Swing

I

imported_Bear

Swing

Last season I bowled beautifully getting the ball to go both ways taking 70 wickets at 8.32 and a S/R of 23.

This season ive been straight up and down with the odd one nipping in off the seam and have only taken 23 wickets at 32.01 with a S/R of 48

Cant think of how it has happened as technique hasnt changed as I was swinging a ball miles in nets in March

Re: Swing

The first thing to ask is 'Am I using similar balls to last year?'. May sound silly but I've known leagues to change their match ball supplier and all of sudden the swing disappears.

It may also be down to effects outside your control such as the weather or pitch conditions.

Now with that out of the way we need to address whether there has been any changes in how you bowl the ball. If you're certain that your technique is the same, I'd suggest looking at how you grip the ball. Make sure that you have a loose grip with the thumb resting on the seam at the bottom of the ball. Have your two fingers applying a bit of pressure to the top of ball and check that you're happy with how it feels.

See how that goes on. If you're still feeling that the swing has left you, report back and we'll look a little more comprehensively at what may be going wrong.

Almost_Austwick mentioned the weather, ive not played this season on a wicket which doesnt make the ball atleast damp. Im a spinner by trade but ive been bowling a lot of Left Arm Medium because its just too damp and cold for me to firstly spin the ball and secondly, for the wickets to take to spin.

Ive been out about 10 times to a ball which has started on off and seamed in to leg, its making ok bowlers look like Glenn Mcgrath at times.

Hopefully like last year, my season will be next year on good crumbling wickets :p

The shine on the ball? Make sure one side is rough and one very shiny. Remember to cock your wrist so when you bowl the ball comes straight down the with the seam straight so the shiny side and the rough side can actually make a difference.
Hope this helps :)

Back