Slider

To me he's still saying that he was trying to bowl a 'proper' delivery the big turning leg break, he then says it was in-effective because it wasn't gripping, he then seems to suggest that he didn't then change anything - at no point does he say, I then invented a new delivery, he just seems to suggest he continued bowling the big turning leggie, knowing full well that in some situations it just goes on, which Ian Healey alluded to. It's not a delivery, it's just a consequence of the ball not turning! There is no such thing as a slider, it's just a leg break gone wrong.
Dan Vettori gave some great commentary once on what he does to vary everything with his deliveries. He said that on good batting pitches he tries very hard to mix landing regulation side spinning deliveries on the seam or on the leather, the reason being that on these pitches the ones on the seam turn and the ones on the leather don't.

A slider is a delivery that takes advantage of this effect. If you undercut a legbreak rather than give it overspin the ball will land on the leather and not the seam. This delivery will still drift in but will not obviously have the dip of a regular legbreak with some overspin.

To a batsman who has been fed a series of standard legbreaks, the slider will appear like nothing special except if he is paying attention he'll notice the ball is drifting in but not dipping as much. The bit that will get his attention is when the ball lands on the leather, doesn't turn and crashes into his pads!

This delivery exists as a legitimate variation and is used by a lot of legspinners I know

Dan Vettori gave some great commentary once on what he does to vary everything with his deliveries. He said that on good batting pitches he tries very hard to mix landing regulation side spinning deliveries on the seam or on the leather, the reason being that on these pitches the ones on the seam turn and the ones on the leather don't.

A slider is a delivery that takes advantage of this effect. If you undercut a legbreak rather than give it overspin the ball will land on the leather and not the seam. This delivery will still drift in but will not obviously have the dip of a regular legbreak with some overspin.

To a batsman who has been fed a series of standard legbreaks, the slider will appear like nothing special except if he is paying attention he'll notice the ball is drifting in but not dipping as much. The bit that will get his attention is when the ball lands on the leather, doesn't turn and crashes into his pads!

This delivery exists as a legitimate variation and is used by a lot of legspinners I know
I know I'm being pedantic, but show me it in a text book written by someone of consequence and I'll accept it.

I know I'm being pedantic, but show me it in a text book written by someone of consequence and I'll accept it.
I'll try and dig some stuff out regarding it. It is usually covered in the off-spin bowlers section though.

You may already be doing this but I suggest you think about how each variation acts on different pitches and what it means whether it lands on the leather or the seam.

Here's a video here with an example of a ball that I might buy into that looks as though it might be intentional and therefore developed as an intended delivery that doesn't spin. It looks as though this bloke Jeetan Patel bowls so well and is so in control of the ball he can send it down with the seam angled so much the ball isn't going to grip/land on the seam. The commentator as usual calls it a Slider, which always worries me. But the footage is so clear and Patel is so precise and accurate I'm almost convinced this angling of the ball is wholly intentional. It'd be great if there was an interview with him and he was able to confirm that this is what he was doing/does.
have a look at about 3.00

Here's a video here with an example of a ball that I might buy into that looks as though it might be intentional and therefore developed as an intended delivery that doesn't spin. It looks as though this bloke Jeetan Patel bowls so well and is so in control of the ball he can send it down with the seam angled so much the ball isn't going to grip/land on the seam. The commentator as usual calls it a Slider, which always worries me. But the footage is so clear and Patel is so precise and accurate I'm almost convinced this angling of the ball is wholly intentional. It'd be great if there was an interview with him and he was able to confirm that this is what he was doing/does.
have a look at about 3.00

I wouldn't call that a slider. It's actually really similar to the normal offbreak, just a wider seam angle, maybe not so much on it.

I would say that the offspinner's 'arm ball' is the equivalent of the legspinner's slider. Both are pushed through with the spinning finger rather than spun with the spinning finger.

Back