Struggling To Move My Feet

Superowl

hey, i really really need help with this aspect of my game, i feel my shot technique is great and have been told so, and when i get my feet moving i usually find the middle.

the problem i am having is when i first start batting my feet are concrete, they dont move

are there any drills or tips anyone can give to help in this area / as i feel if i get this sorted i can progress as a cricketer

Cheers

Get them moving before the ball is bowled - there are several ways to do this - you can either take a back and across trigger movement, a front foot press a la Ricky Ponting, or you can simply bounce on the spot. Very few batsmen don't do something just before the ball is bowled.

take a small step forward but remember to keep your knees slightly bent and keep your balance upright this should give you great stability and you can press forward or back depending on length of the ball

Superowl, as SLA has said lots of batters have some sort of movement pre delivery and its really down to personal preference which works for you, there certainly 'isnt a one size fits all'. If you can ask a coach what they think would suit your game and why (front foot press does not suit everyone) and then give it a go. It will seem really strange initially so it is something you will have to work at and be patient with, getting the timing right is likely to upset other things in your batting but just like finding the middle of the bat, you will know when it comes together. Finally think about your head as well as your feet, much as its great to get your feet going make sure you keep your head level and in line whatever you do with your feet

I'm not by any means a great batsman (not enough experience yet) but the thing that has helped me most is to stop thinking about moving my feet and instead think about moving my head. Once I do that my feet just follow naturally - if they didn't I'd fall over!

hey, i really really need help with this aspect of my game, i feel my shot technique is great and have been told so, and when i get my feet moving i usually find the middle.

the problem i am having is when i first start batting my feet are concrete, they dont move

are there any drills or tips anyone can give to help in this area / as i feel if i get this sorted i can progress as a cricketer

Cheers

I've always found myself longing to be at the non-striker's end at the start of my innings. That way I can run a few for the batsman by when my feet should start moving automatically.

Of course, that is not always possible, so what I tend to do is as soon as I get in, go to the crease and run a couple, quickly go to one end, touchdown and return, maybe repeat a couple of times and then your feet should move well automatically (or as well as you have taught yourself to)

Back