The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

Re: The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

Where I play we never get the same keeper twice, not that helpful really.

Season over and done with and we managed to sign off with a win (thanks to my captaincy (I wish)). Personally, it was a solid day with 1 wicket for 24 off 10 overs and 12 runs. Bowled out the opposition for 107 and then got them for 5 wickets. One of the young bowlers took a 5fer, which really pleased me as you can see how much he's come on over the season - shame that it was his last game as he's off to college.

Looks it'll be all change next year with the 1st team skipper stepping down and hopefully a realisation that the club as a whole can do better, not least in it's organisation. They'll hopefully pay for me to complete my level 2 badge and then we can get moving on that side of things.

It was an interesting season to be honest. At times I found myself banging my head against a brick wall as I could see so many areas the club could improve on/in but the lack of organisation made it a fearsome task.

Now that a few others have piped up, it's a start and hopefully things will get better.

From a personal point of view, I just want my ankle to sort itself out and then I can have a proper crack at a season for them.

we had a change of chairman this year which has done us wonders! younger and more enthusiastic! also works in the sports / recruitemtn industry so is well on the ball!

Change can be good. I've played for two clubs now where the old guard have been very resistant to any form of change. Plus having a slip cordon with a combined age of nearly 200 isn't good (keeper plus 2 slips!).

well the last chairman had bene in charge for 12 years! thank god he moved or we would still be stuck with him! also our treasurer is oldschool!

It also depends on how they see themselves, our chairman is a 'figurehead' for the club rather than actively looking to improve things.

Sad news in that the bloke who started to help me with under 9's passed away this week, after a shortish illness. Not altogether unexpected but still never nice.

In other news, I've been roped into doing a FAW football coaching course tomorrow (well today as it's gone midnight). God knows what to expect as I haven't football for a wee while and even then I was a keeper. It's a means to an end though as a job coaching football awaits which will provide some extra cash whilst at uni. Who knows, I might even apply for the England mangers job when Capello gets the boot in about 3 months time.

Sorry to hear about your friend Mas. Good luck with the coaching though.

The football coaching was interesting. Although there is a lot of cross over with what you're taught for other sports, they do make some valid points which can easily cross over to cricket. Has certainly given me some different ideas which I can implement into my coaching anyway.

hopefully im going to be doing my level 1 Coaching this october!

It's a good course, I found it interesting although there isn't that much 'technical' stuff. It's mostly how to coach, how to present yourself and making sure you cover yourself in case of any incidents.

Level 2 is where it starts to get more involved.

swghayward79;30088 said:
if youre season was like ours it was a bit damp, shame really

You're not a million miles away so I guess you suffered the same August washout as I did.

Not sure what to put on here really as cricket season has now finished. Just gearing up for uni and getting over the cost of the compulsory sport kit as well as the compulsory gym membership (not that bad in all honesty).

Have lined up some coaching work in a few schools, so that'll be something different as well as providing a bit of extra cash.

Other than that it'll be quiet for a while, will do some more of my level 2 cricket badge in November and will also pick up a few courses offered at uni (SAQ most likely) and I have a feeling that I may attend one the ABSAT courses.

Seems an age since I last wrote anything in here and a lot has gone on, although hardly any of it is cricket related.

Talking of cricket, I've just recently finished the module part of the level 2 coaching certificate, of which there are 8 in total. Found them useful we a lot of cross over from the stuff we cover at uni.

A top tip is too look at your coaching session and work out if you've been challenged mentally, physically, tactically and technically. If you managed to get at least 3 of those in then it's been a pretty good session!

In terms of the actual badge, all there is left to do is to deliver ten 30 minute sessions to players aged between 11 and 13 (the easy part) and the final assessment, which is held next March. I feel fairly confident of passing it all; the key is in the planning of each session.

Aside from that I'm just waiting on another hospital appointment for my ankle and I'm guessing a date for an operation. It's pretty annoying as it really hampers me and I haven't bowled at anywhere near full pelt for almost a year now. Nets start up again after Xmas, so I'll do if the rest it's had has made any difference (not much as I can still feel it from time to time).

Back