Side Pains

FBI

Side Pains

Since about three years back, I have recieved side pains in my right side (I am a left arm over the wicket fast bowler if it helps) during my bowling and soreness afterwards.

It started three years back. I was working up real pace but the lower side of my back felt an extremely intense pain about 1s after I released the ball. With deep heat, the pain went away for the year.

Two years back, it was just above my hip bone in the fleshy area. It hurt at the point of delivery and the intense pain afterwards was there too in the new area. It meant that I could only lob the ball to the batsman (Joel Garner in Beach cricket-esque).

More recently, (from the end of two years ago season to present day) the pain has been in the hip bone on the side. The pain is very rarely when I bowl but there is significent soreness about one hour after the session to the point where I can barely walk until I sleep. This pre-season, I have been wearing a back support (backwards, so the side is covered) and there soreness is no longer when I walk but is still there and tbh, it is becoming extremely irritating. I am not sure how you can sore-up a bone but I seem to be doing it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Side Pains

You seem to be a bit like me Manee, falling to pieces :laugh:

But, as i said to someone else, a lot of this could be due to you still growing, i'm no expert, but my pains and injuries have lessoned the more i grow, i think at 6"2 i'm done....hopefully.

Simbazz said:
You seem to be a bit like me Manee, falling to pieces :laugh:

But, as i said to someone else, a lot of this could be due to you still growing, i'm no expert, but my pains and injuries have lessoned the more i grow, i think at 6"2 i'm done....hopefully.

Yes, I am falling to pieces but I doubt it is growing pains because I have not grown for the last few months.

I bet it is extremely irritating Manee.

Do you ever experience this pain when you have not bowled [say] out of season?

How great is your lateral extension [How much do you lean/bend to the right]?

Liz Ward said:
I bet it is extremely irritating Manee.

Do you ever experience this pain when you have not bowled [say] out of season?

How great is your lateral extension [How much do you lean/bend to the right]?

I do sometimes experience the pain when I havent bowled but it is an extremely dull pain then and nothing serious.

Assuming you mean lateral extention in the bowling action...I bend quite a lot to the right during delivery but nothing too far out of the ordinary...I'll get you a picture when I get home from school.

manee said:
Assuming you mean lateral extention in the bowling action...I bend quite a lot to the right during delivery but nothing too far out of the ordinary...I'll get you a picture when I get home from school.

Hey! The Quote Object's working for me now :D [I hope!]

Yes, I did mean whilst bowling [it was the end of a long day :sleep:] However, if you over extend laterally whilst doing the Salsa, it still applies :laugh:

A picture would help. If you were one of my guys, I would put you in front of a couple of cameras [front and side on] and analyse your movement. The pain is caused by one of three possibilities but I should like to see the picture before I comment; front on please!

Liz Ward said:
Hey! The Quote Object's working for me now :D [I hope!]

Yes, I did mean whilst bowling [it was the end of a long day :sleep:] However, if you over extend laterally whilst doing the Salsa, it still applies :laugh:

A picture would help. If you were one of my guys, I would put you in front of a couple of cameras [front and side on] and analyse your movement. The pain is caused by one of three possibilities but I should like to see the picture before I comment; front on please!

Here it is:

If you want ones earlier or later in the action, just ask.

I am afraid that's it Manee! I take it you bowl quite a lot?

As I have said somewhere else ::), if it works, don't fix it!

I assume you are quite successful with your bowling? If that is the case, you will be reluctant to change it. I would prefer you did not lean so much but the alternative is to work to strengthen the obliques [internal and external], your latissimus dorsi and the core, particularly the quadratus lumborum.

I would have much preferred to see you do this topless but I can be [more or less] sure that there is muscle imbalance under that shirt.

Continue to do all the 'functional' training you have been picking up but throw in a side raise every day; you can do it in front of the TV if you wish ;)

Let me know how you find the exercise at the beginning; I would be interested to know how the left raise compares with the right ie, how long you can hold each for and how high you can raise each hip in relation to the other.

Liz Ward said:
I would have much preferred to see you do this topless but I can be [more or less] sure that there is muscle imbalance under that shirt.

Liz, its not that kind of site. ;)

Sorry Manee, when I asked about the hip, I meant the joint, not the bone. I cannot see your feet, which are extremely important but having analysed the two photographs, your follow through concerns me a little; I would love to see a video, preferably without trousers. [Behave yourself Simbazz :p]

If you have a good coach, get him/her to check your kinetic chain; I suspect your knee, ankle and possibly your hip pains are caused by your alignment at the point of the rotation of your right foot.

Yes, the side raise and side plank are the same.

Make sure your hips are stacked, one on top of the other before you raise and try and lift your hips as high as you can.

The following is a extract from my posting 'November 13, 2007, 07:00:11 PM' in the 'My Injuries' thread.

I suggest the side raise. It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a very useful exercise for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing or running posture.

Research using electromyography has shown that during this exercise, the obliques work very hard to raise the trunk laterally whilst the lower back and abs are working significantly to assist.

Other research has suggested that the side raise is effective for recruiting the qadratus lumborum muscle. The latissimus dorsi muscle helps to stabilise the arm whilst the gluteals stabilise the pelvis.

Hope this helps Manee.

Yes it does. Will a stretch that my brother doesn't stop suggesting help...

We have about 10kg dumbells and he recommends holding one in one arm and simply leaning to one side to the extent that the arm is being slid down one side and up the other.

You need to activate the obliques, so you will need to rotate at some stage.

Stand, feet hip width apart, in the centre of a room facing one wall, good alignment and posture. Raise your right arm straight above you, fingers pointing upwards then bend to your left at the waist, as far as you can go, and slightly forward so your hand is pointing to the left corner of the room.

How does that feel?

Liz Ward said:
You need to activate the obliques, so you will need to rotate at some stage.

Stand, feet hip width apart, in the centre of a room facing one wall, good alignment and posture. Raise your right arm straight above you, fingers pointing upwards then bend to your left at the waist, as far as you can go, and slightly forward so your hand is pointing to the left corner of the room.

How does that feel?

It feels very stiff, I can barely go 20 degrees. I will start all the stretches you have suggested on the weekend with any stretches I do posted in my blog on this site.

Great! I shall keep an eye on your blog.

Wait until you have strengthened these muscles before you attempt your brother's exercise.

With the last stretch, try and increase it each time, sideways and forwards.

Always perform on both sides.

Enjoy!

Back