someblokecalleddave's Blog

Stevey, not sure about iphones (might be the app?) but I am about to start the third year of using it with the juniors and haven't paid a penny. I think its free for the emails but texts are limited and it costs players (12p?) to reply via text. I am not on commission, but it is something that works and does just what it says on the tin. As I said, my biggest fear when rolling this out to players is lack of response, we have a couple of parents who were not keen at the start but I think the pros far outweigh any cons, certainly from a management point of view

Stevey, not sure about iphones (might be the app?) but I am about to start the third year of using it with the juniors and haven't paid a penny. I think its free for the emails but texts are limited and it costs players (12p?) to reply via text. I am not on commission, but it is something that works and does just what it says on the tin. As I said, my biggest fear when rolling this out to players is lack of response, we have a couple of parents who were not keen at the start but I think the pros far outweigh any cons, certainly from a management point of view
Yeah I like the look of it. Just been playing around with a dummy profile. I'm struggling to work out the best way to make say 3 teams from one club, where the attendance is required for the day, not for the team. Our first 2 teams are the same divisiion for example. I can't work out how to have Milton I Milton II and Milton III. If i create 3 teams, then when a game is due, I want responses from 50+ people for availability. If I create 3 seperate events, that means each player could need to reply to 3 seperate texts/notifications?

Yeah I like the look of it. Just been playing around with a dummy profile. I'm struggling to work out the best way to make say 3 teams from one club, where the attendance is required for the day, not for the team. Our first 2 teams are the same divisiion for example. I can't work out how to have Milton I Milton II and Milton III. If i create 3 teams, then when a game is due, I want responses from 50+ people for availability. If I create 3 seperate events, that means each player could need to reply to 3 seperate texts/notifications?

Just updated my blog http://www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.co.uk/ and the post includes a new look at my action as I prepare for the coming season (Video).

My second match this season (albeit a bit of a scrambled together knockabout between the 3rds and 4ths at our club) and it's going okay. My son Ben bowled superbly and I've started to keep a tally of our bowling figures. When I say 'Ours' I mean the kids that I'm directly involved in bringing on via practicing with me in 'The Paddock' Here's the account on my blog...

Be careful with the achilles! Did it suddenly go or is it a more subtle injury? I'm guessing the latter, it's like a rifle shot if you snap it. I once had that and somehow carried on running as I was on for a record time... not clever.

Sneaky and subtle, it felt like the high bit at the back of your shoe was rubbing on my Achilles, I couldn't tell you whether I hurt before I started bowling or while I was bowling, but it was just uncomfortable and therefore at the back of my mind and putting me off, once I noticed it, it was just there nagging and getting in the way of my usual relaxed bowling stated of mind. Soreness has gone now - stopped being sore by Monday, I'm probably not going to play on Saturday. I've been on crutches since Sunday, but tomorrow I'll be limping without the crutches and see how I go. I'll start doing some physio as well in the evening. I've torn it before and ended up in a boot for the best part of 12 months.

What did you do with yours, how long was your recovery?

Be careful with the achilles! Did it suddenly go or is it a more subtle injury? I'm guessing the latter, it's like a rifle shot if you snap it. I once had that and somehow carried on running as I was on for a record time... not clever.

Sneaky and subtle, it felt like the high bit at the back of your shoe was rubbing on my Achilles, I couldn't tell you whether I hurt before I started bowling or while I was bowling, but it was just uncomfortable and therefore at the back of my mind and putting me off, once I noticed it, it was just there nagging and getting in the way of my usual relaxed bowling stated of mind. Soreness has gone now - stopped being sore by Monday, I'm probably not going to play on Saturday. I've been on crutches since Sunday, but tomorrow I'll be limping without the crutches and see how I go. I'll start doing some physio as well in the evening. I've torn it before and ended up in a boot for the best part of 12 months.

I snapped the right one, it kinda healed well, but then I got carried away with changing my running style to landing on the fore/midfoot instead of heel-striking. Neither foot was ready for this and I kept 'running through' the pain, which was not advisable. I was a bit addicted to running. So I gave myself a BIG problem. Finally when I was having trouble walking I decided I had better stop running.

I'm now at the point where I can play a game of cricket, running on grass, without too many problems. Felt a little bit of soreness but nothing major. This is maybe seven or eight years after the initial problem. So do be careful.

I can actually feel the back of the shoe thing as you write about it. You should avoid shoes with those raised bits at the heel as much as possible. Ouch! Make sure that the shoes you wear for regular use aren't digging in. Temporarily you might benefit from heel pads or gel insoles to manage the acute problem to take the load off the achilles but I found that regular wearing of these actually prevented full healing as I think it stops you fully stretching the achilles. It might be a good idea to wear gel insoles while playing cricket, that takes the load of the achilles while you are doing the running around.

I think doing lots of regular hamstring stretches helped also the eccentric exercises. The stretching and exercises breaks down the scar tissue, which then heals properly - the new cells take 3 months to fully integrate so this is why healing can take so long.

Something else I dabbled with is ozonated olive oil. I firmly believe this is amazing stuff for all kinds of skin conditions but think it might even get to the achilles too.

I snapped the right one, it kinda healed well, but then I got carried away with changing my running style to landing on the fore/midfoot instead of heel-striking. Neither foot was ready for this and I kept 'running through' the pain, which was not advisable. I was a bit addicted to running. So I gave myself a BIG problem. Finally when I was having trouble walking I decided I had better stop running.

I'm now at the point where I can play a game of cricket, running on grass, without too many problems. Felt a little bit of soreness but nothing major. This is maybe seven or eight years after the initial problem. So do be careful.

I can actually feel the back of the shoe thing as you write about it. You should avoid shoes with those raised bits at the heel as much as possible. Ouch! Make sure that the shoes you wear for regular use aren't digging in. Temporarily you might benefit from heel pads or gel insoles to manage the acute problem to take the load off the achilles but I found that regular wearing of these actually prevented full healing as I think it stops you fully stretching the achilles. It might be a good idea to wear gel insoles while playing cricket, that takes the load of the achilles while you are doing the running around.

I think doing lots of regular hamstring stretches helped also the eccentric exercises. The stretching and exercises breaks down the scar tissue, which then heals properly - the new cells take 3 months to fully integrate so this is why healing can take so long.

Something else I dabbled with is ozonated olive oil. I firmly believe this is amazing stuff for all kinds of skin conditions but think it might even get to the achilles too.

Sounds bad. Mines just a strain, but I did tear it 12 years ago and ended up in a boot for best part of a year. I'm not playing this weekend and realistically I think I can see next weekend being the same, I don't want to be written off for a whole year and I'm going surfing later in the summer, so want to be healed by then. I've been without crutches today, but hobbling around. I may go back to crutches tomorrow though? Did yours snap clean in half or was it a bad rupture/tear?

I think just partial tear. I didn't actually get it checked out at the time, but I'm guessing I would have needed surgery to fix a complete tear.

Is it both feet that you have problems with?

I think just partial tear. I didn't actually get it checked out at the time, but I'm guessing I would have needed surgery to fix a complete tear.

Is it both feet that you have problems with?
No just this one - right one. Never had any signs that it was going to happen, but I must admit no real warm up as such, plus I've got no idea when it happened, it just gradually dawned on me while I was bowling something was wrong.

Good news for my younger son Joe today. He's been selected to train for and play for the South Essex District Cricket Board today after doing a series of trials in recent weeks. One more layer up and he'll be playing county level cricket for his age group.

My congratulations. :thumbsu: Keep us posted about how he goes.

Back