Tips to prepare for flipper/googly

Re: Tips to prepare for flipper/googly

Matt2010;409668 said:
Can anybody bowl the top-spinning flipper?

Dave gives it a go and can bowl it. Jim2019 can do it and I remember gundalf told us on here how he used to bowl it by mistake.

I can bowl it better than i can the backspinning type. But it is a bit harder to disguise for a legspinner and would seem more an offspinners ball.

Grimmett was the first to bowl it. It is more or less his backspinning flipper(as used by warne and benaud) bowled upside down, with the thumb flicking up and imparting overspin.

macca;409682 said:
Dave gives it a go and can bowl it. Jim2019 can do it and I remember gundalf told us on here how he used to bowl it by mistake.

I can bowl it better than i can the backspinning type. But it is a bit harder to disguise for a legspinner and would seem more an offspinners ball.

Grimmett was the first to bowl it. It is more or less his backspinning flipper(as used by warne and benaud) bowled upside down, with the thumb flicking up and imparting overspin.

im not sure that i can get top spin from the flipper. but i cant say ive ever actually tried because i dont really see any merit to it. ive got the off spinning flipper, which at one time i thought was overspun, but its actually backspun having seen it on video. but thats the only unorthodox flipper i have.

shrek;409669 said:
I think flipper by definition has to be backspinning- topspin will make it bounce up and not shoot low. Whenever I try to bowl a flipper over 22 yards, my wrist moves and i end up bowling a topspinner -

What makes it a Flipper is the use of the fingers and Thumb to impart the spin. YouTube - Clarrie Grimmett Flipper Wrist spin bowling A

If you read Grimmetts 'Getting Wickets' (1930) he explains the Flipper in terms of how the spin is imparted and then he goes on to explain in detail how the 'Round the loop' theory is applied to the wrist to produce the 4 basic Flipper variants including the Top-Spinner which was Grimmetts preferred method of delivery. If you read Ashley Malletts book on Grimmett he quotes Bradman who christened the Top Spinning Flipper 'His mystery ball' and he goes on to say that there overs where Grimmett only ever seemed to bowl the Top-Spinning Flipper. I also seem to recall that initially it was referred to as the 'Flicker'.

But you'll also find that apart from on this website you'll rarely hear anyone else talk of the Flipper variants and you'll probably find some people dispute it's existance. I think even Mallett having researched and met Grimmett on several ocassions still disputed the existence of this variation, primarily because he couldn't bowl it at all, Jenner in the past has also disputed the possibilty of ever being able to bowl it, but as Macca says there's 3 of us on here that use it. YouTube - Flipper Variation No 5 Clarrie Grimmetts 'Msytery Ball'

Back