The Long Barrier

mas cambios

The Long Barrier

Seeing as I’m trying to start with basics, I thought a brief post on the long barrier would be worthwhile.

To most of you who play regular cricket this is bread and butter stuff but there is no harm in going over it every once on a while. We can all agree that good fielding is not only the key to putting pressure on the batting side but can also play a major part in winning games.

The long barrier enables you to get your body behind the ball, so that even if you can’t get your hands on it, it should hopefully hit your leg or body to stop the ball. This is especially useful on outfields which are less than perfect!

Attack the ball

Approach the ball at speed and as you get into line with the ball, twist your upper body, leading with the shoulder furthest from the ball.

Get low
Bend both knees, so that the knee of the leg nearest to the ball touches the ground, but it is also next to the back of the heel of the other leg.

Pick up and throw
With fingers down and head forward, pick up the ball and then stand back up ready to deliver an overarm throw

Re: The Long Barrier

Great tutorial.

Contrary to popular belief, this is most useful when you are tired not when you are active. When you are up and raring to go, you can easily bend down and pick it up or more ideally 'pick up and throw' but when you are tired, you tend to miss the ball or can't get down low enough so the long barrier is best.

Also, no matter how you feel:
If you are on the boundary and the ball is hit hard, do the long barrier.
If you are backing up a throw, do the long barrier.

Re: The Long Barrier

in my opinion, i dont think you should ever stop attacking the ball in field.
unless its on the boundary and u dont want it to slip past u for four, anywhere else on the field i think you should keep attacking the ball and keep the pressure on the batsman and maybe even get a run-out.

Back