Too Much Bottom Handed

Re: Too Much Bottom Handed

It really depends on why this is happening.

Why do you think you use too much bottom hand during these shots?

If you are up for an experiment, take the bat in your top hand only.

Go through the motion of these shots slowly.

How did the shoulder feel?
How high could you lift the bat without leaning backwards?
How long can you hold the final position for?

Quick and dirty solution - use an oval handle as opposed to the more traditional rounded ones. Doesn't work for every one and you'll still need to work on it but it can help.

I've heard others suggest (and I think some top-class batsmen have done this) that you put a squash ball inside the glove in the palm of your bottom hand. I've no idea if it's any use though...

Spiderlounge;389463 said:
I've heard others suggest (and I think some top-class batsmen have done this) that you put a squash ball inside the glove in the palm of your bottom hand. I've no idea if it's any use though...

I'm going to try this in the nets during the week.

Hey,

I had/have a similar problem to this with driving. My bat face would close and I'd end up glancing a cover drive through the on or leg side somewhere.

My coach changed my grip on my bottom hand, I only use the thumb and index finger. This has stopped my bat face closing so the ball goes 'true' off the face of the bat. I found it's worked well, and although I can't punch through the drive with my bottom hand, it's a vast improvement because it's not glancing off to the side.

There are loads of causes of this. The squash ball fixes a grip that's too tight on the bottom hand but it's a wast of time if that isn't your problem.

Also look at your setup. Where is the backlift going? How far round is your top hand grip? Where is your head (some people tip to the off side)? Where are your feet in your stance?

The other thing to look at is your head when playing shots. Balance is key.

with cutting i dont think this is a massive problem as it is a mainly bottom handed shot. when driving i think have some throw downs and just hit with only the top hand on the bat and then see if this has made any difference.

Resyx;396363 said:
Hey,

I had/have a similar problem to this with driving. My bat face would close and I'd end up glancing a cover drive through the on or leg side somewhere.

My coach changed my grip on my bottom hand, I only use the thumb and index finger. This has stopped my bat face closing so the ball goes 'true' off the face of the bat. I found it's worked well, and although I can't punch through the drive with my bottom hand, it's a vast improvement because it's not glancing off to the side.

Resyx

Can you post a picture of your grip? (not sure if thats allowed i am a noob) .. I have a similar problem and I end up flicking or dragging the ball to the on side everytime I drive. Hopefully trying your grip might be helpful.

Back