Twenty20 Champions League

mas cambios

Twenty20 Champions League

Wondering what people's thoughts on this is? I think it's a great idea but with a few potentially massive issues.

Firstly, I don't like the fact that the IPL franchises want first dibs on any player with a potential clash. For example, Hampshire captain Dimitri Mascarenhas would have to play for Rajasthan Royals in the world event if both sides qualify. Surely, they should have loyalties to their state or county side first?

Secondly the banning of any team from entering if they use players who have appeared in the ICL. I know that the IPL has problems with the ICL but surely punishing other teams is not the way forward. Seriously, did the ICL really hurt the IPL? I don't think so and it would appear that both competitions are able to exist side by side, well at least for the time being. They should let the matter die, after all they've already done their level best to exterminate the ICL. From an English point of view then only three counties have squads which have no ICL connections - Somerset, Essex and Middlesex; a massive legal mess is just waiting to happen.

Re: Twenty20 Champions League

First of all, I love the idea.

So stupid that the IPL wants first dibs on players. They aren't the king of the world, the ICC needs to step in and stand up to them for once.

Victoria will lose their three best batsman, one of which is their captain and two of which are vital to bowling the 20 overs, and I think Victoria will really struggle without them. We are no chance.

Don't worry Jonesy, Victoria won't lose any players. Kolkota and Bangalore didn't qualify for it, only Chennai and Rajasthan did. And yes it is a stupid idea to give IPL teams first dibs. Like you said Jonesy, its not like Modi is king of the cricketing world. Its just selfish.

Besides all that junk, seems like a pretty good idea, although there should be 2 teams from each full country. Just so it is a bit more global

The latest shot is that the ICL are considering legal action if any of their players are blocked.

You can read about it at the BBC. Essentially, they'll use the restraint of trade angle and take if from there.

I think it's a good idea but limiting it to only 4 nations is a bit harsh, but you can sort of see where they're coming from.

Modi trying to disqualify teams fielding ICL players and claiming the IPL teams have first call on players are obvious attempts to grab even more power and, in my view, his aims are selfish and misguided. The ECB should tell him where to stick it, tbh.

Although it would never happen, I would like to see an ICL India XI or ICL World XI in the Champions League - just to see how they'd match up.

Cricinfo said:
Asked whether only Essex and Middlesex stood a chance of being invited for the tournament, as they don't have ICL players, Modi said, "Yes, that's right." He also confirmed that if one of the two teams, or both, failed to reach the final, the BCCI would try to accommodate teams from other countries, including Pakistan, to complete the eight-team line-up.

Full story: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/362345.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I suppose it's a good thing that some of the other countries might get a look in but tbh, I think the blocking of the 'ICL counties' is just stupid power-grabbing by Modi. Do you think the BCCI could feasibly block counties on that premise without some form of legal action being taken??

The other point I heard recently was that the ECB might consider boycotting the event as the T20 winner will be invited into Stanford's scheme somehow. Do you think this is likely??

They won't block any teams, its all talk. If one of the teams with ICL players qualify, something will get worked out.

I heard a rumour that the ECB were going to run a Champions League in Dubai or Abu Dhabi if the proposed BCCI one doesn't go ahead but it's probably just a rumour.

Apparently most of the ECB money came from the Abu Dhabi royal family? It's a bit crazy by all accounts. First the BCCI had one - then they cancelled - then the ECB had one - then the BCCI is back on but English teams not invited .....

Insane!

Back