Swann Retires

A premature decision. Like I said in the other thread, until it's in the history books, it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the 15 Ashes series.

I'm with Brian Lara on this, be genuinely surprising if he isn't just taking a break for a while. Good bowler who England will really struggle to replace (apologies to Panesar fans).

by9n.jpg

I can totally see him pulling an Afridi and playing another series in the future, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. He'll be missed.

I also thought he had a couple of years left in him, but a fair few England fans had said that his retirement was on the cards. It's the timing of the announcement that makes it look particularly bad -- my immediate reaction was a fear that he was the second player on this tour to be affected by a stress-related illness. That, then a fear that it was a tantrum for losing the series, or that there were severe backroom issues. We can only wonder what would have happened if the Aussies had sealed the Ashes in Melbourne instead of Perth, or if the series had (somehow) gone all the way to Sydney. As misleading as the timing may suggest, however, his reasons and intentions do seem genuine and selfless.

Maybe Flower said that Monty was in for him in Melbourne and he didn't want to be seen being dropped at this stage of his career.

It's his elbow, isn't it. He hasn't been the same bowler since it got injured and if its not going to get any better then he doesn't really have any other option. He hasn't looked like a test class spinner for 18 months now if we're honest.

Maybe Flower said that Monty was in for him in Melbourne and he didn't want to be seen being dropped at this stage of his career.
I can't remember the source, but my understanding was that Swann told Cook and Flower long before the Boxing Day Test squad was being considered.

Edit: He told the team on Saturday (the 21st). No evidence to suggest that any decisions on the Boxing Day team have been made.

He's had a press conference officially announcing his retirement, I'd say it's pretty final.

How bad would it look if he decided to startplaying again in the next 12 months or so? It would look like he'd just run away from a difficult tour. I think it's final too. He's got kids now and probably wants to see them occasionally.

Yeah exactly what I said elsewhere - they've all got kids and wives and they've all had a good crack at it, had the adulation and now they've not got the stomach for it anymore. Can't say I blame them though. A years time and this team will be gone with the exception of Cook and the new kids, Bell might be in there still, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes too, have to see how he does in this summer, but if he doesn't come up with the goods I reckon he'll pack his own bags and go.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake (haven't been reading here for a while), but did write this just after he retired. http://anythingcricket.com/no-swannsong/

I disagree with your assessment, I think many lesser cricketers with the kind of injury he had would have retired last winter. Ultimately he gave England everything he had to give, but enough was enough and after three completely ineffective tests he knew he was no longer in a position to help the team and took the gutsy and remarkably selfless decision to remove himself from the equation so they could move on.

I disagree with your assessment, I think many lesser cricketers with the kind of injury he had would have retired last winter. Ultimately he gave England everything he had to give, but enough was enough and after three completely ineffective tests he knew he was no longer in a position to help the team and took the gutsy and remarkably selfless decision to remove himself from the equation so they could move on.

WOW, you really are laking is objectivity.

laking? Is that some aussie vernacular I am unfamiliar with?

Nope, just can not spell the word is lacking.
You seem to find the greatness in a bloke that has never been the best of personalities. We all like our hero's but be objective, i always liked Ricky Ponting as a player but he was somewhat childish when things did not go his way, the Steve Waugh was one of my all time hates, could not stand the guy but i can still admit he was a very great player.
You seem to think Swann bled it all out for the red white and blue, but don't fool yourself he did it for his million dollar pay packet.

Back