The Samit Patel Files

Samits in! Let's hope he can get some runs and beat Pietersons score.

Later... I can see it now in the changing room -
"Oi Kev how many runs you make today...14 was it off of 36 balls"? Pietersen, head looking at the floor says nothing. "I think I did pretty well for a fat lad then eh - 17 runs off of 12 balls"... PIetersen sits there thinking he needs to talk to Max Clifford or someone to maximise his celebrity potential, because his batting isn't going anywhere!

Pietersen has another mediocre day (26 of of 46 balls) in the 2nd one day against Pakistan, whereas Samit Patel takes two wickets with his bowling 10-0-51-2 and catch off Finns bowling. Despite this the Fat Boy jibes are appearing in the the press... "Patel will never be naturally thin but the most talked about waistline in English cricket is looking trimmer as he addresses the lingering doubts about his commitment to fitness and a healthy diet".Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2100941/Samit-Patel-England-victory-sends-statement.html#ixzz1mg4ocXL9

"SAMIT PATEL insists he is winning his battle with the fridge and growing into a cricketer England can no longer ignore" http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...64/Samit-Patel-Dont-call-me-Samit-Fat-el.html

Go Samit! Let's hope he keeps up his good form he's shown in the run up to the test that starts in a few hours time in India. Seems Monty Panesars not going to get a look in as Samit bats and fields well, so Samit's our number two spinner, let's hope he does well! Good luck Samit!

They are both playing. Sammy is very lucky! I don't think he should be playing. While Monty has picked up 2 wickets so far.
I hope Patel does well, another middle order player I like is Essex's Ravi Bopara - but I think he's facing a bleak prospect of ever playing for England again, especially if Samit makes his mark in this series - he's done Okay today, just watching now to see if he gets a bowl (Highlights).

@ Future - Monty did well, didnt think Sammy did very well.
I think he's doing a workman-like job at the moment, nothing spectacular with the bat, but getting a few runs generally, because of how well it's gone with the bowling, he's not been required. There talk of Morgan being given a go in the next test, he's a lot more likely to go big, but at the same time also a lot more likely to go for nothing whereas Samit seems like a better bet to get a few runs on the board. I hope he keeps his place for the next test and brings it home with the rest of them and has his day of glory. It'll be good to see Monty there as well, as he looked to be all washed up at one point.

I think he's doing a workman-like job at the moment, nothing spectacular with the bat, but getting a few runs generally, because of how well it's gone with the bowling, he's not been required. There talk of Morgan being given a go in the next test, he's a lot more likely to go big, but at the same time also a lot more likely to go for nothing whereas Samit seems like a better bet to get a few runs on the board. I hope he keeps his place for the next test and brings it home with the rest of them and has his day of glory. It'll be good to see Monty there as well, as he looked to be all washed up at one point.

Your right I suppose, we always remember the big hitters when they achieve and not those who put in sound performances but nothing spectacular. Ive always liked Monty so I hope he is in.

You'd be pleased to know Dave that Sammy got an impressive 44 off only 20 balls today against India! Didn't know he could score that fast.

Samit's in the frame to play in the next test in Pakistan, there's talk of a possible need to play three spinners and bowling left arm orthodox he should do ok, added to that he has a reputation for being able to play spin.

England
  • Alastair Cook(c)
  • Moeen Ali
  • Ian Bell
  • Joe Root
  • James Taylor
  • Ben Stokes
  • Jonny Bairstow(wk)
  • Samit Patel
  • Adil Rashid
  • Stuart Broad
  • James Anderson

• England playing Pakistan - I pretty guessed the team they'd used and I included Samit. He's on two wickets at the moment and he's the pick of the spinners so far - Go Samit!

Back