Spin Bowling Drills video

someblokecalleddave

Spin Bowling Drills video

With the Beau Casson/John F Cook video from Wattacoach being removed from Youtube it's dawned on me that there is a definite lack of freely available information on the internet when it comes to our speciality. One of the great things about the internet is that it's supposed to be about choice and access and freedom of information and the sharing of information.

With the removal of the John F Cook video there's now a bit of a void that needs to be filled and this prompted me to post in my big cricket blog the following...............

If you're a regular visitor to the Spinning thread you may have noticed that we have a thread where we post links to on-line resources (videos, blogs, diagrams, explanations and guidance) Videos and Links but recently one of the key videos that we direct people to has been removed.

The video that was removed was unlike any of the Jenner/warne videos that look primarily at the grips, this video dealt with

Run up and the fact that it should be straight. The drill involved using a series of cones creating a 'Lane' in which your run up was then directed in order you to run up in a straight line. The emphasis was that everything should be in line as you bowl, your hips, shoulders, eyes, leading arm, feet etc.

The explosion through the crease In this section Beau Casson demonstrated a standing start delivery emphasising a high leading arm, a defined rotation with the back leg almost kicking your butt. If I remember rightly there was also the reinforcement of the need for the landing leg to be pointing in the direction that you needed to be bowling when it landed (not the pivot leg) and that the rotation needed to be 180 degrees and with power -hence the description of it being an explosion through the crease.

The one step in delivery The follow up delivery was off of one step, but the rest of the message was pretty much the same, but possibly included the attention to the follow through and the fact that it is required and essential still.

The braced Pivot leg The need for a braced pivot leg through the action and the need for the rotation to be compact and through 180 degrees with eveything pointing down the wicket again. This was a clip filmed front on.

The first step onto the pivot foot There was some indication that this step needs to be fairly long, positive, pointing towards the stumps and then braced through the action and going up onto the toes in the pivot.

180 line drill This clip showed David Freedman pretending to explode through the crease going through the motions of a delivery along a line on a football pitch to check that every thing is straight and the rotation is 180 degrees along the line.

The follow through This is one aspect I'm not sure about either, the leading arm I think I recall was suggested that it 'Tucks in the ribs' neatly in a compact manner and the delivery (ball hand) follows through down to the left hip in the follow through action as you fade out of the explosion.

The reason I've written all this up is to possibly start some discussion with regards as to whether it sounds right and whether anyone want to under takes making a video themselves that demonstrates the drills. Indeed if you've ever been coached by Jenner or anyone that knows what they're talking about and you can replicate the drills please film them and upload them as there's nothing like this on the web at all. I'm considering it, but to be honest I'm a learner myself and might do more harm than good?

It strikes me that out there in our on-line community and those that are posting on youtube, there must be some people that have had proper specific coaching in wrist spinning and know these drills and therefore have the capability to replace the John F Cook video. Come on people - who's going to have a go and when you do - post the links back here and in the video links thread.

Re: Spin Bowling Drills video

Looks like it's gonna be me that does the Beau Casson video re-make. Me and my younger son Joe (SomekidcalledJoe) shot some footage tonight, so I'll have a look through it and might put up some provisional clips for you lot to comment on as to whether it's okay, if I've done half a decent job, maybe I'll shoot some more in a more salubrous environment?

Re: Spin Bowling Drills video

Here you go the first one. Have I got this right? Have a look at the accompanying text is that right as well. If there's flaws in it let me know and I'll try and put them right. I'm hopefully going to re-shoot them at a better location, but with it being sept and wind being a feature and it playing havoc on the mic - this may be the only opportunity?

YouTube - 76465464

There's another one following, shot from behind the stumps looking down the wicket at the bowler

And here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWfGMinm3Y

Back