Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

I can see a new face making a way into the team in this series against the Windies. With these injuries and no doubtedly at this rate another one or two during that one, there is going to be a need of a long list.

Anyone thinking of Ben Cutting at all? Leading wicket taker in the SS and second highest in FRC. Too young for mine, but has played more games than Siddle did before he was selected :D

Boris;387362 said:
Anyone thinking of Ben Cutting at all? Leading wicket taker in the SS and second highest in FRC. Too young for mine, but has played more games than Siddle did before he was selected :D

eddiesmith;387363 said:
John Hastings an outsider

EDIT: thought it was the one day forum, my mistake.

Okay...

Given the high traffic of the Test and ODI selection threads, we're going to try something a little different. From now on, we'll close the thread at the end of each series. That means that each thread will hopefully be a lot shorter, and contain mainly discussion of who is in the frame for the next upcoming tour.

It also means that people are free to start other topics regarding long-term selection planning (e.g. who will be touring England in 2013) and other matters, rather than having it all lumped together in one place. Hopefully this will also make discussion a bit more accessible to new posters who don't want to be confronted by a 40 page thread.

Ideas/feedback is welcome, however rather than take this thread offtopic please PM one of the mods (me, D.K) or start a thread in the Suggestions forum.

His fitness probably isn't good enough at this stage to be considered for test cricket. McKay should have first strike at Siddle's spot considering Hilfenhaus probably won't be considered for selection.

I also like the look of the young lad Ben Cutting from Queensland, this guy will be playing for Australia sooner rather then later IMO.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;388051 said:
His fitness probably isn't good enough at this stage to be considered for test cricket. McKay should have first strike at Siddle's spot considering Hilfenhaus probably won't be considered for selection.

I also like the look of the young lad Ben Cutting from Queensland, this guy will be playing for Australia sooner rather then later IMO.

Ben Cutting should wait a couple of years first. Check his injury rate and things like that as well. Siddle should be used as a demonstration of burn out in picking players to young without experience or consistency to back them up.

Boris;388052 said:
Ben Cutting should wait a couple of years first. Check his injury rate and things like that as well. Siddle should be used as a demonstration of burn out in picking players to young without experience or consistency to back them up.

Why?

The guy, from all reports, is bowling like a machine at the moment and is easily the most promising and most in form bowler playing in the shield at the moment.

Why hold back from picking a guy when he arguably deserves a place on merit alone just to see if his injury prone in the years ahead.

Absurd.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;388091 said:
Why?

The guy, from all reports, is bowling like a machine at the moment and is easily the most promising and most in form bowler playing in the shield at the moment.

Why hold back from picking a guy when he arguably deserves a place on merit alone just to see if his injury prone in the years ahead.

Absurd.

I like the guy, don't get me wrong. Plus as the Victorians will say out there he is a Queenslander so I must like him (thought I would get in first) :p

The thing is though, he doesn't have the merits behind him to get and hold a place. He has had one full season, that is it. He has been bowling great, sure, but what's to say he isn't a one season wonder? If he's playing for Australia he will be playing for years, I would like just a touch of evidence that he isn't going to burn out and wilt into the average run of the mill state level bowler, as has happened to a damn lot of bowlers in the country (not necessarily a bad thing).

If you want to give him the best chance at sticking his place, let him wait until he becomes a chanted name in the media as the next McGrath. I think that will be the right time.

Then again, which form would you pick him in? His ODD form is better than his First Class form, but both are very good. Leaves that question as well.

Don't think he is Test quality yet.

Re: Test XI Selection Thread - NZ Tour

What sort of bowler is Cutting? Haven't seen him personally so what does he have, raw pace, steepling bounce, fantastic accuracy? Why has he been such a success?

lemmon;390569 said:
What sort of bowler is Cutting? Haven't seen him personally so what does he have, raw pace, steepling bounce, fantastic accuracy? Why has he been such a success?

He bowls about 140 km/h, nothing much there. He gets some swing, mostly away from the right hander. Very accurate and get's good carry through. I think he may have modeled his action off of Bichel/Kasprowicz, he seems quite similar to them. Also got some good variations.

The best thing about him is that I called him first, said he'd be somewhere near international quality at the start of this season. Everyone just scoffed. :D

Cutting also has a very short, bustling run - which as Boris says, is somewhat similar to Andy Bichels run.

However, Cutting gets his left arm higher then Bichel.

Will be a good bowler for Australia, I have no doubt he will be playing international cricket for Australia within the next 2 or 3 years.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;390577 said:
Cutting also has a very short, bustling run - which as Boris says, is somewhat similar to Andy Bichels run.

However, Cutting gets his left arm higher then Bichel.

Will be a good bowler for Australia, I have no doubt he will be playing international cricket for Australia within the next 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for the info Boris and Lions, there's a fair bit to be excited about with Australia's young fast bowling stocks, Hazelwood, Pattison, Starc, Cutting, McDermott, Hastings, Richardson all exciting fast bowlers under 25. Will be good to see how they develop as a group.

yeah qld no 11 isnt doin too bad at the mo:)
Bracken should be in the test team when fit
due to lack of good bowlers:mad:

Back