the benefits of that.
Having one sporting administration dealing with the various councils across the different formats is the key achievement.
History is not scrubbed or loss when change occurs.
You have referred to issues within the ECA in your closing statement but stated CMCA missed a trick in your second sentence.
RTG I think your issue is CV Administration and perceived threats to VSDCA as it stands now, not the benefits local clubs and cricketers stand to realise in having an effective administration backed by CV Resources.
I hope the majority of SECA clubs embrace the incoming changes and see the benefits as the plans are implemented.

Dales you have misunderstood me on a couple of points...

I don't think CV are necessarily trying to convince clubs to move to turf, it's the clubs themselves that will be considering this. It did happen in the ECA, and no, I don't have a problem with it if that is how a club chooses to go. If it is done via merger, there were at least two in the ECA, then LGA's will have little to do with it. To try and convert a hard wicket to turf is a big ask but if all stakeholders are on board then it is not out of the question. At least one ECA club was able to transition to turf in a stand alone capacity so I say it again, some CMCA clubs will at a minimum be exploring the viability.

My primary point is once it all goes through, the identity is lost. It could have been kept, like it was in the ECA, and you wouldn't have people like Clocker walking away after 50 years service. No one from CV probably cares but I can hear the warning bells in what he said and you can multiply that out over the entire comp. This element of history and contentedness is something the roaming VTCA South/DDCA clubs fail to grasp because they never had it. Same for a good admin, the bar was pretty low in the VTCA so any alternative looks appealing. For the CMCA, It's irreversible now, too late for alternatives, it will be what it will be.

As for Subbies, there will be nothing left if they choose to participate in the restructure. Clubs will be sent off to their zones, never to play against 75% of each other again, and the history will go into a skip.

I don't think CV are necessarily trying to convince clubs to move to turf, it's the clubs themselves that will be considering this. It did happen in the ECA, and no, I don't have a problem with it if that is how a club chooses to go. If it is done via merger, there were at least two in the ECA, then LGA's will have little to do with it. To try and convert a hard wicket to turf is a big ask but if all stakeholders are on board then it is not out of the question. At least one ECA club was able to transition to turf in a stand alone capacity so I say it again, some CMCA clubs will at a minimum be exploring the viability.

My primary point is once it all goes through, the identity is lost. It could have been kept, like it was in the ECA, and you wouldn't have people like Clocker walking away after 50 years service. No one from CV probably cares but I can hear the warning bells in what he said and you can multiply that out over the entire comp. This element of history and contentedness is something the roaming VTCA South/DDCA clubs fail to grasp because they never had it. Same for a good admin, the bar was pretty low in the VTCA so any alternative looks appealing. For the CMCA, It's irreversible now, too late for alternatives, it will be what it will be.

As for Subbies, there will be nothing left if they choose to participate in the restructure. Clubs will be sent off to their zones, never to play against 75% of each other again, and the history will go into a skip.
The VTCA Admin problems was only in the last 4 years before the split. Also sad to see someone leave a game they love after 50 years , hope he reconsiders.

As previously mentioned and i'll mention it again.

winki pop said:
Could you imagine Packer Park, Duncan St, Hurlingham, Centenary, all being changed over to turf wickets. I'm sure CSB would be very excited about that prospect.

Thanks for the response RTG, and I understand the unease that people have with the concept. I guess VSDCA is unique in suburban cricket with it's geographical spread, now that the VTCA has contracted.
I think you should acknowledge the VTCA was developed with the VTCA South clubs at the forefront. So those clubs had a tremendous stake in the competition, however it failed to meet those clubs requirements.
The DDCA clubs have great rivalries and history and there again you short change a competition.
As for the VSDCA - there have been numerous ins and outs from that competition over it's time, but that's entirely normal and expected as clubs change and different models are adapted. It certainly hasn't removed their history of competition.
As a player I'm more than satisfied with CSB and CV as administrators. The local clubs appoint the board of directors and vote at the AGM just the same as any other association, but the distinction is the resources and stronger voice when dealing with LGA's being delivered.
Once you take the field as a player it's all academic anyway and the beer still tastes good after a days play...

Ahh thanks turfie, I threw that bit of bait out there waiting for you to bite hard and you didn’t dissapoint.

WP although precedent says the billionaires should come down, precedent doesn’t always apply to SECA. I’m pretty sure omega went up after losing the grand final to the billionaires twos.
On the other hand Le Page were clearly the best side in recent memory to get dropped after having a horror year. I’d expect uniting to go down but stranger things have happened.
CS will have to turn things around quickly if they’re to remain competitive, you can’t compete if you struggle to fill two teams. If it was cluden that was invited, it would be out of left field if they went up, even though they’ve been one of the stronger sides in wooly for a while.

If uniting come down, that would likely mean at least two years out of the top grade for them as the comp will go to 8 teams in 19/20 and promotion is unlikely.

Any other news about recruits, east sandy will surely be after another bowler as Hilton didn’t work out and Gara has stayed at union. Union need a few more players to be competitive especially since a couple of their senior players are unlikely to play this year

Pretty much summed the situation up as its now confirmed that Uniting are down. Redbacks have been advised that they need to produce what they have submitted in their proposal, '' must have been a good proposal ''. I believe that in the vote by the exec that 2 prominent people were left out or advised not to vote as they perhaps didn't want the same outcome from the previous season's vote whereby it was a split decision and then left up to ? to cast the final vote. All things considered, the right outcome has been achieved. Interesting comments about recruits, and who are Union supposed to be losing ? Rumour also is ANA are interested in Dolman to perhaps return to where it started. East Sandy are after another bat plus an opening bower and have pursued Gara vigerously $$$$$. They also have a healthy bank balance. With regards to structure, the clubs would certainly have to vote for the 8 team change, I couldn't see it being implemented if this was not the case.

Back