Talking To Yourself

anthony barnard

When batting do you ever talk over and over in your head?

I've recently just kept think to watch the ball over and over and I think its starting to make a difference its just switching off between balls, can you suggest anything for that break of a second or two you get between deliveries?

I usually sing a song in my head between deliveries, I do the same thing when I am bowling, and even when I am fielding sometimes. I don't do any "thinking" until the bowler is at the start of his run up when batting, or when bowling I do it when I am at the start of my run up. It definitely helps concentration, trying to stay focussed the entire time you are playing just wears your mind out and you end up losing focus instead.

I talk to myself so much when I'm batting, whether it be a "wow, that got up a bit", telling myself to get forward, or as Jim does I occasionally start singing something. Helps me focus. Same in the field, and when bowling. Talking to yourself, for me, is an important part of sport. It keeps you focussed, reinforces the thought, and keeps you sharp. It's something I've done through life, not just in sport, and it works for me!

I tried it in my match today after seeing it work for my brother last night getting his first 25*

It all seemed to be going well i was in for a few overs just getting set than bowled for a duck after wides down off and leg side from the two previous balls, but its the longest I've been at the crease this year so something was right, with a cup game tomorrow and a T20 friendly on Thursday night I'm hoping for runs in one of those games! (At least the bowling is going alright this year...)

I talk myself loads whilst batting - if I have played and missed then I'll blame it on something else like saying to myself 'That moved away a bit' even if that may not strictly be true. After the match I would then analyse what I was doing wrong when I played and missed at that ball.

If I have just hit the ball for four, I like to calm myself down by saying something like 'I didn't quite get across to that one' or 'That wasn't the right shot'. This might not be what all the sports psychologists suggest, but it stops me getting over-excited or ahead of myself

I did for a while. It did help but after doing it for so long, I now find that I do exactly what I used to say to myself without having to talk.

When you are facing up you should be talking to yourself about watching the ball come out of the bowlers hand. Over and over and over again, while making sure you watch the ball in the bowlers hand as he enters his delivery stride and most importantly as it leaves his hand.
Repeat this every time from when the bowler turns to begin his run up. If you realise you aren't doing it you have lost concentration and you won't be around for much longer if you aren't concentrating every ball.
In between balls survey the field and make sure you look at where every fieldsman is on the ground. Doing this stops you thinking about other things and will imprint the fielders positions in your mind. This will help you with your judgement about where to hit the ball and will also help with your judgement of when a run is possible.
This is one of the most important lessons you need to learn about batting. Unless you concentrate and focus on EVERY ball you face it doesn't matter how good your shots are because you won't be around long enough to use them. You will be just another star performer in the nets, who can't fulfill their potential in games.

Back