Switching To Leg Spin?

Pete Sutcliffe

Instead of practising off spin i switched to leg breaks for one session-and found i was much better at it. I beat the bat, induced edges and stumpings. I was genuinely spinning the ball, unlike attempting finger spin. Not a good action, can't keep my head still when delivering. Worth persevering with?

Yeah I'm with Richard here, there will be a point where you have to make a decision. Obviously I'm biased, but if you see yourself as being an outsider, a bit of a renagade, a non conformist? Then, Wrist spin is probably the thing for you, the fact that it's going to take you years to learn the basics will appeal to you, rather than put you off, but, if those kind of descriptions leave you cold, you're probably better off Finger Spinning.

Instead of practising off spin i switched to leg breaks for one session-and found i was much better at it. I beat the bat, induced edges and stumpings. I was genuinely spinning the ball, unlike attempting finger spin. Not a good action, can't keep my head still when delivering. Worth persevering with?

generally this is how it begins, you have a go and somehow it seems to work satisfactorily, enough to make you think about taking it up; but this is something of a false dawn. this is the point where you have to make a big commitment. No half hearters ever made it as a leggie because now the hard work begins. the more you bowl it the more you'll realise you have to do. you'll have good days and very bad days. At the moment you're probably not thinking about it very much and just bowling on instinct, then it will go wrong and you'll have to think about what you're doing, sometimes this will help and other times it will hinder, but ultimately it will make you a better bowler. Through all the practise and thinking about leg spin you'll gain an insight into how to bowl it properly but then you'll find your body is some way behind your brain and suddenly what you're doing isn't good enough anymore. you'll muck about with variations, you'll bowl too short, you'll bowl too full, you'll get the yips, the ball will cease to spin or even start spinning the wrong way! (googly syndrome) and you'll wrack your brains to work it all out. Back to the drawing board. you'll probably muck around with your action and your run up endlessly then, probably 2 or more years down the line, through many trials and tribulations you'll think its all going swimmingly. then it may abandon you again. 2 more years pass. you'll go through some of these problems again no doubt but they will lessen greatly and you'll always be gaining a greater insight into your art, the body starts to catch up. you'll understand about wrist position, you'll be thinking about driving your hips though the crease and keeping a nice tall action whilst still keeping your arm low enough to work around the ball, and hopefully you'll have coupled that instinct and confidence you had in the beginning with all the skills you've picked up from being dedicated to it for so long. Then you can think about real tactics and variations. top tip, get your action perfect, so then you can be confident and not think about it all. prepare for a long road! but all in all probably the most satisfying destination in cricket.

generally this is how it begins, you have a go and somehow it seems to work satisfactorily, enough to make you think about taking it up; but this is something of a false dawn. this is the point where you have to make a big commitment. No half hearters ever made it as a leggie because now the hard work begins. the more you bowl it the more you'll realise you have to do. you'll have good days and very bad days. At the moment you're probably not thinking about it very much and just bowling on instinct, then it will go wrong and you'll have to think about what you're doing, sometimes this will help and other times it will hinder, but ultimately it will make you a better bowler. Through all the practise and thinking about leg spin you'll gain an insight into how to bowl it properly but then you'll find your body is some way behind your brain and suddenly what you're doing isn't good enough anymore. you'll muck about with variations, you'll bowl too short, you'll bowl too full, you'll get the yips, the ball will cease to spin or even start spinning the wrong way! (googly syndrome) and you'll wrack your brains to work it all out. Back to the drawing board. you'll probably muck around with your action and your run up endlessly then, probably 2 or more years down the line, through many trials and tribulations you'll think its all going swimmingly. then it may abandon you again. 2 more years pass. you'll go through some of these problems again no doubt but they will lessen greatly and you'll always be gaining a greater insight into your art, the body starts to catch up. you'll understand about wrist position, you'll be thinking about driving your hips though the crease and keeping a nice tall action whilst still keeping your arm low enough to work around the ball, and hopefully you'll have coupled that instinct and confidence you had in the beginning with all the skills you've picked up from being dedicated to it for so long. Then you can think about real tactics and variations. top tip, get your action perfect, so then you can be confident and not think about it all. prepare for a long road! but all in all probably the most satisfying destination in cricket.

Well said Golden Arm! what did you think of my shorter version?

Leg Spin Disorder

A disorder that has elements of a mania and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Sufferers have an overwhelming desire to make the batsman look stupid. They have trouble defining cricket from real life. Nothing pervades their thoughts as much as the dilemma of how to put the most possible spin on a cricket ball. All round objects must be picked up and spun. Sufferers feel an overwhelming need to bowl and refraining from it causes mental anguish similar to that of a drug dependence.
Sufferers can bowl alone for hours in a seemingly monotonous task with ever increasing determination until dark or exhaustion overcomes them.They often come away dissatisfied and already planning the next session. They seem to prefer this solo bowling.
The most severe cases can involve googly syndrome. A mania inside a mania where sufferers become so obsessed with one aspect of leg spin bowling they fail to be able to perform any other leg spin deliveries and becomes seriously frustrated.

Recognising the Disorder

- A distant stare whilst making strange contorted movements with the wrist
- Constant acting out of the bowling action, no matter the environment
- Spinning any object that comes to hand

Treatment

There is no known cure. The only relief is a perfectly flighted leg break that drifts a little before biting sharply, turning and clipping the off bail. Unfortunatelythe relief is only temporary and may result in increasing obsession.
The disorder is worsened by poor and unsympathetic captaincy which can result in a feeling of isolation and for them to seek comfort in their fellow sufferers.

Leg Spin Disorder

A disorder that has elements of a mania and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Sufferers have an overwhelming desire to make the batsman look stupid. They have trouble defining cricket from real life. Nothing pervades their thoughts as much as the dilemma of how to put the most possible spin on a cricket ball. All round objects must be picked up and spun. Sufferers feel an overwhelming need to bowl and refraining from it causes mental anguish similar to that of a drug dependence.
Sufferers can bowl alone for hours in a seemingly monotonous task with ever increasing determination until dark or exhaustion overcomes them.They often come away dissatisfied and already planning the next session. They seem to prefer this solo bowling.
The most severe cases can involve googly syndrome. A mania inside a mania where sufferers become so obsessed with one aspect of leg spin bowling they fail to be able to perform any other leg spin deliveries and becomes seriously frustrated.

Recognising the Disorder

- A distant stare whilst making strange contorted movements with the wrist
- Constant acting out of the bowling action, no matter the environment
- Spinning any object that comes to hand

Treatment

There is no known cure. The only relief is a perfectly flighted leg break that drifts a little before biting sharply, turning and clipping the off bail. Unfortunatelythe relief is only temporary and may result in increasing obsession.
The disorder is worsened by poor and unsympathetic captaincy which can result in a feeling of isolation and for them to seek comfort in their fellow sufferers.

Brilliant, and terrifyingly accurate.

Back