Seca - Sth East Ca 17/18

Not surprising and stage 1.

Stage 2 will involve spending the next year or so convincing the stronger clubs to join the Turf competition. There are a number of turf clubs that just make up the numbers.
Stage 3 will be to redirect all the shit clubs to the CMCA or convince them to merge, and there you go.

Prediction: Watch a number of CMCA clubs just fall away. I am sure that will excite all the Rohan O'Neill's of this world. The game is on the nose as it is.

I will no longer be following any local cricket. After 50 years of involvement in the game I will step aside. Cricket is broken from the top echelon of the game right down to Park Cricket. Good bye and good luck to you all.
Extremely disappointed that you feel this way Clocker, however, I would think that there may be a few more that might follow you into the retirement bliss. The SECA have allot to be accountable for, they have been a tired bunch for a while now without too much forward thinking about their own comp. Its a 50/50 at the moment with all this structural change, but I'm hopeful that it will be for the better and more importantly, better for the clubs in general.

Thanks for the response RTG, and I understand the unease that people have with the concept. I guess VSDCA is unique in suburban cricket with it's geographical spread, now that the VTCA has contracted.
I think you should acknowledge the VTCA was developed with the VTCA South clubs at the forefront. So those clubs had a tremendous stake in the competition, however it failed to meet those clubs requirements.
The DDCA clubs have great rivalries and history and there again you short change a competition.
As for the VSDCA - there have been numerous ins and outs from that competition over it's time, but that's entirely normal and expected as clubs change and different models are adapted. It certainly hasn't removed their history of competition.
As a player I'm more than satisfied with CSB and CV as administrators. The local clubs appoint the board of directors and vote at the AGM just the same as any other association, but the distinction is the resources and stronger voice when dealing with LGA's being delivered.
Once you take the field as a player it's all academic anyway and the beer still tastes good after a days play...

Again Dales, you seem to have misunderstood me. When I was referring to roaming VTCA South/DDCA clubs, I wasn't referring to Buckley Ridges etc, I was referring to this (not my list, extracted from another post on the VTCA forum):-

1.South Yarra
2.Maccabi Ajax
3.St.Bedes/St.Johns
4.North Caulfield
5.Mordialloc
6.East Malvern
7.Old Brighton
8.Springvale
9.Parkdale
10.Old Mentone
11.Dingley
12.Aspendale
13.Chelsea?
14.Highett?
15.Moorabbin Park?
16.RMIT went North
17.MHSOB
18.Brighton East

Again Dales, you seem to have misunderstood me. When I was referring to roaming VTCA South/DDCA clubs, I wasn't referring to Buckley Ridges etc, I was referring to this (not my list, extracted from another post on the VTCA forum):-

1.South Yarra - Mercantile CA
2.Maccabi Ajax - Mercantile CA
3.St.Bedes/St.Johns - VSDCA in - VSDCA out (Kingston Saints)
4.North Caulfield - Merged with Caulfield Old Grammarians (CSB)
5.Mordialloc - DDCA Reigning Turf 1 Premiers Back to Back left VTCA 2004
6.East Malvern - Eastern?
7.Old Brighton - ?
8.Springvale - DDCA
9.Parkdale - VTCA - DDCA - CSB
10.Old Mentone - VTCA - MCC Club XI - CSB
11.Dingley - VTCA - DDCA Turf 1
12.Aspendale - VTCA - DDCA - CSB
13.Chelsea - VTCA - CSB
14.Highett
15.Moorabbin Park - Bayside CC (MPCC & Highett merger - VTCA - CSB
16.RMIT went North
17.MHSOB ?
18.Brighton East - VTCA - CSB

That list is probably reflective of the crossover of all the available suburban comps, club requirements and the lack of administrative & competition support from the VTCA I reckon RTG.
I'd hardly think all is lost with a change of competition or structure though. Young blokes playing today and in seasons to come won't know any difference, the blokes who have played in the past VTCA South haven't lost anything - just gained more resources from the state body at a local level.

I know we'll disagree on this and many will have different views on it.

Anyone got other player movement rumors or updates re a club that looked at changing to a turf wicket.
Big moves at CHAGS with long time player and club legend Brad Lockard moving to Carrum Downs, also Dale Tormey supposedly to Packenham. Two big outs and rumours circulating that another top liner wanting out.

Pretty much summed the situation up as its now confirmed that Uniting are down. Redbacks have been advised that they need to produce what they have submitted in their proposal, '' must have been a good proposal ''. I believe that in the vote by the exec that 2 prominent people were left out or advised not to vote as they perhaps didn't want the same outcome from the previous season's vote whereby it was a split decision and then left up to ? to cast the final vote. All things considered, the right outcome has been achieved. Interesting comments about recruits, and who are Union supposed to be losing ? Rumour also is ANA are interested in Dolman to perhaps return to where it started. East Sandy are after another bat plus an opening bower and have pursued Gara vigerously $$$$$. They also have a healthy bank balance. With regards to structure, the clubs would certainly have to vote for the 8 team change, I couldn't see it being implemented if this was not the case.

Part of me is still surprised that the love child was demoted but sense prevailed. The redbacks must be good salesman, they have a tough task in front of them, goodluck to them though. After reading a few bits on the subbies thread and the local rag, the subbies equivalent of the redbacks is moorabbin who also have made some promises and have to deliver this season.

That's big news out of CHAGG, if you take two of the best players out of any side they'll struggle. Their twos are in wooly and their 2s performances naturally swing based on their 1s having everyone available. I don't think any club would have the depth to cover that sort of loss without a recruit or two. My info for the hoops was second hand a few months ago but originated from someone senior at the club who mentioned that the coach had a new family commitment arriving around the start of cricket season which might keep him occupied, a spinner (don't know the name) had work commitments and nobody was sure if the captain would play this season.
I couldn't resist and went looking for East Sandys bank balance. It is eye watering, surely a big recruit or two will come in.

I believe an 8 team comp is fait accompli, SECA want it to happen asap, as do CV. The current fixture doesn't allow for enough cricket, but playing every team twice in an 8 team comp thru a 1 dayer and a 2 dayer will make for a heavy schedule. Can anyone offer up a better fixture or structure. I also vote no to T20s being included in the H&A fixture.

Some very interesting developments being talked about around the traps at the moment, local footy goss is where its at.
Mark Bell to coach CHAG.
Jansz and Cathcart to West B.
Dolman may not be at the Units.
Afridi not returning to the Machine.
Hussain coach of the Machine, but doesn't arrive until after season starts, [ not sure how that works ] ?
Sandy throwing out heaps for a strike bowler, plus one other.
Sharks throwing $$$$$ at a bowler from down the highway.
Dawkins from the westers is going to Omega, Omega are already spruiking premierships.
Interestingly, a ex SECA umpire who moonlights as a coach has been contacting some young talented players who he has seen in SECA to try and convince them to play at Moorleigh Reserve.
The new bosses of SECA have directed the way forward under the new CV model, some classic changes ahead and will be interesting how the clubs respond, but hey, anything's better than only having 3 games after xmas which made the SECA a laughing stock.

Interesting night at the SECA / CSB AGM this week. Confirmed that Longmuir will become an 8 team comp at the start of the 19/20 season. What wasn't confirmed is how they are going to implement the structure. Are we to presume that there will be 2 relegated and no promotion from Wooly ? Are we to presume that 3 will go from Longmuir and 1 promoted from Wooly ? As there were no questions from the floor allowed we have to wait until September. Lets hope common sense prevails and only 2 get demoted with no promotion from Wooly, then play the season with demotion and promotion starting in the 20/21 season. Looks like the umpires are gaining some numbers with 2 umpires provided in the top 3 grades being mooted with at least 6 new umpires already confirmed.

I’m looking forward to finding out the competition structure, my preference is for a white ball one day comp and a separate red ball two day comp which some other competitions run in a slightly different format. Agreed with your sentiments WP that three games after Christmas is a joke. But finishing on the long weekend is ideal for premiership teams and a mad Monday. For me 7 one dayers and 7 two dayers is a touch too much cricket.

What’s happened over at CHAG to trigger such an exodus, have they replaced anyone. My early tip for the longy flag is west bentleigh, the fresh rumour is they have signed one of the redbacks main men who was picked in the SECA team of the year. I’m sure that wasn’t included in their proposal to SECA to remain in the top grade.
Uniting have picked up two Englishmen to try and cover their losses, no news on Dolman yet. Elwood need a few top up players so they can try and avoid the drop this year. Surely a wooly side can’t get promoted at the end of this season when we go to 8 teams.
Now that the westars aren’t paying Dawkins they’ve brought in a UK keeper batsmen. An interesting move from Dawkins to switch to another wooly club, only for a bit of extra cash. Not sure that it makes omega flag favourites, but it wouldn’t be uncommon for a few of them to get ahead of themselves. KH got ahead of themselves 12 months ago and were talking premierships before winter had passed, yet they missed finals. But they will be a threat if they can keep Cefala who was eyeing off district cricket.
Wpops news about umpire who moonlighted as a coach has got around he traps, he was keen on cefala and a few other young players, I believe that even players from clubs who used his coaching services weren’t immune to his advances, I’m sure that didn’t go down well. As far as I’ve heard, he didn’t have much success with his SECA recruitment drive.
Hellenic will no doubt have splashed some cash to retain their existing crop of players but may have topped up. Hopefully their behaviour improves, IMO they’re lucky to still be in the competition after the way they behaved in the Quiney grand final 18 months ago. Emerald Hill won’t be looking forward to seeing Hellenic again, there’s no lost love between those two.

I’m looking forward to finding out the competition structure, my preference is for a white ball one day comp and a separate red ball two day comp which some other competitions run in a slightly different format. Agreed with your sentiments WP that three games after Christmas is a joke. But finishing on the long weekend is ideal for premiership teams and a mad Monday. For me 7 one dayers and 7 two dayers is a touch too much cricket.

What’s happened over at CHAG to trigger such an exodus, have they replaced anyone. My early tip for the longy flag is west bentleigh, the fresh rumour is they have signed one of the redbacks main men who was picked in the SECA team of the year. I’m sure that wasn’t included in their proposal to SECA to remain in the top grade.
Uniting have picked up two Englishmen to try and cover their losses, no news on Dolman yet. Elwood need a few top up players so they can try and avoid the drop this year. Surely a wooly side can’t get promoted at the end of this season when we go to 8 teams.
Now that the westars aren’t paying Dawkins they’ve brought in a UK keeper batsmen. An interesting move from Dawkins to switch to another wooly club, only for a bit of extra cash. Not sure that it makes omega flag favourites, but it wouldn’t be uncommon for a few of them to get ahead of themselves. KH got ahead of themselves 12 months ago and were talking premierships before winter had passed, yet they missed finals. But they will be a threat if they can keep Cefala who was eyeing off district cricket.
Wpops news about umpire who moonlighted as a coach has got around he traps, he was keen on cefala and a few other young players, I believe that even players from clubs who used his coaching services weren’t immune to his advances, I’m sure that didn’t go down well. As far as I’ve heard, he didn’t have much success with his SECA recruitment drive.
Hellenic will no doubt have splashed some cash to retain their existing crop of players but may have topped up. Hopefully their behaviour improves, IMO they’re lucky to still be in the competition after the way they behaved in the Quiney grand final 18 months ago. Emerald Hill won’t be looking forward to seeing Hellenic again, there’s no lost love between those two.

Transparency is not one of SECA's strong points and you would think the powers to be would have the promotion and relegation process sorted out by now, especially after advising clubs of the 8 team comp. How far does the 8 team comp go down to ? I would think to about F grade and then maybe a couple of more grades could be formed down the line. The chairman down at CHAGS who also moonlights as a media personality is tight lipped as you would expect, but there is a distinct smell of unrest emulating from Thames Parade. Omega have traditionally been frugal with their $$$$$$$ but now need to open up the war chest otherwise their stay in Wooly will be profound, not sure that Dawkins can lead them to the glory they aspire to ? Interestingly as well was the rumour that the big M was in discussions with his mate from down the highway to the possibility of returning for his second stint now that his mate has become captain. Doubt very much whether or not there's a position in their firsts for him and his ego. The Redbacks have lost Pereira to Ormond on some fair $$$$$$, at least Ormond are recruiting a senior player in this instance rather than their normal efforts in trying to pillage young kids from neighbouring clubs with outrageous offers. Rumour is a bloke called Chris Milne has been appointed playing coach at the Redbacks, played down the peninsular and has been around supposedly. Don't be surprised if the young bloke from KH ends up at a Longy club Nth of South Rd and West of the Highway, if not, he's off to premier. The moonlighting umpire actually approached 3 young players and an existing AC at clubs who were participating in last season finals, with the AC telling him in no uncertain terms that there's a time and place for everything and finals is not one of them. Presuming, he got the message. The Souvlaki kings are very lucky to be even considered for promotion, but lack of a strong verdict from SECA have allowed them to, how may fines can a club get, how many chances do the umpires give them. The umpires whinge and complain but are never backed up at the tribunal.

News

IMPORTANT LONGMUIR SHIELD CHANGE
Date of Event : Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:22PM

Dear Members,

As per By-Law 2.9 (Longmuir Shield admission requirements) Clubs are required to lodge an expression of interest to participate in our Premier grade by April 30th.

Chelsea Heights Aspendale Gardens Cricket Club (CHAG) duly nominated for Longmuir Shield admission as per the By-Law.

On August 2nd The SECA Executive was formally requested by CHAG to withdraw their nomination from Longmuir Shield for the upcoming 2018/2019 season, due to a major restructure in their playing personnel.

The SECA Executive have deliberated over this issue and under the circumstances, believe it is in the best interest for both CHAG, and the competitiveness of our Longmuir Shield competition to grant this request.

This obviously means changes to the previously published Longmuir and Woolnough Shield Draws, hence their removal off the website yesterday.

We will endeavour to get the draw back up as soon as possible, but at this stage it will not be until after we have received ALL Clubs Affiliation Forms. These forms are due to be lodged by Thursday August 9th

Regards

Chairman SECA Fixturing Subcommittee.

9 games in a season? 9?

6 days of cricket after Christmas?

The committee should stand down immediately and the transition to CSB should begin from now.

Bottom line is this. The competition should always be about its players. It is there to support young men develop their cricketing skills but more importantly, to develop lifelong friendships and add meaning and purpose to the lives of its players and its families. Brendon Gale the CEO of the Richmond Football Club tweeted this on the weekend and its message for me, resonates with all sporting competitions and clubs in the country.

"In an increasingly fragmented world, it (AFL) highlights the power of sport as a social & cultural institution, and its ability to cultivate connection & community. An extremely valuable social good!"

Shame on the SECA committee for depriving young men in the South East suburbs of Melbourne the opportunity to play the game that they love.

Your time is well and truly up.

Anyone else think that the reason that they are sticking with the 6 days of cricket after Christmas is so when it changes to 7 two dayers and 7 one dayers. there will be next to no opposition because everyone will want the extra 3 days of cricket in the year?

Anyone else think that the reason that they are sticking with the 6 days of cricket after Christmas is so when it changes to 7 two dayers and 7 one dayers. there will be next to no opposition because everyone will want the extra 3 days of cricket in the year?
Interesting thoughts there CBB, but the change of format has been coming for about 3 seasons in rumour and now in fact. Id suggest that the SECA didn't want to make too many changes before next season after already changing to 10 teams. What doesn't change is that SECA is a laughing stock amongst other comps for this scheduling.

Interesting thoughts there CBB, but the change of format has been coming for about 3 seasons in rumour and now in fact. Id suggest that the SECA didn't want to make too many changes before next season after already changing to 10 teams. What doesn't change is that SECA is a laughing stock amongst other comps for this scheduling.

The series of events that have taken place in the last month have further highlighted this administration's incompetence and failure to its key stakeholders; it's clubs and players.

The events at Chelsea Heights is a dire one at that. Players exiting their door at the dawn of a new season is indeed a sad sight. However reinstating undermanned and underperforming teams back into the top two divisions to cover CHAG's downfall is indeed a baffling one at that.

Before a ball has been bowled, this season is proving out to be an unmitigated disaster for the SECA board. From low numbers, to questionable fixturing and what can only be described as fixed bidding for the rights to host Grand Finals; the end can not come quick enough for this group of poorly performed administrators.

Most players knew of the majority of chags 1s leaving months ago. Hardly the dawn of the season. Buckwheat was the last one to be known about but problems with alledged favouritism in finals selection from selectors and captains who were loyal to chelsea heights or gardens players is what caused the divide. Word was it brad left once he realised what a shitfight it was going to be. Surely noone wants to play with flahive unless l theres some underlying issues at stake at club or mental level

Most players knew of the majority of chags 1s leaving months ago. Hardly the dawn of the season. Buckwheat was the last one to be known about but problems with alledged favouritism in finals selection from selectors and captains who were loyal to chelsea heights or gardens players is what caused the divide. Word was it brad left once he realised what a shitfight it was going to be. Surely noone wants to play with flahive unless l theres some underlying issues at stake at club or mental level
CBC, pretty much summed it up, but with Tormey, and Locky who were both senior selectors they would be more involved in the 1's rather then down the grades. Maybe time for their much travelled COC to be questioned as I believe that he did not see this coming but may have been heavily involved in back door movements.

I have no issue with the politics surrounding the mass exodus at Chelsea Heights. For the record, I have greatly admired the way that they have played their cricket and their rise from SECA wilderness to A grade contenders was truly remarkable. However, how a board can reinstate a team that was previously relegated from A grade is just a little bit beyond me at this stage. Bentleigh Uniting had their opportunity to perform and they failed to take it. On performance alone, they simply do not deserve to play in the leagues premier competiton this year. The decision to reinstate them is hypocrisy at its best and further emphasises my view that the SECA executive have failed the competition once again.

Back