Super Eights - Australia vs Sri Lanka

Re: Super Eights - Australia vs Sri Lanka

Ponting wins it with a big 6

Australia 232-3

Ponting and Symonds took that one home comfortably. Australia could have successfully chased 300 today if they'd have needed to.

Sri Lanka took this game far too seriously in my opinion.

So why weren't Vaas and Chuck playing?

Oh yes, they've played one game in a week, must have been very tiring work.

aussieman;154063 said:
Sri Lanka took this game far too seriously in my opinion.

So why weren't Vaas and Chuck playing?

Oh yes, they've played one game in a week, must have been very tiring work.

It would seem as though Sri Lanka are reluctant to use Vaas and Murali in a more or less meaningless game. Both teams have already qualified for the semis, so this game meant very little, and if Vaas and Murali have any tricks up their sleeves, presumably Sri Lanka want to save it for a potential knockout clash against Australia in the semifinals or the final.

I'm not sure what that really accomplishes here. The only top Sri Lankan bowler that Australia have never faced in an ODI is Lasith Malinga, and he was already missing out with an injury. At any rate, while Vaas and Murali are otherwise automatic selections, it seems to be a fairly frequent policy of Sri Lanka's to rest them in meaningless games.

And please don't call him Chuck. I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore if you keep doing that.

Stamislav;154101 said:
It would seem as though Sri Lanka are reluctant to use Vaas and Murali in a more or less meaningless game. Both teams have already qualified for the semis, so this game meant very little, and if Vaas and Murali have any tricks up their sleeves, presumably Sri Lanka want to save it for a potential knockout clash against Australia in the semifinals or the final.

I agree. I think the plan was to not let the Aussie batsmen get too acquainted with the best bowlers in a meaningless match. That said, I personally think one should always be aggressive in these matches, even the so called meaningless ones - especially against opposition like Australia.

Anyway we'll see if the ploy makes a difference at all if these two meet in the finals.

Back