Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

Cameron White is a decent ODI batsmen who is still only 26, you could well be a pivotal player for us in next years world cup. I think mentioning him for a possible test side inclusion is a bit strong.

But as I said, some big scores in the shield fixtures before the NZ tour will keep the selectors interested.

I agree completely there.

Just doesn't seem like any other options in a way. If North doesn't perform in the first Test should he play, he won't play the rest of the series.

As I mentioned earlier, White wont be playing any Shield games before the NZ tests, he is stuck with the ODI team, his next Shield match will be the final if he doesnt make the test squad

But the stupid selectors will probably give Hughes a shot if they dump North, if NZ could somehow lure Bond out of retirement and to put off the IPL then he wouldnt score a run :D

If I had to pick a side for the first Test in NZ I'd look like:

1. Shane Watson
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Cameron White
7. Brad Haddin
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. Doug Bollinger

12. Peter Siddle

13. Usman Khawaja
14. Phil Hughes
15. Steve Smith

I doubt Hilfenhaus will be going after he had another setback with his injury and is out for atleast another month, which wouldnt give him long to get back to training, full fitness and play a game or 2 all before the first test

Boris;385240 said:
That was posted by Ljp back in 2006, I found after I did a search. Plus I'm sure he doesn't think that to quite the extent anymore either.

Things have come so far since then. Really interesting to go back and read some old threads, especially on the up and comers that are around today.

:D

Nice find Boris. White was terrible at the time though but I don't think that now. He's a very handy one-day player and probably not far off a test berth provided he can keep his form up for Victoria in the Sheffield Shield.

give this bloke a go.

Unbeatable: NSW's Smith scores back-to-back centuries with ease

JAMIE PANDARAM
January 21, 2010

STEVEN SMITH has scored 305 runs off 196 balls without being dismissed in his past two grade innings.

In his latest batting assault, the 20-year-old smashed 134 not out for Sutherland against Mosman last Saturday to guide his side to a comprehensive victory.

Sutherland were chasing 201 in round seven of the first grade limited-overs competition and thanks to Smith's whirlwind innings, they achieved the target in the 22nd over to secure two bonus points.

Smith's innings lasted just 67 balls and he hit 15 fours and nine sixes. He and captain Matt Hughston put on an unbroken 197 for the second wicket in 82 minutes.

Towards the end, Smith hit a no-ball for four and the next ball was a free hit. He took guard batting left-handed against a left-arm spinner who darted the ball in to his pads and he smashed it over backward square leg for six.

It completed a stellar all-round game in which Smith took 2-45 with the ball. The previous week in a two-day game against Hawkesbury, Smith blasted 171 not out from 129 balls. He has belted 15 sixes and 34 fours in the past fortnight.

Unbeatable: NSW's Smith scores back-to-back centuries with ease

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Bollinger

... Pretty predictable/conservative, but if Hilfenhaus isn't going to be right he can't be considered. If so, maybe Siddle would be in doubt (although he should go alright over there. They all should!).

Of course we should keep an eye on the likes of Smith, but really a bowling average of 75 in any form of cricket is beyond bad, so he needs to get that down a bit before he can be considered to bowl at the next level.

White is a good suggestion, and there are others. North deserves one more series ... just. I don't see the point in taking him and picking him only for the 1st Test, so really he should bat his way back into form by the time it's through. Not the way it should be done, but it seems to be the current trend if you're who they want.

I didn't realise Hilf was out for another month tbh. Siddle to keep his spot then.

Ljp86;385306 said:
:D

Nice find Boris. White was terrible at the time though but I don't think that now. He's a very handy one-day player and probably not far off a test berth provided he can keep his form up for Victoria in the Sheffield Shield.

Well at the time he was averaging 12 for Australia after 6 innings, so it was understandable :D

I would much prefer him bowling though. With Clarke's back, and Katich's unwillingness to bowl, plus injury himself, a part time spinner I think would be a much required asset for a full functioning team with endless weapons to break that unbreakable partnership. How has his bowling been lately?

He has hardly bowled, but when he last did before Christmas - no good. Definitely has to bowl some more if he is to be considered as a back-up. The all-rounder tag has probably gone for now. It would seem his bowling's never going to get him a game, but there's still time for it to improve to a standard we can accept.

Why is Katich so reluctant? I don't like the sound of that at all. When asked by the press after getting 3-for in the recent Test, he said he got a wonderful surprise when Ponting handed him the ball. It bemuses me.

... and whatever happened to North's bowling credentials?

Sober Symonds;385392 said:
He has hardly bowled, but when he last did before Christmas - no good. Definitely has to bowl some more if he is to be considered as a back-up. The all-rounder tag has probably gone for now. It would seem his bowling's never going to get him a game, but there's still time for it to improve to a standard we can accept.

Why is Katich so reluctant? I don't like the sound of that at all. When asked by the press after getting 3-for in the recent Test, he said he got a wonderful surprise when Ponting handed him the ball. It bemuses me.

... and whatever happened to North's bowling credentials?

White has gone from being the next big leg spin guru in the world, to a leg spinner that bats a bit, to a batting all rounder, to now a pure batsman. Strange progression.

I think Katich is worried about injuries or something of that kind. I wouldn't know the exacts.

I have said it before, I never think North was planing on bowling in the first place. He was selected as Symonds' replacement, so perhaps Ponting thought of him as an actual bowler, him never having captained without an all rounder - or for that reason been in a team without an all rounder altogether. wouldn't surprise me if Ponting asked for someone who could bowl, but discovered that his bowling wouldn't be enough in the end and thrown the ball to others. I think North was one big selection blunder from the start, that just happened to have worked until now.

The only reason North got selected was he was bowling himself alot for WA as they usually didnt play a proper spinner at home

So, is the case for White suddenly a lot stronger? I won't insist just yet, as I'm a strong believer that the different forms of the game are too distantly related to mean much.

Still, his confidence at the top level will grow and that can make all the difference.

Well given the fact he cant play any more first class matches before the NZ tour and he has played so few due to being away with Aussie ODI side at the start of the summer they can only go off ODI form for him and looking alot better against International opposition wont hurt his case thats for sure

Should definately replace North, not only a superior batsman but North costs the team too many runs in the slips

White can still be quite ungainly when the ball is moving around, North is still a better bet then White at the 5 day game.

Still, this Australian ODI team is building nicely into a formidable outfit.

Siddle was bowling with great heat tonight, as was Bollinger, impressive.

Back