The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

Wolf

The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

When playing cricket, everyone has a dream day. Just a day that everything goes right. If you haven't experienced it yet one day you will. Today I lived the dream. Not only did I score 52, my first ever 50, I also took a wicket with my gentle bowling, and, most importantly, I took the winning catch of the last ball of the match.

I will tell you the tale of this day. We lost the toss and were put in, and our openers got us to a quick start, both scoring 29 to set us a good platform. We were about 105-4 in the 25th when I strolled to the wicket, and I told myself just to keep my head and don't play any silly shots, which are so often my downfall. I lost my partner with 117 on the board, but me and my skipper put on 82 for the 6th wicket, both retiring after 47 overs to give the rest of the team a bit of a bat. After starting slowly, I gradually worked my way into it, cutting and driving a few fours while keeping the singles coming. I scored my first six in senior cricket with a big hit over long on, and had the widest smile ever as I raised my bat to the pavilion after a drive through the covers brought up my 50. We ended on 215, and as I eat my lunch I stuffed myself thinking my part in the match was over. How wrong I was....

It was clear from the start that the opposistion has one thing in mind - the losing draw. They made no attempt whatsoever to surpass our total. So after about 16 overs where they defended their way to about 20 runs, I was shocked to find myself with the ball in my hand ready to bowl (my wicket last week was only my third in as many years) and after having an easy catch dropped at mid-off in the first over, I got my man caught at second slip in my second. I didn't get another but finished with the impressive figures of 5-2-6-1. My next moment in the game came after an impressive 7 wickets by our strike bowler, who showed devastating pace and a killer slower ball to rip through the batting line-up. The opposistion were 67-9 after 49.5 overs. For the last twenty or so overs we had virtually everyone crowded around the bat, to not much avail as almost all our wickets were bowled. So with our captain bowling his medium pace, and the last pair holding out for about six overs thus far, not much hope was held out for the final ball, even with 10 men crowded around the bat. But alas, the ball popped up a bit and came to me, one of three silly points, and after a little bit of a juggle which probably caused 10 heart attacks, I clung on, giving us an extra 11 points on top of the 14 we would have got for the winning draw.

As my teammates piled on top of me, I realised as club cricketers we don't play for glory or fame, we play for the respect and gratidude of our teammates, and that feeling inside of satisfaction. There is no greater feeling in the world.

Re: The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

Keep the comments coming people. :p

Anyway, we are now joint top of the league after two games, and we play the side who are 3rd this weekend. Looked at their results so far and they have set two massive totals batting first and are only 3rd because the first game they got held to a losing draw. They bowled out the team my team bowled out for 82 on the first weekend for 42 last weekend! So I expect a tough test.

Just grind it out mate, we were playing the 'worst bowling team in the comp' on one of the shortest grounds and we were like 2/4!!!

Looks like you're on track for a decent season, and yeh, you're right with the last comment, respect of teammates is such a great feeling.

He was one of the star players of the Mumbai Ranji team, didn't manage to impress in the limited opportunities he got at the international level though.

mas cambios said:
Looks a decent player, can bat a bit as well.

What league do you play in?

Well I play in the Staffordshire Club League, which is a feeder division to the Birmingham League, which is where our firsts play (we are in the Premier League). I will get a chance to watch him today as both my team and the firsts are at home, so he will be on the ground next to me.

Easy win today, I expected a lot from the opposistion but was gravely disappointed. They arrived no less than an hour late (credit to the one guy who was actually there on time) after going to the wrong ground (??????). Strangely there was no penalty for them in the rulebook except for we claimed the toss, so the game was reduced to 40 overs a side.

We sent them in and although you could see they were good players they just didn't look interested in scoring runs at a decent rate, we restricted them for 134-8, despite my one over for 10 runs. It continued in the same vein for our innings, we were 70-0 off 10 overs I think, as our openers thrashed it about, I finally came in with 11 to win and I managed to contribute 8 not out with a nice four over the top against the spinner.

Our firsts were in the middle of an intriguing game when I left, the legspinner looked seriously good bowling with incredible dip, and another new player we have looked seriously quick, I think he has had county trials. The opposition were 60-5 chasing 142 (!?) when I left and looking a bit at sea.

wolf said:
Well I play in the Staffordshire Club League, which is a feeder division to the Birmingham League, which is where our firsts play (we are in the Premier League).

A very good standard then! I've played at Barnt Green a few times plus Walsall as well. Might even have had a few games at Kidderminster but not 100% certain on that.

Today we didn't quite manage to continue our three match winning start to the season, as we could only get a winning draw due to the negative tactics of the opposition. So that means only 14 points compared to the 25 we would have got for the full win.

It came as no surprise when we were sent into bat on a grassy wicket, and we struggled to score runs to start with, and we were 7-2 off seven when I trotted to the wicket batting at no.4. After getting my innings going with a couple of nice drives through the covers for two, and a flick behind square for a single in my first over, it became a tough struggle as we tried to survive and grind out a few runs in the process, especially from one end where the ball was jagging every each way. It must have been a few more overs when I finally scored again, a drive through the covers for 4. After I brought my total to 12 with a drive for 3, I got cracked on the knee by a ball that pitched outside off stump but vicously came back into me, eventually me being given not out beause it was missing leg. I had to retire hurt though as I couldn't put pressure on one leg, but came back in about five overs later when another wicket fell, but got out to an inswinger that had me fishing but eventually bowled me. At that stage we were about 40-4 off 25 overs, but thankfully our no.6, and especially our no.7 managed to score at a decent rate as they brought on some lesser bowlers, our no.7 making 55* and our no.7 32 as we closed on 148-9 off our 50 overs. We felt that was a fantastic total on a honestly dreadful pitch, and we were confident of bowling them out.

The opposition started with a positive intent to get the total, and I unfortunately putting down a diving catch at gully, disappointing as by my high fielding standards it was easy. They were looking well set when their openers were there, and to an extent at one down, but when they were both back in hutch they just went into their shell and just played for a losing draw, which was incredibly annoying, as they only get 2 points for it, so why play for it when you can get an extra 18 points for the win? They were only four down in the 39th over when I took a catch at mid-on diving forward, and then the floodgates started to open, and by the end of the 44th over they were eight down, and they were nine down after 46. We just couldn't get that last wicket though, dropping a catch in the penultimate over.

This means we could drop to second, but we play the team that could overtake us next week which could be crucial in the final outcome of the league.

We are still top of the league, rivals only got a winning draw as well. We play them on Saturday. Also seen you only get eight points for the winning draw plus bonus points.

Twenty20 knockout comp starts tommorow.

"When playing cricket, everyone has a dream day. Just a day that everything goes right. If you haven't experienced it yet one day you will. Today I lived the dream. Not only did I score 52, my first ever 50, I also took a wicket with my gentle bowling, and, most importantly, I took the winning catch of the last ball of the match".

I almost had one of these days a couple of weeks ago. Bowled really well and took the catch that saved the match whilst all around me were dropping balls - it's me that usually drops them!

Do you play a 'serious' 20Twenty league?? We only play a midweek 20 over league, our only 'serious' cricket is the 50 over stuff.

Jelly Beanz said:
Do you play a 'serious' 20Twenty league?? We only play a midweek 20 over league, our only 'serious' cricket is the 50 over stuff.

It's a knockout tournament. I actually don't know how serious it is, it was the first match of the year and I didn't play it last year at all. I would guess it is not as serious as the Saturday stuff though.

What we have at our club is T20 night. We come down at about 5, watch the end of the seniors match, then we go play of the turf wicket, 20 overs a side, heaps of players on each side, something like 15, we got 8 balls each no matter how many times you went out (which I didn't like, shoulda been if you're out, you're out but all well) and yeh, it was great. The lights went on which was great cos our ground is awesome. It was a great night. I hit a six and shocked all the older guys who thought I could only defend and got a guard of honour :laugh:

What happens is the u16s and u14s are together, they get split in half and play each other.
As a rule only u16s bowl to u16s, but it kinda gets broken, no harm done (usually) and it's quite funny, especially when watching the fastest bowler in u16s (who is express) bowl to this hopeless u14C player. Was hilarious.

The u12s (we have 2 teams) get split in half and play each other

Same with u10s.

This year the u12s and u10s didn't play on the turf wicket, they just played on a rolled out and dried but bit in the outfield.

But yeh, it is supppperrr fun and raises some money for your club through the bar.

Jelly Beanz said:
Oh ok, I mean like, it is your 1st team who play or is it just letting all the kids have a go??

Well the comp is run by the Staffs Club League, where our 3rds, 4th and 5ths play, so we wouldn't put any first or second teamers in.

Match today called off. We actually managed to get into the field, but apparently you can't start a match in the rain so we went off, and it got progressively worse before we called it off an hour and a half later.

Back