Subbies Thread

James Pearson has signed with Brun$$$$wick!! No way they fit him in the points system which is down to 20. Really trying to buy a premiership is this club.

So is the new regime looking at him for a long term cultural change??
A very short term fix - which you would argue is not what they need

Even Sunshine sacked him before the conclusion of 2011-12. I recall when Sunshine visited Preston, who provided lunch, Grenville complained because a vegetarian lunch could not be provided for him. After Lowe bowled him all ends up sending him off with the remark ''that was too good for you son'' Grenville stormed off the ground and had the sulks staying inside his car for the remainder of the day's play. That was his final game for Sunshine, to the relief of many. A long-term cultural change indeed!!

Big couple of days
Pearson to Brunswick - surprising and concerning to see another player switch clubs, how many players from other Subbies clubs have Brunswick taken now, Sanders, Murphy, Fort, do they not value bringing through their own? They seem to target players in leadership positions at other clubs too, which is quite concerning for the whole divide of the competition, big clubs get bigger, smaller clubs struggle.
Box Hill would be shattered, losing your captain for more money to another club is gut wrenching
Sheedy to Aberfeldie in VTCA, a monetary offer too good to refuse at his age?
And Grenville back, extraordinary another club could have him, but understandable given how close to rock bottom Moorabbin have hit

Even Sunshine sacked him before the conclusion of 2011-12. I recall when Sunshine visited Preston, who provided lunch, Grenville complained because a vegetarian lunch could not be provided for him. After Lowe bowled him all ends up sending him off with the remark ''that was too good for you son'' Grenville stormed off the ground and had the sulks staying inside his car for the remainder of the day's play. That was his final game for Sunshine, to the relief of many. A long-term cultural change indeed!!
So where else has he been St. Bernards , Mount Waverley , Murrumbeena ?

Big couple of days
Pearson to Brunswick - surprising and concerning to see another player switch clubs, how many players from other Subbies clubs have Brunswick taken now, Sanders, Murphy, Fort, do they not value bringing through their own? They seem to target players in leadership positions at other clubs too, which is quite concerning for the whole divide of the competition, big clubs get bigger, smaller clubs struggle.
Box Hill would be shattered, losing your captain for more money to another club is gut wrenching
And Grenville back, extraordinary another club could have him, but understandable given how close to rock bottom Moorabbin have hit

Wouldn't mind seeing the VSDCA audit Brunswick here, recruiting big name after big name just mounts even more pressure on a playing group that has not made a final in god knows how long, silly move and a waste of money.

Big couple of days

The article in the local rag paints a very interesting story.
Murphy is known to build a team around bowlers and his view would be to try and squeeze 150-200 runs from the batters and the bowlers will get the job done.
Problem is not with the players they have in their team as they were 3rd in runs scored and wickets taken through the season.
My suggestion is the problem lies with the fact their sphincter gets a bit tight come the pointy end of the season and they are hiding behind this by appointing Pearson.
Brun$$$$$$wick will be close to the $100k mark in player payments now. Murphy, Pearson, Mayne, Mckay, Fort, Sanders and the potential overseas pom.
20 points in the player cap seems like it might have the big boys at the wicks suggesting to increase the points limit at the Subbies AGM.

As for Box Hill, I don't think it will be the only SENIOR KEY departure from City Oval.

His list of clubs does read like the cricket version of "I've been everywhere". Surprised he knows what hat to put on each Saturday afternoon.
I did a quick MyCricket search and it returned about 12 clubs (but Beaumaris wasn't one of them, and they were the one I remembered)
Dowling at Bentleigh has had a few as well, including Oakleigh.

The article in the local rag paints a very interesting story.
Murphy is known to build a team around bowlers and his view would be to try and squeeze 150-200 runs from the batters and the bowlers will get the job done.
Problem is not with the players they have in their team as they were 3rd in runs scored and wickets taken through the season.
My suggestion is the problem lies with the fact their sphincter gets a bit tight come the pointy end of the season and they are hiding behind this by appointing Pearson.
Brun$$$$$$wick will be close to the $100k mark in player payments now. Murphy, Pearson, Mayne, Mckay, Fort, Sanders and the potential overseas pom.
20 points in the player cap seems like it might have the big boys at the wicks suggesting to increase the points limit at the Subbies AGM.

As for Box Hill, I don't think it will be the only SENIOR KEY departure from City Oval.

Agree 100%. That approach has worked for Oakleigh for years but maybe they just have a slightly looser sphincter. Subbies have to look at what the hell is going on at Brunswick. Would love to see the player payments in their accounts!
Isn't Gloury a potential departure? They will be dead and buried if so. They will then rely on Lampard who is about as mentally strong as Erasmus. The young kid who bats 3 (May?) would be off to Premier you would have thought too.

Your posts suggest the jury is out on whether the points system is working as intended. It is absolutely essential that in a competition that does not have a promotion and relegation system it works in a manner that does not allow the wealthy clubs to cannibalise the weaker clubs. I know there is the issue of restriction of trade to be considered, but in the interest of the well-being of our game, it may be necessary for the competition to seek legal advice on what steps it can take to even out the growing gap between the strongest and weakest clubs without going so far as to act outside the law.

Agree 100%. That approach has worked for Oakleigh for years but maybe they just have a slightly looser sphincter. Subbies have to look at what the hell is going on at Brunswick. Would love to see the player payments in their accounts!
Isn't Gloury a potential departure? They will be dead and buried if so. They will then rely on Lampard who is about as mentally strong as Erasmus. The young kid who bats 3 (May?) would be off to Premier you would have thought too.

I have heard the big 3 including the coach has gone
May you would think would head off to premier but their young keeper Eccles is a outstanding prospect who wouldn't be far away from landing at a premier club as well.

May you would think would head off to premier but their young keeper Eccles is a outstanding prospect who wouldn't be far away from landing at a premier club as well.
Well that's that then. At least they'll have some money to throw around!

Poor Ben Wood, he might have to go back to Roxbur... oh wait, they turned to shit as well :)

Feel like Cashwick are a bit misguided chasing Pearson. They’ve gone for an all out pace attack which doesn’t work in subbies. Pace OFF the ball wins subbies games. Particularly in finals. Although they wouldn’t be aware of that yet I suppose. Should have chased a decent spinner. More cash down the drain for them. They’d be better off spending their money on a financial advisor.

Last edited:
Back