Sharp catching drills

Sharp catching drills

I'm looking for some sharp catching drills, has anyone got any suggestions? Ideally it'll include low and high ball work.

Cheers

Re: Sharp catching drills

A good fun drill to quicken reflexes and improve catching is to use a tennis racket and starting with tennis balls, building up to tapeed balls and windballs. Arrange your guys in a simple slip cordon and get them to throw the ball to you and 'hit' it back at them, increasing the pace and direction as you go along. If someone drops the ball, they move to the end of the line and on completion of a set number of catches, the last man gets a punishment. Avioding the punishment will motivate good catching.

No worries about the plug, some great drills on display there.

Also, leggeb4 drill is well recommended, it's something we've been doing for a few years and really improves catching - just keep at it!

swghayward79 said:
I'm looking for some sharp catching drills, has anyone got any suggestions? Ideally it'll include low and high ball work.

Cheers

All the drills posted are good but the key is to practise a variety of drills often. This is a case of practice making perfect.

leggeb4 said:
A good fun drill to quicken reflexes and improve catching is to use a tennis racket and starting with tennis balls, building up to tapeed balls and windballs. Arrange your guys in a simple slip cordon and get them to throw the ball to you and 'hit' it back at them, increasing the pace and direction as you go along. If someone drops the ball, they move to the end of the line and on completion of a set number of catches, the last man gets a punishment. Avioding the punishment will motivate good catching.

Thanks very much for the drill, I'll be trying it out this weekend - have some indoor sessions lined up.

id say be careful when doing this i broke my finger when getting a ball in the end of it

it does work but they come so fast at you

pak_god said:
id say be careful when doing this i broke my finger when getting a ball in the end of it

it does work but they come so fast at you

Maybe you need to practice more? You might have poor technique if you get hit on the fingers.

Something which helped with my catching was trying to first catch with tennis balls.Try bumping the balls on the walls at quick speed and catch them on the rebound.This helps with reflexes and catching balls when the come at pace without fear.Once your catching with tennis balls becomes comfortable,then gradually try doing catching drills with a cricket ball.

Yes I used to do the same in my building by throwing the ball against the wall and catching it. Its a lot of fun and nice practice too.
In the nets we form a circle and the coach stands in the middle with a bat. Then we throw balls at him and he hits in any direction for us to catch.

tennis ball is good as it means you learn to have soft hands

i put a 'v' shaped bit of card in the way so is reflects the ball and i have to dive for it, means im more reactive with a cricket ball

tennis ball is very soft. i like to practice with the real ball although it does hurt when you get the dive wrong.

Back