Struggling With Bouncers

Auzayr

Struggling With Bouncers

Hi,
I am pretty good at batting in general, however, I have trouble playing the fast bouncers. I have heard so many coaches and players saying increase your reaction time or have higher backlift to hit the bouncers but I can still not play the bouncers. So could you please tell me techniques and tips on how to play quick bouncers?

Thanks

Re: Struggling With Bouncers

Hmm, I dunno really, it's more instinct for me, I just naturally get out of the way really easily for bouncers, so I'm not much help, sorry.

ive always been of the school as thought of playing them as late as possible, while i realise they are going quickly, either play them as late as possible or get out the way.

Also the best batsmen who deal with bouncers play them right infront of their eyes with out a blink!

Its all about choosing the right bouncer to play at, if your really desperate to. To play the hook, you should pick a bouncer on or outside leg stump, its a lot less risky that way. As Jonesy said, its an instinct shot, in the same way that the pull is.

Basically you don't have time for any excessive feet movement or a high backlift. Usually you will only have time to transfer your weight, which you must do.
Go [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR_pADzAKuk]here[/ame] at about 5 minutes is when he breaks down the hook shot. It is a good video, worth watching.

if they are on off stump then i will always leave them, i generally only play them if its going to hurt me!

Sure, play the bouncer, but make sure you pick the right one to play. You don't want to play at a bouncer outside off unless its towards the end of the game, its just asking for trouble, top edge trouble.
Watch the video, it should give some good pointers to how to effectively play the bouncer.
To practise it you can get a bowling machine, or get someone to stand at a bouncer length and underarm balls at your head, and practise getting your body into position. You have to practise a lot as it is an instinct shot, and you have to make it part of your instinct

Yeah I understand what you are saying, however, when a really fast bowler is bowling a throat height bouncer at full pace I can't get into position quickly its just too quick Im far too slow by the time I move back the ball has hit me, thats why I need some advice which tells me how to get into position quickly and play it. The videos are very good but they dont tell you how to quickly get into position quickly they just show it slowly. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Thanks

Yep I know what you are saying. If they are quick there is virtually no time to get yourself back and across. So you have to make sure your weight is on your back foot, keep your eyes on the ball, extend the hands and pivot off the foot to get yourself inside the line.
Quick reflexes help, but not as much as being able to pick up line and length. A high back lift won't make that much of a difference for you to change the way you bat.
Hope that has helped slightly...

So you have to make sure your weight is on your back foot

What do you mean by keep your weight on the back foot? Do you mean when at your stance stand deep in your crease or as a trigger movement go back? Could you please expand on that?

Alright, you know why the cut, for example, is a back foot shot? Because all the weight of your body is on your back foot. Its the same thing with the hook, just put all your weight on your back foot. Its not a stance, as not every ball is a bouncer, and its isn't necessarily a trigger movement

So basically when the ball is delivered you rock back onto your back foot and play the ball, right. How Can I do this movement quickly so that by the time I move back the ball is still coming and not already hit me or ive missed it.

You see the key is, you don't move back, you simply don't have enough time. Sorry, but what I was trying to say was make sure all your weight was over your back foot. So as soon as you see the ball pitched as a bouncer would, put your weight on your back foot (and don't move it back and across as that takes to much time), extend the arms and swivel, making sure your body ends up inside the line of the ball after it has been hit

Oh I get you now! So what you mean is dont move back literally but just transfer your weight onto the back foot.

Yes! Thats precisely what I meant. I do hope that has helped. That video is good as well. Let me know how you go.

anything on your hip to armpit area; step inside the line and simply angle your bat so that the pace of the ball takes the ball off the bat and down to fine leg for 1,2,3 or 4 easy runs. Any higher this isn't the shot to be used, you'll have to spot the ball early and deal with it with either the pull or hook, or leave.

Back