Trumpers cricket blog- season starts in two weeks

Trumper

Trumpers cricket blog- season starts in two weeks

Training on the 23rd of August..

Had a decent training session the old bloke that runs the club gave me a long bat (45 minutes) to see how I was going.. got quite a few short balls in the nets which I dislike given that it is only training but only possibly got out once.. big nick that was going up when it hit the back net so maybe 4 runs ;)

Bowling OK hitting a good length.. they think that I am a batsman not a bowler but since getting the bowling trophy last year have changed my mind a bit.

I own a Laver & Wood Signature cricket bat and used it for the first time in the nets.. this is the link..

http://www.laverwood.co.nz/signature.htm.. my bat is the one in the mahogany stand on the side..

Man I hit one really long slightly on side but it would have been a six on any international ground.. I love the bat but it is a bit heavy for me (2,10) and have only top scored with 39 during the last season..

Looking for a better season this year.. I used to open but now my eyes are playing up so hopefully 5 or 6 and bowl first change.

Can't wait for the season to start.. training is awesome but there is nothing like the real thing.

Will fill everyone in as the season progresses.

Re: Trumpers cricket blog- season starts in two weeks

Cheers- hopefully it will be a bit of an insight into Australian sub-district cricket.. I'll present it warts and all.. sledging was bad last season and I'm afraid that it seems to be getting worse..

I will try & remember something my dad always used to say..

"On the cricket field there is never a crisis only the next ball".. Boycott said it originally I think.

Trumper;29487 said:
Cheers- hopefully it will be a bit of an insight into Australian sub-district cricket.

You live in Victoria? If so which team?

Training went well yesterday.. had another long net against the slower bowlers which I normally play poorly at and was driving high straight and pretty long..

And played the back foot on drive well.. my favourite shot.

Bowled ok got the ball moving both ways but got hit a bit the batsman are a bit more fluent after all these training sessions

I absolutely LOVE my Laver.. I'm not much a batsman really (usually a kind of correct back foot plodder) but I think I toed a few for 6 on a suburban ground and the one I middled went over 100 meters

I'd recommend a Laver to anyone who wants a belter to play with.. they are kind of clunky and hard to get used to but my God when you get all of one it goes like a Pro's bat

Yep definitely Australia.. there are thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow so don't know if the first game will go ahead yet..

Pretty nervous I must admit.. bowling ok but batting a little rusty.. I've been put in a lower grade to try and bring some young kids up through the ranks (at 32 can't expect too much more) but hopefully have some fun maybe knock up a century if I can

Will let you know how I get on (if the rain stays away!)

Trumper;30152 said:
Yep definitely Australia.. there are thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow so don't know if the first game will go ahead yet..

Meanwhile here in the best city in Australia, it's a lovely 25 degrees.

Second game sorry didn't post the details of the first due to a minor police incident but I'm back now and took 6/54 off 15 overs..

Bit scared that our team made ME open I'm not an opening bowler but it seems like the team is a bit weak but took a wicket in the first over and didn't look back..

Got taken off with the opposition at 9/84 and then the captain put me on again for another over when the last 2 batsman put on 125 for the 10th wicket.. took the last wicket and then the batting crumbled.. hit a quick 25 in a team score of 9/78 but was just too tired to do much else.. got caught at square leg trying to glance a waist high full toss off the opening bowler.. everyone else blocked until they self-destructed.

Bit sad that the team went bad but did the best I could.. hope that next week we can just bat out after the inevitable follow on.. hope for a fifty next week.

Game in good spirits but had a few words to say to the big bloke that got me out.. he was trying to bounce me and after I hooked two in a row he had a few words to say and so I called him a fruitmonger and the captain took him off.

No batsman in the side and no bowlers really. Hope we can get a good side together but at the stage it's just carnage. My old man said I should just play for myself but I like when the team is actually competing not folding every week.

A 6-for and 25 runs! Good work!

It's early days yet Trumper, hopefully the team will start performing as a unit as the weeks go by. Do most of your team train together? It sounds like your teammates need a better plan going into an innings, what's the skipper like for letting people understand what he needs from them?

Do you play for your clubs first team? If not, will consistent good performances get you moved up the ranks?

No I'm in a lower grade agreed to play there so I could play with a few mates that are pretty clueless on the cricket field..

But if I keep averaging in the high 20's with the bat and low teens with the ball then I'd say they'll put me up.

But at 32 can't really be considered a "hot prospect" I'm just happy showing the younger blokes how to play.. I'm even giving the captain the batting order and the field placings.

So next week we've got all day to bat again I'm just going to use it as a very long net and hope I make some more runs..

Back