Trigger Movements

mgr989

Trigger Movements

Just a little story here. Now i don't profess to being much of a batsman but the start of this season (British summer) i was averaging around 10 or so but still feeling i could bat better considering some of the ways i got out were just poor shot selection. At the time i used a small trigger movement across the stumps starting on leg (similar to Shane Warne but not quite so extreme). Halfway through the year i stopped using this as i thought maybe my head wasn't still or level when the ball was being bowled, but, since then i have had a shocking run of scores with a high of around 4 and an average of no more than 2 since the middle of June or so.
I'm thinking of bringing the movement back just to see what happens really, i don't play a high level of cricket or anything just wanna play better.

I was wondering how many of you use trigger movements and what sort of level you play at? As i also read they were only really of any use against faster bowlers to get your feet moving.

Cheers.

Re: Trigger Movements

Trigger movements are generally accepted as being only really necessary when facing top level pace bowling. It gives you that split second extra bit of time to get in line etc.

At the level you're playing at I'd be more inclined to concentrate on the basics, getting in line, keeping the head still and ensuring good balance. Keep it simple and try not to overcomplicate things. People get too hung up in trying to be like the pros when there is no real need to, at least not at the level that a lot of us play at.

You may find that you naturally make a small movement when the bowler is approaching the crease/about to release but try not to think about it too much. The key thing is too have 100% concentration on the ball and what it's doing.

We have a guy in our league who came across for a fair amount of $$$ and he bowls 135-140 clicks for about 15 overs a day, amazing bowler

we played his mob on saturday and i could notice my trigger movements were a half step on the front foot , just so im already getting toawards the ball and not stepping on square legs toes

i would say bring the movement back and see wher eit takes you

Trigger movement varies from player to player and how much comfortable u are at batting is important and the other key aspects are very well explained by "MAS" in his post.

Trigger movements are honestly the most over- discussed and unnecessary part of batting.

I'd agree with Scott: More than anything, just concentrate on getting your head in line with the ball. If you feel you absolutely need a slight back and accross movement to set yourself, then use one - because for most people at club level, trigger movements are as much about comfort, as they are about actual functionality. Just ensure that at the point of delivery your head is still, and eyes parallel to the ground.

MV!;273571 said:
Trigger movements are honestly the most over- discussed and unnecessary part of batting.

I'd agree with Scott: More than anything, just concentrate on getting your head in line with the ball. If you feel you absolutely need a slight back and accross movement to set yourself, then use one - because for most people at club level, trigger movements are as much about comfort, as they are about actual functionality. Just ensure that at the point of delivery your head is still, and eyes parallel to the ground.

Totally agree , you see so manys guys worrying about going back and across etc and they wonder why they fall across there stumps all the time . Do what is natural but always ensure you are balanced and your eyes and head are steady and in line .

Back