Stretches for Flexibilty (Legs)

mas cambios

Seeing as some of the guys have posted elsewhere on simplyCricket saying that they have problems in touching their toes, I'd thought I'd throw the problem out to Liz to see what exercises she can suggest!

would someone be able to help me out with some ways to overcome poor flexibility in the hamstrings

i can only touch just past half way down my shins when i stretch out and if i can overcome this problem then i may be able to increase the pace of my bowling.

this problem has not just come up recently i have this problem for a long time now

Re: Stretches for Flexibilty (Legs)

Having thought about it, I think it may help if I post a different stretch every couple of days for you to try.

There are sport and position specific stretches i.e. some specifically for batsman, some specifically for bowlers and I will let you know which when I post them. However, I recommend that everybody include all the stretches in their programmes, at the end of activity, when the muscles are warm.

For now though, I shall post a good stretch for the hamstrings. Always remember posture and alignment!

Standing Leg-up Hamstring Stretch

Stand upright, feet parallel and raise one leg onto an object in front of you [coffee table, chair back, park bench etc] as high as you can in comfort and retaining good posture and alignment.

Keep the raised leg straight with toes pointing upwards.

Keep the back straight and lean forward at the hips.

Hold the stretch for 10 seconds.

Take a deep breath and as you breathe out, increase the stretch [lean a little further].

Hold the stretch for 10 seconds.

Take a deep breath and as you breathe out, increase the stretch again.

Hold the stretch for another 10 seconds.

Repeat on the other leg.

The back should always be straight, only bending at the hips.

That stretch is very useful for me too, although I am slightly confused as to what you mean by leaning at the hips whilst keeping the back straight.

i tried doing this stretch and when i am doing it, it hurts more at the back of my knee rather than in the hamstrings

is that normal or am i not doin it right ????

Liz is doing a great job as usual.

Let me chime in with a wider view. Stretching is one part of the puzzle. Often what feels like 'tight hamstrings' is really an immobile front of the hip or an under active glute muscle.

That's why as well as stretching front (hip flexors, quads), back (hamstrings, calfs) and side (IT band) you should also spend time 'loosening' the hip area through mobility drills as part of your warm up. You also need to ensure your glutes are firing by doing activation drills in your warm up like glute bridges.

Finally, speed is not directly related to hamstring flexibility as far as I know. Speed is the direct result of a fast stretch-contraction of a muscle over a wide range of motion. That means you need to have power and mobility rather than the ability to touch your toes.

manee said:
That stretch is very useful for me too, although I am slightly confused as to what you mean by leaning at the hips whilst keeping the back straight.

This means the body only bends at the hip.

Guys often 'round' their backs so their body 'curves' like the letter 'C'.

Bend only at the hip so your body looks like the symbol '<'.

Ads said:
i tried doing this stretch and when i am doing it, it hurts more at the back of my knee rather than in the hamstrings

is that normal or am i not doin it right ????

Not surprising as the hamstrings insert on the head of the fibula. However, this is not the sensation you require. Keep you knees soft at all times. You can bend the non stretched leg, but keep the knees 'soft' on the straight, stretched leg; you should start to feel the sensation in the belly of the hamstrings.

oh yeah

i tried it just then and that helped me heaps

the pain in the back of knee was gone and i could just touch my toes

although there was still a pain in my hamstring but that is what i should be feeling yeah

Well, you should certainly be feeling the stretch. If it really is 'pain', ease off a little; you should not feel 'pain' in any exercise/stretch you do.

Please remember to keep your toes facing upwards; if they lean to the left or right, you will be stretching the wrong combination of muscles and this could lead to muscle imbalance... and of course... injury during play.

is there a stretch i can do that will help me with my back??
it think i pulled a muscle and i think i will continue to do this if i dont find some good stretches to warm up my back any suggestions??

how often should this be done for maximum results?
And in how will the flexibility help my cricket, or is it just good practise to stretch?

These exercises, and the others I shall post, should be performed after every activity.

These exercises are multi skills and should be performed by everybody just to keep your body in tip top form for life in general, as you can imagine, this is even more important for sports people.

Tight muscles are the main cause for biomechanical dysfunction which in turn cause injury.

For your cricket, you need to perform more functional dynamic flexibility before every match/training. These will be a lot easier if you have greater ROM.

Just doing a bit of housekeeping. The following stretch should be here.

Leaning Heel-Back Calf Stretch

Lean forward and hold on to a chair back.
Good alignment; feet parallel, hip width apart.
Step one leg back straightened [as far as possible]; front leg bent.
Lower the back heel to the floor.

Hold for 10 seconds.
Inhale deeply and extend the stretch on exhalation.
Hold for 10 seconds.
Inhale deeply and extend the stretch on exhalation.
Hold for 10 seconds.

Make sure you stretch both calves for the same length of time. If time is short, you can maintain this stretch with just one, 10 second hold on each calf.

Hip Flexor Stretch

Kneel in the 'Sir Galahad' position; one knee on the ground, other knee up, knees at 90/90 degrees.
Brace your core and inhale.
Exhale, clench your buttocks and lean forward, keeping your trunk and hips upright and facing forward.
Hold for 10-15 seconds.

Repeat on the other leg.

This stretches the Psoas, Iliacus, Rectus femoris, Sartorius and Tensor fascia lata.

About time for another stretch ;) This time we are going 'dynamic'!

Whilst standing, gently swing one leg forwards and backwards gradually.
Try to get higher and higher each time.
15 swings on each leg.

This is good to do first thing in the morning as it will set the length of the muscle spindle for the day!

Muscle spindles are sensors in a muscle that sense the amount and speed of a stretch. If you take the leg higher and higher the muscle spindle allows it to go safely and lengthen the muscle. Do not force the muscle or the a stretch reflex will cause the muscle to shorten through reflex contraction.

Having good flexibility in the hamstrings [range of motion about the hip and knee] will help prevent stress on the lumbar spine and ease any lower back problems.

Stretching the Quadriceps

Stand feet, parallel and together.
Brace your core to find your balance.
Raise one heel to your buttock.
Hold the raised ankle with your hand [same side].
Make sure your knees are together and there is no gap between your inner thighs.
Keep your chest up.

Hold the stretch for 10 secs.
Increase the stretch and hold for another 10 secs.
Increase the stretch and hold for another 10 secs.

If you need to increase this stretch more, push your knee directly behind you whilst still keeping upright.
This also stretches the hip flexors.

Repeat with the other leg.

Back