Slowness

I

imported_Waleed

Slowness

Well here it goes we usually play 12-15 overs matches at the club which i recently joined. Well i take my time to get settle and i bat slowly earlier in my innings and usually early on i struggle but when i'm settled its hard to get me out but my problem is that I cant play quick. I bat lower down the order at number 5-6 but im going to ask if i can bat up the order. Well cause i can stick out there but i cant play shots earlier on and that doesn't help my teams cause. I think its a good technique to settle down there earlier on but since we play 12-15 overs matches i just cant afford to play slowly so I try to play shots after blocking one or two balls but struggle big time.

Re: Slowness

Rotating the strike can be just as useful as smashing 4's. Learn to play with soft hands so you can drop the ball at your feet and run. Also, learn to look for the gaps where you can push the ball for 1's and 2's.

If you can do this, you can quite easily get up to 8 an over which is handy in any form of cricket.

Well thanx for the advice but i need to block atleast a over to afterwards play the strokes and well in the situations i have been till now is that i had to smack just coming in. So well i tried to hit but was unsuccessful and thats why im willing to go up the order i think thats best for me and for the team and well i rotate the strike but i take to much time to do that i need to start doing that earlier i think perhaps im just over consience about my batting when i first step at the crease.

I used to have this problem as well but I've found that over time it's improved. For me, it was basically getting comfortable with playing my shots and thinking in an agressive mindset.

A way of doing this would be to think not in the order 'block, one, two, three, four, six' when thinking about what shot to play but 'six, four, three, two, single, block' and look to score the maximum off every ball as a starting point, with the block being a final resort. I only use this method in 20Twenty though, as in 50 over cricket I'm usually asked to be defensive.

One other approach would be to get a friend to bowl you a few before you go in and block those, then you might feel more ready to hit when you got to the middle.

You sound like your not mentally prepared to start your innings either. To get in the right frame, make sure you net before the game starts, do some throw-downs with tennis ball and a stump to get focused and then hit some throw-downs in the nets aggressively to get you in the right frame of mind and physical readiness to hit early.
Don't get bogged down and rotate strike if you still find it difficult to hit out. Strange form of cricket mind you, don't see much future in 12-15 over games?

I like the idea of soft hands and getting the ball to drop at your feet. I'm taking it that you'd speak to the other batsman and mention that you're going to try this and you'd still only run if he gives the shout to do so, as he's the one that can see where the wicket keeper is?

Cheers Tom, that's what I was expecting you'd confirm, I'll give this a go this weekend if I get a chance, it may turn out to be my best chance of getting runs!

The key is to have someone who is quick at the non-strikers end and who is backing up a good way. They need to be ready to go for it, I always have a chat between overs so we can sort things like that out.

Well today i played average but i was quite a bit satisfied with my bowling not really with my batting. I think i made 4 runs of 3 balls and got bowled out to a beautiful out swinger. It swung a bit more than what i expected and well i didnt try to be defensive and tried to play the shots from the start. It was a indoor session.

You don't have to block an over to get yourself in, you chose to. Get yourself in with some throwdowns before you go in, try and get off-strike quickly and aim to not face too many balls until you feel are seriously in,like try and get singles quickly. When you first go in, advise your partner to get ready to run a quick single, pick the deepest fielding, block to there, and bang, your off strike. Remember, if it's a bad ball, go for it, there's no use in blocking a bad ball.

And, what you got bowled by an outswinger? :confused:

You don't have to block an over to get yourself in, you chose to. Get yourself in with some throwdowns before you go in, try and get off-strike quickly and aim to not face too many balls until you feel are seriously in,like try and get singles quickly. When you first go in, advise your partner to get ready to run a quick single, pick the deepest fielding, block to there, and bang, your off strike. Remember, if it's a bad ball, go for it, there's no use in blocking a bad ball.

And, what you got bowled by an outswinger? :confused:

Yep thats what i did in that session but got carried away and got out to that outswinger swinging from leg to middle. Pitching in the line of the middle stump on a good length and seaming out and then hitting the off stump. I was timing the ball really well... and i had to play that ball as late as possible to make sure to not get out but i went for it a bit early.

Yep thats what i did in that session but got carried away and got out to that outswinger swinging from leg to middle. Pitching in the line of the middle stump on a good length and seaming out and then hitting the off stump. I was timing the ball really well... and i had to play that ball as late as possible to make sure to not get out but i went for it a bit early.

I think Jonesy makes a good point there about your attitude before you go to bat. At the moment, you're going in to bat thinking negatively, that you have to take some time to get off the mark etc.

Try to go into bat with a positive frame of mind, say that you're on top form, you know what you have to do and that you're there to punish the bad ball and looking to score off the good as well.

Half of the game of cricket is mental, crack that and it makes the rest that little bit easier.

I think Jonesy makes a good point there about your attitude before you go to bat. At the moment, you're going in to bat thinking negatively, that you have to take some time to get off the mark etc.

Try to go into bat with a positive frame of mind, say that you're on top form, you know what you have to do and that you're there to punish the bad ball and looking to score off the good as well.

Half of the game of cricket is mental, crack that and it makes the rest that little bit easier.

Thanx for the advices guys. I'm going to go with a positive frame of mind the next time.

Thanx for the advices guys. I'm going to go with a positive frame of mind the next time.

We have a few yongsters at the club who have a similar problem as you, they take a while to get in. The club coach has devised drills where they have to learn to put the ball into certain areas (between cones, onto a target etc) in order to help them learn how to look for runs and find spaces when boundaries are hard to come by.

I think you could look into doing the same, they may not score big 50s but they can now chip in with a run a ball 20/30 mostly from 1s and 2s which can annoy the bowling side more than the 4s and 6s.

We have a few yongsters at the club who have a similar problem as you, they take a while to get in. The club coach has devised drills where they have to learn to put the ball into certain areas (between cones, onto a target etc) in order to help them learn how to look for runs and find spaces when boundaries are hard to come by.

I think you could look into doing the same, they may not score big 50s but they can now chip in with a run a ball 20/30 mostly from 1s and 2s which can annoy the bowling side more than the 4s and 6s.

Well the aggressive mind set didn't work well out for me and i got out cheaply so i think i don't have to take much pressure and bat freely.

Well the aggressive mind set didn't work well out for me and i got out cheaply so i think i don't have to take much pressure and bat freely.

I think you have to have a confident mind set. If you go out all guns blazing then the chances are you'll have one decent innings in 20 or something like that.

The key is to make the most of any run scoring opportunity that comes your way. Makes 1's from nothing, turn a 1 into 2 and a 2 into a 3 etc. Put pressure on the fielding team whenever possible.

You also have to remember that it may not happen overnight. Work at in practice, communicate with your team - talk about calling and looking to pinch the single etc. Set drills that help you to find gaps etc. It will take time but when it comes together it will really pay off. The best batsman are the ones who can adapt to the situation and still scores runs - even if they are having to do by finding the gaps and making 1s and 2s out of nothing.

I think you have to have a confident mind set. If you go out all guns blazing then the chances are you'll have one decent innings in 20 or something like that.

The key is to make the most of any run scoring opportunity that comes your way. Makes 1's from nothing, turn a 1 into 2 and a 2 into a 3 etc. Put pressure on the fielding team whenever possible.

You also have to remember that it may not happen overnight. Work at in practice, communicate with your team - talk about calling and looking to pinch the single etc. Set drills that help you to find gaps etc. It will take time but when it comes together it will really pay off. The best batsman are the ones who can adapt to the situation and still scores runs - even if they are having to do by finding the gaps and making 1s and 2s out of nothing.

Back