Turning The Hand To 45°

shahidpak

Hey,

It's been a while i haven't posted on this forum.

I have three questions

I played my first match for my club, i only bowled 1 over because the opposition got out on every full ball from the fast bowlers. I conceded 4 runs in that over.

1) When i bowl a leg break, i naturally get the seam 90° to the pitch, when i bowled this in practice it used to spin, but in my first match i bowled on a pitch where it didn't spin, so i knew i had to get that ball 45°, but the problem is i can't get the ball to go 45° with the same amount of spin, so can anyone give me tips to get the ball 45° ?

2) My second question is simple, my coaches ask me to bowl from around the wicket because they say i'm better around but when i bowl from around the wicket, if i'm bowling outside leg stump and i want to change my line to middle stump, do i have to change my arm angle or do i change my run-up angle?

3) My third question is about bowling to batsmen that can't bat, like i said i played my first match against batsmen who got out on every yorker the fast bowlers bowled, so when i bowl to them should i bowl a yorker to get them out or should i stick to bowling leg breaks and trying to deceive them , because at the end of the day i want wickets ?

Thanks, Shahid

Hey,

It's been a while i haven't posted on this forum.

I have three questions

I played my first match for my club, i only bowled 1 over because the opposition got out on every full ball from the fast bowlers. I conceded 4 runs in that over.

1) When i bowl a leg break, i naturally get the seam 90° to the pitch, when i bowled this in practice it used to spin, but in my first match i bowled on a pitch where it didn't spin, so i knew i had to get that ball 45°, but the problem is i can't get the ball to go 45° with the same amount of spin, so can anyone give me tips to get the ball 45° ?

2) My second question is simple, my coaches ask me to bowl from around the wicket because they say i'm better around but when i bowl from around the wicket, if i'm bowling outside leg stump and i want to change my line to middle stump, do i have to change my arm angle or do i change my run-up angle?

3) My third question is about bowling to batsmen that can't bat, like i said i played my first match against batsmen who got out on every yorker the fast bowlers bowled, so when i bowl to them should i bowl a yorker to get them out or should i stick to bowling leg breaks and trying to deceive them , because at the end of the day i want wickets ?

Thanks, Shahid
Hi Shahid, these are just my thoughts (I'm no expert)

1) I have the opposite problem. I'm working on it by going small, underarm throws, against brick wall, and solo in nets using a two-tone ball so I can see the seam position and get the right feedback (I recently bought two dozen two-tone balls for solo net practice, and consider it the best possible investment).

I don't quite understand why 45° would turn while 90° would not? However it's certainly worth pursuing.

Do you have a topspinner (0°-15°)? Perhaps work on that. The obvious way to bowl is to keep the seam always pointing at the batsman through delivery, so there's no real mystery to producing it. But if you can bowl that, and a 90° legspinner then 45° should sit between the two.

2) I'd say arm angle. Because the batsman shouldn't get any advance warning. They might very well not notice anyway, but let's always treat our opponent with respect, as Bruce Lee would say!

3) Aim for the stumps. I wouldn't worry too much about this. If the opposition crumble to your quicks, that's fine.

Thanks boogiespinner,

I don't bowl a very good top spinner but as you said if i work on that it would be easier to bowl the 45° Leg Break !! :D
The 90 ° Leg Spinner was what Shane Warne used for the slider on pitches that didn't turn the 90° Leg Break. And Because he couldn't use the 90° Leg Spinner as a straight ball on some pitches because it spun he used the straight ball bowled with a cross seam delivery from a fast bowler to replace that slider. :D

Anyway if you want to debate on that you can go to "Wrist Spin Part 5" Where people have been arguing over this issue. :p

The 90 ° Leg Spinner was what Shane Warne used for the slider on pitches that didn't turn the 90° Leg Break. And Because he couldn't use the 90° Leg Spinner as a straight ball on some pitches because it spun he used the straight ball bowled with a cross seam delivery from a fast bowler to replace that slider.

Not so. Shane Warne used the slider as his slider.

Shane Warne also varied his angle of spin from 90° through to 0° (I exclude his wronguns here). We are not robots, no two deliveries are identical.
You could bowl a ball at 44° and it will still be effective. There is no 'protractor in the sky' to measure these things. The variation is in the amount of overspin. Some pitches will be skiddier, and you'll need the overspin to get turn (and 90° will behave like sliders).

Not so. Shane Warne used the slider as his slider.

Shane Warne also varied his angle of spin from 90° through to 0° (I exclude his wronguns here). We are not robots, no two deliveries are identical.
You could bowl a ball at 44° and it will still be effective. There is no 'protractor in the sky' to measure these things. The variation is in the amount of overspin. Some pitches will be skiddier, and you'll need the overspin to get turn (and 90° will behave like sliders).
I never said a 44° delivery won't spin, but the perfect seam is 45 °.

My point is that you aren't limited to 0° or 45° or 90° only. Warne varied his spin between 0° and 90°.

So for you, who is asking the question "how do I do it?" I would take the advice offered earlier from boogiespinner about getting the two-tone balls and playing around with more and less topspin to see what you can do.

Aww shit, I was hoping you wouldn't look in this thread.

Completely unrelated, my new variation (only just started bowling them in my head) is a knuckle/carrom ball combined with a doosra.
I call it 'the grinch'.

You can't get the grinch on camera. Like the tooth fairy, it is elusive.

I am going to vid some doosra attempts though, I'll post those.

Back