The Carrom Ball

Re: The Carrom Ball

charlieguile;404201 said:
I am very comfortable bowling with this grip in matches, and variation of turn and bounce is quite easy to control.
I can even put out the odd intentional "toppy", which I'm not bothered too much about, as it is pretty much a leggie anyway.

One of the future benefits of my current grip is that it is not too different from the flipper grip, and I have already been testing this release around the house.

My only issue at the moment is getting more pace without sacrificing flight, as even when I pitch it nicely, some batsmen can just rock back and hit through the off side.
I have been focusing on getting more of an explosive action and follow through, which has returned results, shown in my progressive match figures.

Perhaps it's a matter of giving my mind and body time to adjust to the legspin frame of thought.

Have you had a look at the Richie Benuad clips one of the other blokes posted up? I'm not a big fan of Benuad, but it is one of the most comprehensive sequences of any of the great wrist spinners talking about the art in a matter of fact, educational way and is worth a look at. In it Benaud who's known for quoting that it took him four years to master the Flipper also talks about giving yourself at least 4 years to learn how to bowl Leg Breaks which is comforting having now been trying for 4 years and still not happy with it. Last year I had a phenomenal year, whereas this year I've bowled dog S**t bad and I can't really figure out what it is that I'm doing that is radically different.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's good to have you come over to Wrist Spin, but get ready for the trauma and frustration that also accompanies the glory and triumphs - none of it is easy. We're off topic here as well - we should be having this discussion over in the wrist spin 'general section'.

Yeah sorry. I have deviated from my original post about my grip.
I have seen the Benaud videos. I have also watched all the videos made by everyone posting on here too, even before I knew about this blog!
I suppose it shows how bonkers I am on the subject.

Charlieguile, just looked at my facebook page and now know who you are, welcome aboard mate, good luck with the wrist spinning and look forward to your contributions on here.

Dave

Wow. It's been a while since I was on here. Still bowling Iverson leggies. In my team as more of a batsman now, as I am having more success than the others with the bat. Plus that our seamers tend to take all the wicket early. Got a decent camera now, so I am looking to get some vids on youtube soon. Bowled ok this year, but not often. 2 bowling spells of note this year are: 2-0-5-3, and 3.3-1-7-3. I have had a couple of shockers too, but I guess that's legspin for you.

Wow. It's been a while since I was on here. Still bowling Iverson leggies. In my team as more of a batsman now, as I am having more success than the others with the bat. Plus that our seamers tend to take all the wicket early. Got a decent camera now, so I am looking to get some vids on youtube soon. Bowled ok this year, but not often. 2 bowling spells of note this year are: 2-0-5-3, and 3.3-1-7-3. I have had a couple of shockers too, but I guess that's legspin for you.

How does your grip compare to what I use?

1. Grip - Batsman's view

2. Grip - Side view (if this was the batsman's view then this would be my OBS)

3. Release - Batsman's view

4. Release - Side view (not the greatest shot but notice the stress between the middle finger and thumb)

Yeah that pretty much sums up my grip! Emphasis on giving the ball a huge flick with the middle finger.
The turn I get on wickets varies as per usual, but line and length can be controlled well. Get huge turn in the nets. Our first team Aussie (I'm 3rd XI), calls them "Gatting balls" when I bowl at him.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my grip! Emphasis on giving the ball a huge flick with the middle finger.
The turn I get on wickets varies as per usual, but line and length can be controlled well. Get huge turn in the nets. Our first team Aussie (I'm 3rd XI), calls them "Gatting balls" when I bowl at him.
Well it's good to know someone else out there uses the same grip, I've been using that grip for about 20 years and with that I have a decent enough leg break, googly, topspinner and orthodox back spinner. All I can say is don't go a changing, it can work well if you put in the practice.

I just can't get that damn wrongun' out. It just seems to come out like a top spinner. But the others are all working good. Even chuck in the random arm-ball for a bit of variation. Keep plugging away, that's the key.

I just can't get that damn wrongun' out. It just seems to come out like a top spinner. But the others are all working good. Even chuck in the random arm-ball for a bit of variation. Keep plugging away, that's the key.
The googly was the first variation I learnt, the topspinner took me longer to nail down for some reason. The key I found with a wrong'un was that it really is just a little further round from a topspinner and all the work is done by the fingers.

Whatever you do don't choke the spin out of it by rotating your wrist too far around or by trying to really rip it, Warne's wrong'un remains the best example of how to try and break your arm while bowling what should be a simple delivery.

The googly was the first variation I learnt, the topspinner took me longer to nail down for some reason. The key I found with a wrong'un was that it really is just a little further round from a topspinner and all the work is done by the fingers.

Whatever you do don't choke the spin out of it by rotating your wrist too far around or by trying to really rip it, Warne's wrong'un remains the best example of how to try and break your arm while bowling what should be a simple delivery.
Right! I will bear this in mind when I go to nets today. See if I can get one to tweak a bit. Thanks for the input.

Back