Topspinner

Mousey

Topspinner

I like to think I can bowl some decent off spin but I've been trying to get some variation lately and just can't get a toppie going. I've got my off-break down pat, an arm ball and one that spins the other way (although considerabley slower, I'm working on it) but would love a nice topspinner to help me get more LBW or bowled wickets, my most common method of disposal (arm ball usually).

Any tips or ideas?

Re: Topspinner

The only idea I can have for an off spinner to bowl a top spinner is to (assuming you are right handed) have your hand on the right hand side of the ball and try to release it with a seam pointing towards the batsman.

Try This. You know how in your follow through for the offbreak your arm comes across your body for the topspinner bring your arm through in a straight line as possible in your follow through, this will insure your wrist and shoulders are going straight on.

FBI;326392 said:
The only idea I can have for an off spinner to bowl a top spinner is to (assuming you are right handed) have your hand on the right hand side of the ball and try to release it with a seam pointing towards the batsman.

Two fingers up, two fingers down all along the seam. Make sure the 3rd finger is the one making most contact with the seam. The back of your hand face you and your thumb which doesn't have to be on the ball points forwards towards the bat. As the arm comes over in the delivery flick the wrist in the delivery and leave that 3rd finger on the ball till last macro second and rip it across the seam as it leaves the hand putting maximum spin on it. With the top spin it should then dip towards the end of it's flight causing even more problems. If you get it, then vary the speed, length and flight - it should cause problems.

No.2 in this video YouTube - Cricket: Shane Warne's five spin deliveries.

Hi dave, you have just described a toppy for a legspinner lol, An offies toppie is very different from a leggies toppie but they have the same desired result, which is to go straight on with extra bounce.

Back