The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

Re: The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

The promotion race in our league is going right down to the wire. It was actually not in our hands until yesterday, but a win for us and a loss for the 3rd placed team (1st place had a day off) means we now only need to win our final match to be promoted, and with some luck with the weather next week (we are not playing) or a loss for the team that is now in 2nd, means we will go up as champions.

For those of you interested the league table can be found here. http://www.staffsclubcricket.org.uk/league3a.htm We are the "Wolverhampton Courts".

Yesterday we batted first as we needed the full 25 points and we set about getting the runs well, we declared on 178-7 after 45 overs to give ourselves 55 overs to bowl them out. I scored one after getting screwed over by the umpire who gave me out just because I gave him out, he gave me out LBW even though it actually hit me a mile outside leg and was going even further down.

Bowling wise, it was a frustrating worrying time all the way through. We finally got a double breakthrough in the 9th over getting two wickets. I was brought on in the 17th over and after being hit for 10 in my first over I picked up wickets in my 2nd and 3rd overs, caught at mid-on and bowled. I was took off after 5 overs but we continued to pick up wickets until their captain came in at no.11 and showed he was actually their best bat, and started an assualt on the target (about 65 off 12 overs when he came in) and it was 29 off 4 overs when I got the no.11 stumped when he tried to charge me. My final figures were 7.1-0-25-3.

Dropped into the 3rds from the 5ths? Yes that makes sense.

My team just didn't have a game, and I guess with people maybe unavailable because of the footy season/going back to uni etc they were a bit short of numbers.

Weekend cricket been called off because of the dammed weather, but it means we go into the last game of the season this Saturday needing only 5 points to clinch the title!

Unfortunately our game today was called off due to our opposition only having seven players. That means we have won the league, but a little disappointing that we couldn't win it by right off the last game.

My season finishes tommorow as Wolverhampton have their annual match with Greenflies.

Ur Club scored the highest points of 306.
Does this have any kind of promotion to the club for the next season in terms of any more tournaments or prize.

Yes, we have been promoted from Div 3A into Div 2A. We are invited to a nice presentation ceremony in November.

My game today finished was a tie! It was a declaration game (after 18:00 there was 20 overs). We were put in and made 154 a/o, they scored the same with only three wickets down. I made a golden duck when batting and bowled 7-1-33-1. Not my best showing, but I had someone constantly telling me what to do and setting fields (he wasn't captain) and I lost concentration because I was so annoyed. At one point I had five slips in place, which was just silly.

Anyway pretty good season for me on a personal and team level, Saturday team were champions, I've scored four 50's and took 18 catches in all matches, as well as chipping in with my fair share of wickets!

Hurrrah! Hurrah! I have a surprise game on Sunday! I'll be out in my thermals that is for sure.

Anyway, my skipper has just been off the phone with details of both the club and league presentations. I have apparently won the 5ths bowling award with the best average! A bit of a surprise as I consider myself a batsmen who can bowl! I didn't take the most wickets as I didn't bowl much first half of the season but I got 20 wickets for not very many. As a team we generally share the wickets around so I imagine it was pretty tight! I also finished 2nd in the batting averages with 300 odd runs with an average of around 35.

I'll have to have a look. I'm not really with it this week as I'm stupidly busy again, having to through a 5 year development plan in order to secure funding and it's driving me nuts, a well as a whole host of other things.

Once I sort out the player of the month comp, I'll get your tag put back in.

I wish you would get your priorities right. :p I only get a month before it goes and you are eating into my showing off time.

I scored a quick and breezy 33* yesterday to finish the season, including three 4's and a 6.

Hi guys, long time no see. :D Having lost interest with the forum over the past two months, it feels like I don't know you all anymore. I've been keeping myself in shape by playing some indoor cricket (it's dead fun) for a team, keeping my reactions in check by keeping goal for a six-a-side football team as well as playing tennis in the cold of the winter nights.

There has been both the club and league presentations over the past couple of weeks, and I've recieved both my league medal and club 5X1 bowling award. I was only about 80 runs behind the league batting award, so I know what I am going to have to aim for next season (will be tough as we will be in a higher division).

Here are a couple of photos from the league presentation (looking like a complete div in the first one).

DSC00008.jpg

me.jpg

I didn't get any photos from the club presentation but I took one of my trophy just now!

DSC00009.jpg

Back