Subbies Thread

Big weekend of upsets. Feel a bit sorry for Werribee if they had no control over the JLT debacle. Don't think Caulfield will put in back to back shockers, Melton get the home ground advantage again, Melton vs Caulfield GF at Melton. Who would have thought that 2 weeks ago!

I also wish you better luck in your footy tipping this season

I recommend you read in the GF Edition of the VTCA's Leading Edge (available on its homepage) the initiatives by its Salary Cap Investigative Committee. You will note it has been in discussion with the VSDCA et al. It is, of course, absolutely essential the major metro cricket associations are all committed to coming on board. Given over here there are only 2 major turf comps and both are undoubtedly concerned about the ineffectiveness of the player points system in controlling player payments, I think any salary cap initiatives have a better chance of being effective in the North and the West than in the South and the East. It would be a totally unsatisfactory state of affairs if, say, another major turf comp in the East either declined to participate or paid lip-service to policing it.
I believe this issue is a good example why, in this day and age, for a salary cap to have any hope of being effective it would need to backed by the extensive resources only available to CA and CV and there be one body policing it.

I recommend you read in the GF Edition of the VTCA's Leading Edge (available on its homepage) the initiatives by its Salary Cap Investigative Committee. You will note it has been in discussion with the VSDCA et al. It is, of course, absolutely essential the major metro cricket associations are all committed to coming on board. Given over here there are only 2 major turf comps and both are undoubtedly concerned about the ineffectiveness of the player points system in controlling player payments, I think any salary cap initiatives have a better chance of being effective in the North and the West than in the South and the East. It would be a totally unsatisfactory state of affairs if, say, another major turf comp in the East either declined to participate or paid lip-service to policing it.
I believe this issue is a good example why, in this day and age, for a salary cap to have any hope of being effective it would need to backed by the extensive resources only available to CA and CV and there be one body policing it.
If you believe anything coming out of the VT , you will come a cropper.

Easy win to Oakleigh today. They passed Elsternwick's 62 when Vimpani hit a four, bringing up his 50. First time I've seen him bat - very classy.

Not a good look.

On the contrary, it is all that is better. 10th going into the last H&A, scrape into 6th, knock off 1st, go to Melton, win, make a GF that looked totally out of reach 3 weeks ago. Took a stumble in GF, yeah, bit like Bonbeach. Elsternwick would have been in the satellites under the CSB model, their story is a great advertisement for Subbies, no club is ever out of it. 18/19 GF's being contested between 4 different sides to the 17/18 series. We know you are perennial bagger but if you always looking for the worst in life, I guess that's all you will ever see.

On the contrary, it is all that is better. 10th going into the last H&A, scrape into 6th, knock off 1st, go to Melton, win, make a GF that looked totally out of reach 3 weeks ago. Took a stumble in GF, yeah, bit like Bonbeach. Elsternwick would have been in the satellites under the CSB model, their story is a great advertisement for Subbies, no club is ever out of it. 18/19 GF's being contested between 4 different sides to the 17/18 series. We know you are perennial bagger but if you always looking for the worst in life, I guess that's all you will ever see.
I was there to support the Wicks , as my early cricket was there . I was not bagging them at all . Just seems silly that the way it's set up there were 2 Grand Finals within 10K's of one another.

If you believe anything coming out of the VT , you will come a cropper.

What I am hoping for is that regular posters concerned by the adverse effects on many clubs being outbid for players will take the time to access the article and, after doing so, make informed comment on this site. It can be accessed by clicking on For Clubs on the VTCA's home page and scrolling to Leading Edge. I remind you the VSDCA has been involved in this article and, therefore, is the reason my post appears on this site.

What I am hoping for is that regular posters concerned by the adverse effects on many clubs being outbid for players will take the time to access the article and, after doing so, make informed comment on this site. It can be accessed by clicking on For Clubs on the VTCA's home page and scrolling to Leading Edge. I remind you the VSDCA has been involved in this article and, therefore, is the reason my post appears on this site.

The fact that the VTCA, the VSDCA, and CV are investigating options is testimony to the depth of the issue. It is generally acknowledged that the old pro player rules was ineffective so I struggle to see how a cap can be more effective. If a player agrees to an under the table payment, or a contra, or whatever, then it is likely to go undetected making a cap ineffective. Tightening the points cap is a better solution for mine.

Agreed,virtually all locals,disagree that they won't have a t.o.t.y rep,i would have both opening bowlers in without hesitation,both absolute captains dreams,also the keeper who i know nothing about[Fabris] flawless display in finals would be a rough chance although doesn't appear to bat much.
It was a bit sad Elsternwick couldn't perform but they'd be pretty satisfied with their year,Oakleigh deserved the win after beating the benchmark the week before in a great game.
Interesting side note,talking to a few Caulfield supporters they all said Quiney would be there next year replacing Rummans who will retire,love the rumour mill.
Watched Issy Perera take the last 8 wickets over at Noble Park,phenomenal effort from a real star,pity they fell short on the Sunday in a terrific game played on a belter and a magnificent outfield.
Picking the t.o.t.y will be the hardest job ever so get the thinking caps on.

Interesting I think also that neither PV or Oakleigh had a player in the TOTY playing 11 (maybe Pearson 12th man) Also PV lost quite a few older players and their Poms and won a flag with two 15 year olds from their Craig Shield team.

Agreed,virtually all locals,disagree that they won't have a t.o.t.y rep,i would have both opening bowlers in without hesitation,both absolute captains dreams,also the keeper who i know nothing about[Fabris] flawless display in finals would be a rough chance although doesn't appear to bat much.
It was a bit sad Elsternwick couldn't perform but they'd be pretty satisfied with their year,Oakleigh deserved the win after beating the benchmark the week before in a great game.
Interesting side note,talking to a few Caulfield supporters they all said Quiney would be there next year replacing Rummans who will retire,love the rumour mill.
Watched Issy Perera take the last 8 wickets over at Noble Park,phenomenal effort from a real star,pity they fell short on the Sunday in a terrific game played on a belter and a magnificent outfield.
Picking the t.o.t.y will be the hardest job ever so get the thinking caps on.

Think James Pearson will have the choice of ends in the TOTY but Splatt and Jones will be in the discussion with others for remaining bowling duties, one might sneak in. Still hoping Bobby heads back to Shark Park but if cash and the St Kilda connection come into play then Caulfield would be in the mix. Earlier rumours had him in at South Rd, guess every club would have made enquiries. Adam Warren officially done but nothing official from Rummo at this point.

Think James Pearson will have the choice of ends in the TOTY but Splatt and Jones will be in the discussion with others for remaining bowling duties, one might sneak in. Still hoping Bobby heads back to Shark Park but if cash and the St Kilda connection come into play then Caulfield would be in the mix. Earlier rumours had him in at South Rd, guess every club would have made enquiries. Adam Warren officially done but nothing official from Rummo at this point.
Bobby won't be at Caulfield , or anywhere.

The fact that the VTCA, the VSDCA, and CV are investigating options is testimony to the depth of the issue. It is generally acknowledged that the old pro player rules was ineffective so I struggle to see how a cap can be more effective. If a player agrees to an under the table payment, or a contra, or whatever, then it is likely to go undetected making a cap ineffective. Tightening the points cap is a better solution for mine.
I have spoken to a number of people who have read the article and all have expressed views similar to your thoughts (and mine). Even if the resources only available to CA and/or CV were directed to this issue it would still be difficult to police. Individual competitions introduced the points cap in recognition they did not have the resources to police a salary cap. I would not only reduce the total points per team but look at, say, the scaling down of the points per player not commencing until their third year. There is unused potential in the player points system, but at the moment it appears it is up to the individual associations to implement them. This is an entirely unsatisfactory state of affairs for obvious reasons. There must be uniformity across the board.

Again the strength of South came through.9th premiership in 10 years. And in the 2's . Huge step for other sections. Watched a bit of 2nd's cricket and depth in South is huge, If ever sections then at the moment would be the 7 South sides with Plenty Valley,Brunswick and Bayswater.

Again the strength of South came through.9th premiership in 10 years. And in the 2's . Huge step for other sections. Watched a bit of 2nd's cricket and depth in South is huge, If ever sections then at the moment would be the 7 South sides with Plenty Valley,Brunswick and Bayswater.

Reckon Noble would have the Binners covered and would fancy themselves against a few other South teams. Oakleigh were East for a few of those flags, only two of them since Kingston left?

Back