Suspensions, Spirit Of Cricket & Umpires

Is this a record year for suspensions?
Is is players misbehaving or umpires not controlling the game?
Have we got any good umpires?

Is this a record year for suspensions?

I don't know, the website lists 6 or 7 relating to this season, is that a record?

Is is players misbehaving or umpires not controlling the game?

Under the Laws, it's up to the Captains to control player behaviour, not the umpires. Is it players misbehaving, or are Captains just not doing their job? Do the Captains know their responsibilities? If not, what are their clubs doing about it?

Have we got any good umpires?

Have we got any good umpires? Yes.
Have we got any good Captains? Yes.
Have the reports been justified? Obviously, yes, looking at the length of suspensions.

The issue with what you're reading on the website is, you don't know when they were actually reported/suspended. So you don't know how long their suspensions were actually for. But most of them seem to be quite old.

I guess the alarming issue is, what people were being suspended for. Abuse, Violence, etc. Pretty ordinary displays by some. Especially looking at the lengths of suspensions.

I think it is very unfair to blame captains in all circumstances. Sometimes blokes "snap" or its a once off abuse due to a decision. How on earth is a captain responsible for that?

The issue with what you're reading on the website is, you don't know when they were actually reported/suspended. So you don't know how long their suspensions were actually for. But most of them seem to be quite old.

I guess the alarming issue is, what people were being suspended for. Abuse, Violence, etc. Pretty ordinary displays by some. Especially looking at the lengths of suspensions.

I think it is very unfair to blame captains in all circumstances. Sometimes blokes "snap" or its a once off abuse due to a decision. How on earth is a captain responsible for that?

Yes, the length of suspensions is a concern, indicating some highly unacceptable behaviour.

And what you say about captains having no control over the sudden snap is, of course, correct. Technically, when this happens, the captain is supposed to be reported too, but I've never known an umpire to do it. It's different, however,when there are a series of minor incidents, the Captain ignores a warning to tell his players to stop, and then there's a major incident. Then the captain is quite rightly reported too.

However, the OP implied that serious player misbehaviour is somehow the fault of the umpires not controlling the game, and this is just plain wrong on two counts. (1) It displays ignorance of the Laws, which say that controlling player behaviour is the job of the Captain, not the umpires (2) Player misbehaviour, ultimately, is the fault of the player and nobody else.

Might be a few more after a bit of chesting, manhandling and swearing during the Thommo and Lower Money Shield game Saturday.

Chesting and manhandling is a no no, but for the love of god. Swearing? Are we not adults? Men? Are we all so sensitive that we cannot handle a bit of swearing?

Anyone know what actually happened?

Back