Straight Driving help.

Simbazz

Straight Driving help.

I was in the nets today (Outside for once, its been nice and dry) and i've noticed that my straight driving has actually gone to pot. Its terrible, especially when trying to play it straight off the back foot.

Is there anything i can do to improve? I'm decent on the cover drive, im decent on the off drive, so why cant i play in between?

Thanks.

Re: Straight Driving help.

Simbazz said:
Is there anything i can do to improve? I'm decent on the cover drive, im decent on the off drive, so why cant i play in between?

Thanks.

Do you mean on drive?

Can't provide too much technical advice but I recommend practising blocking the ball toward the bowler to get the correct body shape and then advance to pushing and later driving the ball straight.

PS: The reason you can play cover and on drives but not the straight drive is because you close yourself up when you coverdrive and open yourself up when playing an on drive, making both completely different to a straight drive with the exception of the name.

I did indeed mean On Drive, i apologize for the mistake :p I was trying to do something else at the time.

i am quite good at hitting a straight drive, its all about offering the ball the full face of the bat, but its getting the power behind the shot and beating the bowler and mid on/off that i have trouble with.

for the straight-drive on the front foot you must must reach the pitch of the ball & use your bottom hand so that it'll be easier to beat the bowler & mid-on & mid-off. & the most important thing is to have a good follow through. As for the on-drive on the front foot
It's very similar to the straight drive except you have move your front leg across a few inches so that you'll be able to beat mid-on. & at the last second just turn the wrist for better placement

get a tennis ball, a wall and a cricket bat lol, then throw the tennis ball at the wall and just practice the straight drive = \ may help lol, when i first started playing cricket i used to do that alot, and now all my drives are pretty much perfect lol

Yeah, I practice against a wall a lot bcos my brother hates cricket. It can get kinda boring but it helps a lot.

i have noticed that when i play the cover drive i have more room for my arms to flow thorugh..so with the on drive i make sure a take a smaller stride and get my leg widder than normal, but that works for me(recomened by and essex coach so cant be bad) hope i can help

chesterH4 said:
i have noticed that when i play the cover drive i have more room for my arms to flow thorugh..so with the on drive i make sure a take a smaller stride and get my leg widder than normal, but that works for me(recomened by and essex coach so cant be bad) hope i can help

Thanks for your input and welcome to the board! Hope you find the forums useful!

keep your bat straight during your back lift and then keep it straight when playing the shot also

chesterH4 said:

Good to see you here Chester, I hope we hear a lot more from you.

Congratulations for getting through the Trials x :D

Back