Seca - Sth East Ca 17/18

Looks like SECA can take away their percentage. But it’s up to their discretion.

The word on the grapevine is that $$& was owed to the former club, so a clearance was never approved.

That would suggest the culprits to be BUCC as I would suspect that Dawkins wouldn't owe any money to MWCC. You would have thought that Omega would have followed up on My Cricket a bit earlier to avoid the attempt by Uniting to seek retribution. The woolly ladder now has 3 teams 2 games clear of 4th spot, it certainly opens up for other teams to have a crack at 4th.

Once branded the "leicester city" of the SECA, the sharks season is in utter disarray. Bowled out yet again for a score under 200, they are in freefall and find themselves in dangerous territory, firmly and quite rightfully entrenched in the relegation zone. At 1 and 3, they come up against the incumbent premiers this weekend. A loss and their finals aspirations are all but over and a season of promise turns into one of survival.

Bumble, you may be on the money with the sharks as they are in deep doo doo and need to take a scalp in rnd-6 against the big surprises so far in the Hoops. You can forget the redbacks as they are in disarray and will be gone at the end of the season. How important is this round for the run home after xmas with all games extremely interesting. Tips as follows - The Natives to have a win against East Sandy, Panthers to throw sand at the Beach Boys, The Machine could not drop this against the redbacks, Hoops to end the Sharks season but this will be a close game, and the Units to have a win against WB. If the results go as tipped there will be 5 teams two games clear with 3 to go after the break with only 6 points separating 1st to 5th and the others fighting for 1 relegation spot. Wooly report to come.

As it stands right now, I'm happy to put a line through the Sharks. 33 points was the mark required last season to qualify for the top 4 and that feels about right this year. Even if they win this weekend, they'll need everyting to go right and win every game post Christmas and after watching them last weekend; they just don't even look like it. Changes to their team a must. Brighton Union are the feel good story of the competition. Relegated and winning back to back Woolnough titles, they richly deserved their opportunity this season and have put themselves firmly in the conversation for the premiership. Individually, Clint Tomlinson from ANA is having the most impressive of all seasons; single handedly lifting ANA from the depths of the ladder to finals contention. A gripping final round of the calendar year awaits.

Bumble, you may be on the money with the sharks as they are in deep doo doo and need to take a scalp in rnd-6 against the big surprises so far in the Hoops. You can forget the redbacks as they are in disarray and will be gone at the end of the season. How important is this round for the run home after xmas with all games extremely interesting. Tips as follows - The Natives to have a win against East Sandy, Panthers to throw sand at the Beach Boys, The Machine could not drop this against the redbacks, Hoops to end the Sharks season but this will be a close game, and the Units to have a win against WB. If the results go as tipped there will be 5 teams two games clear with 3 to go after the break with only 6 points separating 1st to 5th and the others fighting for 1 relegation spot. Wooly report to come.

What’s going on with the red backs?

The short answer is, 'not a lot'. The longer one is far more complicated and strikes at the club's inherent cultural problems. This season was always going to be one that challenged the playing group and has revelaed some very real and very deep problems. I don't expect them to win a game this season and I actually hold very grave concerns for them. Woolnough Shield has quite rightfully turned into a Longmuir Shield feeder competition and the success that the clubs re-entering Longy have had is testement to that. In a revamped 8 team competition I can see them sliding down the grades and not compete in A grade cricket for a number of years. In essence, they could disappear into the abyss just the same as Oakleigh District and Highett West. A really sad story given the success that they have had in Longy during the last five years.

The short answer is, 'not a lot'. The longer one is far more complicated and strikes at the club's inherent cultural problems. This season was always going to be one that challenged the playing group and has revelaed some very real and very deep problems. I don't expect them to win a game this season and I actually hold very grave concerns for them. Woolnough Shield has quite rightfully turned into a Longmuir Shield feeder competition and the success that the clubs re-entering Longy have had is testement to that. In a revamped 8 team competition I can see them sliding down the grades and not compete in A grade cricket for a number of years. In essence, they could disappear into the abyss just the same as Oakleigh District and Highett West. A really sad story given the success that they have had in Longy during the last five years.

Thanks bumble. New coach seems pretty keen on batting himself low and collecting red ink!

It was alluded above it was Dawkins? When do they publish on the website, any chance of some transparency?
Bumble, not sure about your thoughts on quote '' A really sad story given the success that they have had in Longy during the last five years.[/QUOTE], I wouldn't actually say they had success, made 1 GF and got absolutely pantsed. Made another semi I think but generally have been middle to lower end of the scale. Woolnough a feeder comp is also a bit overatted as there would be no improvement to Longy with any of the top wooly teams at the moment. With the 8 teams from next year, I'd suggest that there will not be any promotion so a club will have to either win it twice such as the hoops, or win it in two seasons then promotion will start again.

Bumble, not sure about your thoughts on quote '' A really sad story given the success that they have had in Longy during the last five years.
, I wouldn't actually say they had success, made 1 GF and got absolutely pantsed. Made another semi I think but generally have been middle to lower end of the scale. Woolnough a feeder comp is also a bit overatted as there would be no improvement to Longy with any of the top wooly teams at the moment. With the 8 teams from next year, I'd suggest that there will not be any promotion so a club will have to either win it twice such as the hoops, or win it in two seasons then promotion will start again.[/QUOTE]

So, this is a clear division of opinions and one that I welcome and am happy to debate. Over a 4 year period between 2011 and 2015, the Redbacks finished 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 4th. They just so happened to come up against one of, if not the strongest teams of all time to play in the SECA. They were never able to rely upon a big name player like a Martyn, Heywood or Lalor to bolster their premiership chances. Given their playing group and the consistency with which they challenged the premiership, their time in Longmuir in my opinion, was absolutely a success.

The Woolnough shield debate is again an interesting one. I would argue that the strength of that competition has definitely improved the standard of the top grade. Take last season for example, all four finalists were Woolnough Shield premiers. Ultimately, the grand final was contested between Le Page and West Bentleigh, with Le Page taking the honours just two years out of Woolnough. This season, three of the top 4 teams are Woolnough Shield Premiers with Brighton Union making an immediate impact on the competition. So is Woolnough Shield a feeder competition for the top grade? I'd argue that it most definitely is. It is fundamentally serving its purpose. It allows teams to go regenerate and re-enter Longmuir as a competitive cricket club.

Last edited:
The Woolnough shield debate is again an interesting one. I would argue that the strength of that competition has definitely improved the standard of the top grade. Take last season for example, all four finalists were Woolnough Shield premiers. Ultimately, the grand final was contested between Le Page and West Bentleigh, with Le Page taking the honours just two years out of Woolnough. This season, three of the top 4 teams are Woolnough Shield Premiers with Brighton Union making an immediate impact on the competition. So is Woolnough Shield a feeder competition for the top grade? I'd argue that it most definitely is. It is fundamentally serving its purpose. It allows teams to go regenerate and re-enter Longmuir as a competitive cricket club.

You make some relevant points Bumble but I beg to disagree on a couple of things. 1 . To be competitive in Longmuir most of the clubs are paying $$$$ for coaches '' lets call them coaches for arguments sake '' and i'd suggest that the top clubs would have at least 3 to 4 coaches. The current Wooly clubs would be allot less with perhaps one to three clubs spending $$$ on maybe 1 to 2 coaches. So in order to win the wooly flag and then be competitive in the top grade they will need to start or otherwise they'll be a yoyo. With the new structure and 8 teams it may help to even out somewhat, but $$$$$ will still be spent to achieve the ultimate prize.

So after a three week hiatus, the SECA competition resumes on Saturday and it brings with it some tantalizing matches that will shape the final four and indeed, the 2019/20 season.

East Sandringham and Le Page go head to head this weekend in what I believe will be a closely fought contest. Barring any unforeseen events, both teams should have a major role to play in this year's finals competition. East Sandringham have ramped up their preparations in a quest for another flag, whilst Le Page have quietly gone about their business this year. This really is anyone's game and I can't wait to head down to Chisholm to see the action this Saturday.

How big is the game at Packer going to be? The Sharks just have to win. Anything less and it's probably season over and a relegation to Woolnough awaits. With games against East Sandringham and Mackie to follow, they have to win at least two to really give themselves an opportunity at staying the top grade. Compelling viewing.

Elwood have to win one more game to sure up their season and ensure their entry into next year's competition. I think they're a big chance this week against an enigmatic West Bentleigh side who have lacked consistency this season.

There will be so many stories to come out of this round's events. It really is shaping as a great season. My tips in bold.

East Sandringham vs Le Page
Washington Park
vs Bentleigh Uniting
Elwood vs West Bentleigh
Brighton Union vs Mackie
Bentleigh ANA vs Carnegie South

Keep bumping into a lot of former CMCA cricketers down at the retirement village and around the bowling rinks. All have expressed nothing but disdain for the current set up.

Keep hearing rumors that there is one or perhaps 2 CMCA clubs looking to leave the current mickey mouse competition. There is 1 other high profile club deciding whether they want to compete in the $$ game that will eventually occur when there are only 8 teams in Longmuir. They may actually make a shock announcement at year end. So it may be a case of 2/3 up and 2/3 down. Everyone wants to play in the top league, but you may find that after 1 or 2 years they decide to go back to Woolnough, because they cannot afford it. With such a shortened season it makes it harder for clubs to organize their fundraisers and keep hitting members for more and more.

What a perfect scenario for the SECA turf clubs. All going according to plan.

Is it time to do the right thing and rename the Longmuir to the Cox Shield. He and his administration can be remembered as the guy who destroyed local cricket.

Back to the bowls...

Back