Sunglasses

Wayne Shorne

Hi, Sorry to start a new thread but I need advise on which sunglasses are the best for fielding. I don't wear them because I find they give me blurred vision, and can't focus on the ball properly. But I need to start wearing them because it's just to damn bright out there all day without them. I don't mind expensive ones, but they need to feel as close to the naked eye as possible.
What is the best? Thanks

Hi, Sorry to start a new thread but I need advise on which sunglasses are the best for fielding. I don't wear them because I find they give me blurred vision, and can't focus on the ball properly. But I need to start wearing them because it's just to damn bright out there all day without them. I don't mind expensive ones, but they need to feel as close to the naked eye as possible.
What is the best? Thanks

I tend to go for the cheapest possible sunglasses, mainly because otherwise I would be too scared of scratching them to properly dive around in the field etc.

That's the problem with those reflective sports sunnies, the scratches on the coating are so noticeable.

Been meaning to try this site that I've heard about one day http://www.thesunglassfix.com.au/ They seen to have a multitude of replacement lenses available for just about every brand of sunglasses out there for only $30-50 aus.

After a fair bit of research I went to the major Oakley outlet in Melbourne. Took a couple of demo sets out to the nearby oval and found one of the lenses are unbelievable!. It's just like fielding with real vision on a cloudy day, no blurred- cheap sunglasses look! They don't even smudge. Cost me nearly $300, but no more squinting and no more miss fields, well due to the glasses anyway haha

The short answer is that Oakley are absolutely the best on the market both anecdotally and via the research.

The longer answer is that eyes are complex and so there are always compromises no matter how good the eye wear. The question you have to ask is if the reduction in glare is worth the distortion in image (yes even Oakley distort your visual, there is no conclusive answer if this is disruptive to performance).

I wrote more about it here: http://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-sunglasses

Jesus $300 dollars! Mate, you need to make sure you're fielding in the least active area of the picth and get your captain to move you around in accordance with the batsmans strokes!
I'm with SLA on this, I like fielding and I put in full commitment to stop that ball and sun glasses invariably come flying off. Cheap ones as you say, distort the vision, but there's some in between quality versions that are acceptable. Do you have 'Decathlon' out there in Australia, they have some acceptble versions. Might be worth looking into? The other thing with a $300 dollar pair of glasses is that even if you don't smash them up or damage them in the field, there's a good chance you'll leave them somewhere!

Jesus $300 dollars! Mate, you need to make sure you're fielding in the least active area of the picth and get your captain to move you around in accordance with the batsmans strokes!
I'm with SLA on this, I like fielding and I put in full commitment to stop that ball and sun glasses invariably come flying off. Cheap ones as you say, distort the vision, but there's some in between quality versions that are acceptable. Do you have 'Decathlon' out there in Australia, they have some acceptble versions. Might be worth looking into? The other thing with a $300 dollar pair of glasses is that even if you don't smash them up or damage them in the field, there's a good chance you'll leave them somewhere!

Yeah decathlon is great, I bought a decent enough pair from there a week ago for £3. £3!. If they distort the vision I have to say I haven't noticed yet.

My experience of buying most sports equipment is that for twice the money you get a 10% improvement in actual, noticeable quality. Sometimes you don't even get that.

Thing is, if you say that Oakley is even just 10% better, is that the difference between a catch and a drop? If you take more catches wearing expensive glasses compared to cheap ones (and no one knows for sure if that is true) then perhaps it's worth it?

I paid $140 for a pair of Oakleys that usually were $200, when you live somewhere with as much sun as Australia and often wear them for hours a day a decent pair are worth every cent.

In saying that a lot of people pay waay too much for brand names.

I paid $140 for a pair of Oakleys that usually were $200, when you live somewhere with as much sun as Australia and often wear them for hours a day a decent pair are worth every cent.

In saying that a lot of people pay waay too much for brand names.

Can you honestly tell the difference between them and a no-name brand?

Can you honestly tell the difference between them and a no-name brand?
Umm yes, especially compared to ones that are about 5 bucks, plus the frames are far more comfortable. When they are something that you wear so much down here I don't think it's silly to spend a little bit of money on them.

David you take your club cricket far too seriously if you're paying $300 for a pair of glasses! Pitch vision must be doing very well!

We are doing well, but I don't wear any sunglasses. I wore some Sunwise as protection and to reduce glare off the pitch as keeper, but I went a whole season without needed them for glare-reduction so I stopped.

I'm talking purely from an advice standpoint. What is quantitatively the best solution? If you want glasses then Oakley are the best. There is no question.

What is in question is if the improvement in quality is worth the large jump in price. That's an assessment that has to be made by the individual based on their needs and budget! I would never criticise anyone for wearing cheap glasses, or expensive ones.

We are doing well, but I don't wear any sunglasses. I wore some Sunwise as protection and to reduce glare off the pitch as keeper, but I went a whole season without needed them for glare-reduction so I stopped.

I'm talking purely from an advice standpoint. What is quantitatively the best solution? If you want glasses then Oakley are the best. There is no question.

What is in question is if the improvement in quality is worth the large jump in price. That's an assessment that has to be made by the individual based on their needs and budget! I would never criticise anyone for wearing cheap glasses, or expensive ones.

I listen to your podcast every week David, keep up the good work. What do you make of this political coup at the ICC?

Been meaning to try this site that I've heard about one day http://www.thesunglassfix.com.au/ They seen to have a multitude of replacement lenses available for just about every brand of sunglasses out there for only $30-50 aus.

Just got a replacement pair of lenses of this mob and put them in, being polarised I reckon they are even are better than the originals only for $48 dollars. Definitely recommended.

Back