Tips for keeping seam alignment

Re: Tips for keeping seam alignment

i use the same grip as Philpott, but its actually identical in method to the Warne/Jenner grip. its just a difference based on hand size. you look at Jenner and Warne and theyve got giant bear paws, big chunky hands with big chunky fingers. ive got long thin fingers, but my hands overall arent massive. my natural grip therefore is with my ring finger behind the seam (not on it), and i then use my first and middle fingers slightly angled in conjunction with the thumb to add a few extra levers to the ball. my grip looks literally identical to Philpotts in his book.

Warnes is very, very similar. his fingers are slightly straighter, but thats just because he has the ball much further into his palm due to having bigger hands. i dont think its something you should read into, there isnt going to be any improvements by trying to copy Warne, because its a difference based on physical attributes that you cant change.

Re: Tips for keeping seam alignment

Jim2109;398128 said:
i use the same grip as Philpott, but its actually identical in method to the Warne/Jenner grip. its just a difference based on hand size.

Yeah most of the slow legspinners have used pretty much the same grip. The faster ones are the ones who mucked around with unorthodox grips. In fact you could argue that O Rielly and O Keefe were not legspinners at all based on their grips.

Warne has butchers hands with sausage fingers. Philpott has violinist hands with artist fingers but both spun the ball huge and fast. I never forget the quote in Benauds biography where he wrote Philpott could spin a cricket ball more than Warne.

Back