Subbies Thread

Word on Twitter is that Harrison and Thorne have both walked away from Yarraville. Don't know how true, but if it is the case, massive hole in their top order.

Having a bit of a laugh at subbiesspeak on twitter at the moment. Way off the mark on the South clubs. Just not as much info on social media as the other points of the compass.

Young Troy Haynes from Ivanhoe is one of the most overrated cricketers. He honestly cant bad and cant bowl. The arrogance on the bloke is unbelievable. Didn't take more than 10 wickets for the season and barley made any runs. I recommend that he goes and plays a lower level cause all he is doing is becoming the joke of the subbies

Young Troy Haynes from Ivanhoe is one of the most overrated cricketers. He honestly cant bad and cant bowl. The arrogance on the bloke is unbelievable. Didn't take more than 10 wickets for the season and barley made any runs. I recommend that he goes and plays a lower level cause all he is doing is becoming the joke of the subbies

I've seen your unintelligible musings on the DVCA forum, so I looked up Troy Haynes on mycricket.

How can a bloke who plays 2's and 3's be classed as "overrated"? Is he putting one through your ex girlfriend or something?

Hey guys,

As a former Sunshine player myself I would also like to wish Weapo luck with the massive job he has ahead. I would love to see Sunshine get back on track however I honestly cant see it happening anytime soon. I've been told (from the horses mouth) that a lot of the better players (Webb, Stone ect... ) have already signed with other clubs. I remember playing there with some great people like John Causon, Joffa King, Tim & Ben Collins, Glenn Sullivan ect.... and it was a great club but from what I'm hearing now it looks like they'll once again struggle to even get 2 teams on the park, let alone 4.

I believe there are still some good people there and someday I would love to see them winning again... But for that to happen I think the current management (committee) need to go :(

All the best for coming season.

I am also a former player and, as of a couple of weeks ago, my understanding was that of last season's senior team only Webby would be missing with Stoney playing under the captaincy of Kane Twentyman. However, I have just returned from a holiday so maybe my understanding is now out of date. Many posts on this forum have centered on whether the 'one size fits all' model such as the subbies comp is nowadays appropriate, some posts suggesting a change to a two-tiered model with a promotion and relegation system. It is not in the subbies interests to have clubs that are seiously uncompetitive as this strenghtens Cricket Victoria's present push for a re-vamp of local community cricket. The subbies comp is no longer a protected species. Once Ken Fewster departed that was inevitable and casts no adverse reflection at all on Jack Sheehan . It is the model that is at question.
Interestingly, of what may be termed the 'traditional' former Sunshine Cricket Association clubs, all but one are now VTCA affiliated and, due the VTCA providing a promotion and relegation system and many grades, I think it provides a model closely aligned to Cricket Victoria's preferred model. It is my view Sunshine would be better served seeking VTCA affilition for the longer it remains uncompetitive in the subbies the greater the probability its support base will shrink to the point where it may no longer be able to field the subbies minimum required number of senior teams. Too many clubs hang on to tradition to the detriment of their long-term interests.

This weather is spectacular and we have had a kind winter - hoping that grounds are looking good and an October 5 start can be achieved.
The 2014 AFL Footy season is starting on March 14 next year so we should be encouraging our councils to have our grounds ready to go for week 1.
Westland - how much does this good weather help the curators?

This weather is spectacular and we have had a kind winter - hoping that grounds are looking good and an October 5 start can be achieved.
The 2014 AFL Footy season is starting on March 14 next year so we should be encouraging our councils to have our grounds ready to go for week 1.
At both Sunshine and Yarraville the pitch tables have already been scarified, top-dressed and levels restored by their curators as the footy clubs using their grounds did not make the finals. W'bee's main oval is always used by the local footy comp for finals so it may not be ready for cricket by the 1st Sat in Oct. It, together with Altona and Willy, are reliant on Council for pitch preparation so these clubs have limited control over the readiness of their pitches for week 1. Melton, like Sunshine and Yarraville, is responsible for the curating of its pitches, but I am not aware if there are football final commitments at its ovals. Also, I was told during last season's finals at Melton that the club intended some major renovations to their tables, but am unaware whether that work will commence pre-season.
Experienced curators tend to keep themselves informed as to progress pre-season at grounds nearby to avoid the futility of having made a special effort to have one's own pitches fit for play week 1, only to find very few others few others in the same comp. are yet ready. Some clubs take advantage of a pitch that is ready for play ahead of the others to have a practice match on the first scheduled day of competition. Hope this brief outline is of some help.

Kind winter??????

Mansoor must have left Ormond! They were advertising a keeper on twitter so he must be gone, Prabahkaran has left as well. Any ideas where they may have gone or if they are available?

Confirmed SS,broke it in the last quarter for Riddell v Diggers Rest.Huge blow for Melton and the comp in general to lose arguably its best player.Story in melton leader.

Back