Stanford And The Ecb

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
Word is receivers acting for creditors of people stitched up by Stanford are going after money he gave to the ECB as part of their ludicrous T20 tournament some years back. Figures are in the region of £2 million which would leave a dent in the ECB budget.

What do you reckon, will they get the money back (which to me in some ways implies the ECB knew it was dodgy cash) or is it simply a smoke screen?

Well the article says that the ECB are unlikely to have to pay up which I suppose is good for them from a financial point of view. Whether that is certain to happen or not is anyone's guess.

The whole thing is a very messy though and the ECB are lucky to get out of it without owing anymore amounts of money to other parties. They would be wise to let their players play in the IPL, even if it's only for a portion of the tournament. As long as these players aren't skipping international games I don't see a problem with it.

Think the ECB and BCCI have an understanding regarding the IPL although the relationship is not as smooth as it could be. As you suggest though the whole Stanford mess was driven by a desire to one up the BCCI and the IPL.

If they wanted to one up the BCCI and the IPL they should have their own T20 tournament similar to what the IPL is. Cricket Australia are doing a similar thing next summer, it's obvious it's a money grab but I also think they're trying to outdo the IPL as well by trying attract some of the world's best T20 players and have it right here in Australia.

I think the time has passed on that front for the ECB and they'll muddle on with what they currently have. At least until people stop attending.

As for Stanford, it was just timing I think. Lots of cash and a chance to take a chunk out of the IPL with minimal hassle. Didn't quite work out that way.

Back