Super Eights - Ireland v England

Re: Super Eights - Ireland v England

172-4 after 40

Decent bowling from Ireland, but they've left England with too many waickets, so I expect a lot of runs in the final 10 overs.

OVER 41: McCallan: 1-1-0-1-0-0
175-4: McCallan completes his allocation with figures of 10-0-38-1, including the wicket of KP. He found just the right pace to bowl on this wicket during an excellent spell.

WICKET!!

OVER 44: Johnston: 1-1-W-0-0-1
195-5: Wicket! Flintoff departs, playing onto his stumps attempting to cut a ball that was too close to his body. A shame as the stage was set for some Flintoff fireworks, instead Paul Nixon strides to the crease......

Lee Hickman points out: 'It is debated whether they (America) landed on the moon in '69 or whether it was in area 51 over here in the States. But their baseballs stay white!'

OVER 45: Botha: 1-1-1-1-1-1
201-5: Collingwood pushes straight to complete his 15th ODI half-century from 65 balls, again he has helped get England out of a hole. A single from every delivery moves England past 200.

Andy in Iowa says: 'We may have put a man on the moon, but I wouldn't count on us for making a better white ball. Baseballs are replaced by the dozen per game.'

OVER 47: Botha: 1lb-6-1-1-1-1
226-5: Collingwood hits the first maximum of the England innings with a rank slog that comfortably clears the midwicket fence. Nixon is almost caught spectacularly by a diving Porterfield on the long-on boundary - but he just couldn't get his hands under it. 11 from the over.

OVER 48: Johnston: 1-4-1-1-6-0
239-5: Collingwood finds the square-leg boundary with a sweep, and then slogs another for six over midwicket, only just reached this time. 13 from the over.

Will we see 100 from Collingwood?

OVER 49: Botha: 6-W-2-1-1-6
255-6: Nixon clears the boundary with a violent swipe over long-on but then holes out from the very next delivery, Morgan holding on to a difficult swirling catch that came down with ice on it. Ravinder Bopara joins Collingwood with 10 balls remaining. Collingwood finishes off with another maximum, again launched over the leg-side to take him within 12 of a century. 16 from the over.

WICKET
Collingwood was oh so close!!

OVER 50: Johnston: 1-2-0-2-2-4
266-7: Wicket! Collingwood is run out for 90 attempting to run a quick single - White did the fielding at midwicket and Johnston broke the stumps before Collingwood could scamper home. Bopara finishes things off by hitting a full toss back down the ground for four. 11 from the over means England finish with 266-7.

Boy, you sure miss a lot when step away for a short while :)

England finishes on 266/7 in their allotted 50, a defendable total non the less. Hats of to Ireland for really putting the pressure on and making an interesting match of it. Now its time for the Irish batsmen to do their thing. This is not a difficult target to reach, if they keep their cool and nerves they may just pull off another upset. However we'll see.

Diamond Joe Quimby;149507 said:
Thanks for picking up the slack marlyminks!!

No prob, I had to slip away myself as you may have noticed :)

Collingwood finishes with a fine knock of 90, good for him and me as he's the player I predicted for the most runs scored :) Lets see if this holds up

I think 267 is very doable. I think the key is which Freddy will show up to bowl? Remember Ireland got early wickets. If they jump out to some nice totals and partnerships in the begining, they may reach it no problem.

POW WICKET!!!

OVER 1: Anderson: 0-0-0-3-3+-W-0
6-1: James Anderson takes the new ball for England with Irish opener William Porterfield facing up to the first ball. Porterfield gets off-the-mark with three clipped into the leg-side. Wicket! Jeremy Bray - who scored a century against Zimbabwe during the group stage - is caught low at backward point. He flung the bat and the resulting square drive ended in Bopara's hands - a bit reckless. Eoin Morgan is the new batsman.

OVER 2: Mahmood: 0-0-0-0-0-0
6-0: Mahmood is in the side for his pace, let's see what he can do against batsmen who won't have faced many 90mph firethrowers in their careers. He is on the spot straight away with a maiden.
OVER 3: Anderson: 0-0-1-+-2-0-0
10-1: Not much swing for Anderson with the new ball, certainly nothing like Ireland's opening bowlers enjoyed during the morning. Keep your FEEDBACK coming, anyone think Ireland are can pull this run chase off?

WICKET!!

Oh my, another quick wicket, things do not look good for the Irish!!

OVER 4: Mahmood: 0-0-1-0-0-0
11-2: Wicket! Great work from Mahmood to run out Morgan - he swooped on the ball in his follow through as Ireland went for a quick single and flicked it onto the stumps before Morgan could make his ground at the strikers end. Niall O'Brien, another left-hander, comes in at number four.

OVER 5: Anderson: 0-0-0-0-0-0
11-2: Ireland's top order have found it tough going so far as Anderson sends down another maiden.
OVER 6: Mahmood: 1-3-2nb-0-3-0-0
20-2: Doesn't look anything wrong with Vaughan's knee/hamstring as he performs his second sliding stop of the innings to save a run, perhaps he will have a bowl later? Monty also impressing in the field with a diving stop that also saves a run as Mahmood sprays it around.

Back