The Origins Of Cricket

Give up guys! As one form or another of cricket has been played since the first man picked up the first stone and threw it to his neighbour who deflected it with a handy stick somewhere in Africa, you will not find any evidence to support either of your claims.

However, observation says it all:

Historian G M N Trevelyan said, "If the French noblesse had been capable of playing cricket with their peasants, their Chateaux would never have been burnt."

However, Lord Mancroft's observation that, "Cricket is a game which the English, not being a spiritual people, have invented to give themselves some concept of eternity." is probably nearer the mark.

Of course, you do know that cricket was a sedate ladies game before it was hijacked!

Have a look at this story it's from the town I lived in for most of my life. I moved out in 1988, as a mate of mine was threatened with being murdered and being my best mate, I guessed I might be around when the incident occurred. It looks like the violent legacy of the town goes back quite some time and accounts for probably the most violent cricket game ever...

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/explore/georgians/1780939/

Back